testtest

A serious message for and about us older folks

Y'all see that .... there's one of those 'facts' these folks get in their heads that are as wrong as they can be !!! ;):D

Also read it stated that they killed JW's dog was the reason for his killing spree and not that they took his Mustang.

Right y'all? ;):D

No, the facts are...

They mortally wounded his (first) dog when the broke into his house in order to steal his Mustang. It died next to him after dragging herself to him while he was lying unconcious on the floor.

BTW - better buy your Camero because Chevy is dropping it in two model years due to poor sales. Chevy said the Camero will be replaced by electric golf carts that will sell & perform much better.

Last edited:
Spread my ashes over the northern woods of Maine.

Save just a smidge and spread it in the surf of a beautiful beach and sunset. I hate mornings.
This is relative to "spreading the ashes" ............. a few years a go there was a very loyal and long time member of the local airboat club pass away. He had asked his wife to try to arrange to have his ashes blown out through the prop of an airboat out on the marshes he loved so much.

Well, the club prez at the time volunteered to ride the passed member's wife and son on his boat so they could let the ashes go to blow through the prop as/where they wanted while they just rode the miles of marsh around the St Johns river head waters with some 30 other member's boats in a tribute of sorts.

Unfortunately it made such a mess on that wooden prop, the boat owner almost had to replace it. It was so hard to get that residue off the prop, and almost impossible to get the stain out of the wood grain.

True story !!! Sad but true !!!

No, the facts are...

They killed his dog when the broke into his house in order to steal his Mustang.
Gotcha, so it could have been a little of both reasons he killed them .......... for stealing his Mustang and for killing his dog while doing it !!! I know I would kill them for both reasons ..... well, maybe not so much for stealing my Mustang, if I had one that is !!! ;):):):)

It is also cheaper. Years ago when my father died in Mexico while on vacation, we had considerable expense getting back to the USA, then a cheap transport casket to fly his body back to Illinois. Then a transport cost, an expensive casket (at my brother's insistence) and a visitation and a funeral with over 700 people at the visitation alone, then another transport and funeral at the town we all grew up in with another 800 people at an all day visitation.

When my mother died years later, she was cremated at her request, and we had a graveside service for family only. We didn't even put an obit in the paper.

When I go, I don't even want any ceremony. Cremation and no grave. I've already outlived half my friends and the other half may be too old to travel by that time. Family will understand.

Everyone has their own beliefs but I don't think it will much matter to me anyway and I think it will be a lot easier on my wife if she is still alive. My son likely won't care about ceremonies either.
Not tending anyone's business but one point I'd like to make is I've prepaid and all arrangements are made, as I relate to Frank Sinatra; "I did it my way". With one exception: burial as opposed to cremation. This is the one area I felt I owed the family in their grief (if they do grieve :)), burial was preferred to cremation. So why not? Again, it's for those left behind and I can be that considerate.

I'm no piker but let's crunch a bit. Burning was the least expensive way to go but not an option for me/family.

So. Was going to be buried at the driveway entrance to the farm but wifey put her foot down on that one: "no way in hell am I going to drive by you every time I come and go"!!

Grave plot at rural church $600
Amish made casket and
wooden "rough box" vault 950
Funeral Home charges for
embalming, open/close
grave, transport, graveside
service, ect, ect. 2600
Headstone, upright, granite
with plenty of graphics and
lettering. 650

Grand total for putting the
cranky old geezer to bed....... $4800.00

The least expensive casket shown in stock at the funeral home was nearly double that.
Would liked to have done better but satisfied with the deal.

Not tending anyone's business but one point I'd like to make is I've prepaid and all arrangements are made, as I relate to Frank Sinatra; "I did it my way". With one exception: burial as opposed to cremation. This is the one area I felt I owed the family in their grief (if they do grieve :)), burial was preferred to cremation. So why not? Again, it's for those left behind and I can be that considerate.

I'm no piker but let's crunch a bit. Burning was the least expensive way to go but not an option for me/family.

So. Was going to be buried at the driveway entrance to the farm but wifey put her foot down on that one: "no way in hell am I going to drive by you every time I come and go"!!

Grave plot at rural church $600
Amish made casket and
wooden "rough box" vault 950
Funeral Home charges for
embalming, open/close
grave, transport, graveside
service, ect, ect. 2600
Headstone, upright, granite
with plenty of graphics and
lettering. 650

Grand total for putting the
cranky old geezer to bed....... $4800.00

The least expensive casket shown in stock at the funeral home was nearly double that.
Would liked to have done better but satisfied with the deal.
My dad said every family member that was buried, no one ever goes to the graveside to mourn/ visit ever in the past. Thought about all deceased family and I dont think any living relative on any side of the family has gone to see any gravesite.

So we all decided on cremation for the currently living when we pass

My dad said every family member that was buried, no one ever goes to the graveside to mourn/ visit ever in the past. Thought about all deceased family and I dont think any living relative on any side of the family has gone to see any gravesite.

So we all decided on cremation for the currently living when we pass
I still believe/support burials. My fam does visit a number of relatives I knew, as well as ones only my dads gen knew.
But I’m interested in “eco cemeteries” ( although I dislike the moniker ). One I researched a few years back offers natural burial in either an untreated softwood casket such as pine (no metal fixtures) or in a simple linen shroud. The burial is normally unmarked , though the GPS site is recorded and (supposedly) kept in perpetuity. For those insisting on a stone, it must be local round river rock no larger than ____ , and limited inscription, and is not guaranteed to remain beyond a certain number of years. There is no embalming of course - intent is that you return to nature.
The place is some sort of wooded park, with hillsides and a few glens, and you or fam get to pick the spot (although it cannot interfere with an existing grave until after ___ number of years has passed). They seem to have NO problem with wildlife interfering with graves, which are not 6ft deep or whatever the standard is.
I could have some of the details wrong. But I def recall liking the idea, and still do. Seems quite dignified, to me anyhow.
Just wanted to share that option; I hope it’s still available.

I still believe/support burials. My fam does visit a number of relatives I knew, as well as ones only my dads gen knew.
But I’m interested in “eco cemeteries” ( although I dislike the moniker ). One I researched a few years back offers natural burial in either an untreated softwood casket such as pine (no metal fixtures) or in a simple linen shroud. The burial is normally unmarked , though the GPS site is recorded and (supposedly) kept in perpetuity. For those insisting on a stone, it must be local round river rock no larger than ____ , and limited inscription, and is not guaranteed to remain beyond a certain number of years. There is no embalming of course - intent is that you return to nature.
The place is some sort of wooded park, with hillsides and a few glens, and you or fam get to pick the spot (although it cannot interfere with an existing grave until after ___ number of years has passed). They seem to have NO problem with wildlife interfering with graves, which are not 6ft deep or whatever the standard is.
I could have some of the details wrong. But I def recall liking the idea, and still do. Seems quite dignified, to me anyhow.
Just wanted to share that option; I hope it’s still available.
I'm vaguely familiar with the concept and like it. I am troubled that for a viewing in a traditional burial, even the next day after death, the body must be embalmed or the casket not opened. Not a hard core environmentalist but millions of gallons of formaldehyde released at six feet into the earth? Where is it going and what is the result? I suggested the spouse just roll me down the ravine and let the hogs eat me, but she replied hogs would not be that hungry.

I'm vaguely familiar with the concept and like it. I am troubled that for a viewing in a traditional burial, even the next day after death, the body must be embalmed or the casket not opened. Not a hard core environmentalist but millions of gallons of formaldehyde released at six feet into the earth? Where is it going and what is the result? I suggested the spouse just roll me down the ravine and let the hogs eat me, but she replied hogs would not be that hungry.
That whole embalming, viewing, taking 2-4 days to lay someone to rest has a convoluted history…
The time factor of more than a day probably led to the embalming (although the egyptians & others had long done it for other reasons like religion). Embalming was once thought to be more sanitary than contaminating groundwater with decayed remains. Turns out of course that the chemicals are far worse in the long haul.
The need/desire for a ‘viewing’ or a wake seems to have some legal aspects: it’s more than just mourning & a chance to travel to comfort someone before the burial. It revolves around enough people other than family having the chance to see the body and confirm the death. This was to head off debtors families from being accused of faking a grave while the debtor fled the area for unknown places . Or some such. (Some debts became void or uncollectable on death, and couldn’t be enforced against the surviving fam or heirs. As I understand it). Almost all denominations forbade opening graves. It all pre-dates the issuing of legal death certificates by the state or local governing body.

Sorry for the unsolicited history lesson, and for any [dimly remembered] details; but you see how a ‘custom’ - our “proper burial” practices - evolved out of something that was once a somewhat more practical matter. And no longer necessary.

That whole embalming, viewing, taking 2-4 days to lay someone to rest has a convoluted history…
The time factor of more than a day probably led to the embalming (although the egyptians & others had long done it for other reasons like religion). Embalming was once thought to be more sanitary than contaminating groundwater with decayed remains. Turns out of course that the chemicals are far worse in the long haul.
The need/desire for a ‘viewing’ or a wake seems to have some legal aspects: it’s more than just mourning & a chance to travel to comfort someone before the burial. It revolves around enough people other than family having the chance to see the body and confirm the death. This was to head off debtors families from being accused of faking a grave while the debtor fled the area for unknown places . Or some such. (Some debts became void or uncollectable on death, and couldn’t be enforced against the surviving fam or heirs. As I understand it). Almost all denominations forbade opening graves. It all pre-dates the issuing of legal death certificates by the state or local governing body.

Sorry for the unsolicited history lesson, and for any [dimly remembered] details; but you see how a ‘custom’ - our “proper burial” practices - evolved out of something that was once a somewhat more practical matter. And no longer necessary.
Death (along with the entire healthcare business) is a business with a lot of (greedy) hands in the pot $$$$.

All is Vanity.

Back