testtest

A serious message for and about us older folks

I am coming up on my annual LEOSA qualification next month. In recent years I have been a bit melancholy at this time, as I lost a very good friend to cancer two years ago, who I did LEOSA quals with every year for years. He was a retired DEA firearms instructor and one of the finest marksmen I have ever met, and the two of us always had the best targets. The Sheriff's rangemaster always remarked that he wished their deputies could shoot that well. I approach qualification with purpose each year since Larry passed, as it is now my mission to hold up our standards. I will continue to do so for as many years as I can.

Looking back over the years, I have lost many friends and relatives, some suddenly, and some from lingering illnesses. When my Dad passed 30 years ago, the minister asked me what good memories I had, and whether I had any regrets. I told him that my greatest regret was that I had not spent more time with him when he was alive, and he told me that was a good regret to have. If I had it to do over, I would ask about his memories, take him fishing, go for long walks, and maybe do some squirrel hunting with him.

Since that time I have made it a habit to visit with old friends and family whenever I can, even when travel is involved. I would travel to their funerals after all, so why not go visit them when they are alive where we can reminisce and laugh together and perhaps break bread at least one more time.

I have a circle of friends who are dyed in the wool shooters and gun enthusiasts. We have had lunch together two or three times a week, for more than 10 years. We have told and retold our war stories and ailments so many times that all of us know all the others' tales and pains. We have lost two of our number in recent years and they are deeply missed at our table, but the loss has brought us closer. We used to meet for the shooting activities but now the shooting has become secondary to the fellowship (and lunch). There is always laughter at our table and the waitresses like us because we are all handsome and tip well. (Well, at least we tip well.)

My purpose for sharing in this forum of like minds is a reminder of how fragile life is, and how fleeting opportunities to celebrate life can be. We all understand the perils and the fragility of life. After all, we expend great energy on the topic of guns and ballistics and self defense. Let's also take some time to contemplate what friends and family mean to us, and let's not be left with great regrets. I intend to celebrate life to the greatest extent possible, while packing a .45, and I will have that 1911 I have been jonesing for. (Dang, I like saying "packing a .45"). BTW, after practicing the course of fire, lunch today will be cajun shrimp boil and the re-telling of tales.

This post makes me wonder wtf happened with my generation. The past couple of years, the culture war has torn apart just about everyone in my circle of friends and family I thought I was close with. I honestly feel like my sister, my wife, and my best friend from college are the only people I have left in the country that live in reality.

My best friend from childhood visited me about a year ago, stayed with me a couple weeks at my house. It was great catching up, and having fun, until I realized he had massive TDS, and accused me of being brainwashed while reciting CNN verbatim. All because I tried to fact check and debunk a couple of news stories he brought up.

Yes, it can make people wonder. Possibly a good thing? People and things change sometimes because of different experiences in their travels or locations. Society usually changes because of employment, sometimes education or obligation. Sadly, have one friend left from 50 years ago that know of. All other friends are newer ones. Societies changing, why? Family's moving, sometimes all over the world, can bring many changes and viewpoints, some unexpected ones too, like how to act, what to do about what and when and where? What's "Fun" thought, right or wrong sometimes also change?

Changes because of what? Globalization? Possibly some of it. Why thought about? Sometimes, the "Oneness" of Globalization can screw up families and friends and other things like many of us are experiencing now? And, it's not just employment either. IE: Virus and other illnesses passed from country to country, society to society. What does work in one doesn't always work well in other environments....possibly it only works from a desk bound jockies view point? Simple things like average climate and weather can also have a determining factor of some things. Being in climate controled offices and other buildings don't really offer some advantages.

Families and friends also pass on many things besides good times and bad. They also pass on information and feelings. If they lose contact? Effects of Globalization?....unintended consequences or something else entirely?

For example: Tribalization, the joining together of certain peoples in certain areas is there for many reasons. Big one is survival of cultures, societies, ethics, customs ....and families because of many things and usually because those things actually work well for them in their environment.

Sometimes, it's also something else too and can go both ways. Compound / complex issues may come to mind? Like computers, cell phones and other electronic devices for example in some ways can distance people instead of getting them together more too if thought about? Mixed blessings on how they're used? - Actual physical socialization can be pretty difficult to find sometimes because of electronics, because it can also cause less physical contact by someone calling someone else instead of actually visiting them in person? Sad thing can be, physical contact is usually how people learn and relate the best from my experience. To me, from my viewpoint, the issue or solution can be a mixture of many things and more difficult to diagnose difficulties of family, friends and societies drifts. Good leadership is a key to those things being around, existing and working together better. If good leadership is nonexistent, missing or gone, society may suffer?

This post makes me wonder wtf happened with my generation. The past couple of years, the culture war has torn apart just about everyone in my circle of friends and family I thought I was close with. I honestly feel like my sister, my wife, and my best friend from college are the only people I have left in the country that live in reality.

My best friend from childhood visited me about a year ago, stayed with me a couple weeks at my house. It was great catching up, and having fun, until I realized he had massive TDS, and accused me of being brainwashed while reciting CNN verbatim. All because I tried to fact check and debunk a couple of news stories he brought up.
You hit the nail on the head. This sort of thing began happening to me back during the Algore/hanging chad era. A guy I ran with for years in school came out to my house to hang out and drink a few beers. I hadn't seen him in a decade or so. Everything was fine until he brought up politics and insisted that Algore wasn't anti-gun. He got so worked up I threw him out of the house. Fast forward another 10 years or so and my band is playing in a popular local club and I see his smoking hot sister and her longtime boyfriend ( who the last time I saw him i beat the hell out of him). I hadn't seen them in a decade or so either. Sure enough Shawn was with them. He stood right in front of the stage watching me intently the whole night and on a break the dude was straight up my azz the whole time, talking about guitars and my bass and my gear. Later I went over and talked to Dawn and her boyfriend Joe and all I heard from Joe was how Shawn was living with them, mooching off them, wouldn't get a job and how sick they were of him. Bouncers ended up throwing Shawn out because he was drunk and belligerent. In a strange twist of fate Joe and I ended up becoming friends. I went shooting and fishing with him a few times after that.

I am of the mind that politics shouldn't interfere with friendship and being civil, but there are a large number of people I knew, grew up with and ran around with who no longer associate with me, of their own volition, because they are so controlled by media fueled, political division they choose only to associate with other people who think like they do. One of these people was a guy who was my best friend since I was about 4 years old. And his sister too, who was like a sister to me growing up ( other than the fact that she was hot, older than me and horny). And their mother who was really like a second mom to me won't talk to me anymore either. Is it just a coincidence that my best old ex friend Scott, his hot older sister Scarlett and my other old buddy Shawn are all so F'ed up ? They're all drunks, no jobs, living off other people, constantly whining about rich people or the environment or whatever other crap CNN tells them to be mad about.

Let me address the hot sisters for a moment. Shawn's ( the first guy) sister Dawn and her boyfriend Joe always had a strange relationship. Joe hung on her even as she constantly blew him off. Dawn and Joe were about 5 years older than me and Joe was always a big guy. Now I had been with Dawn before and one night at a party she walked up to me and laid a big kiss on me, which made Joe upset and sadly I ended up kicking the crap out of him in front of all his friends. My band was playing that night too. My other best old ex friend Scott was the guitarist in that band. In an even weirder coincidence Shawn and Dawn's mom was a school teacher, very attractive and also took a piece of me one night. And I do mean took. She knew exactly what she wanted and basically ordered me to give it to her, not that I objected. On to Scott's sister Scarlett. I was infatuated with her from a young age. And she had a friend Jodi who was even hotter who I was also infatuated with. And another friend named Darla too now that I think about it. All of them were 2 or 3 years older than me. Long about the time I was 16 or so I got around to them all. Ya know, thinking back I really had a pretty great childhood. Starting with my teenage babysitter when I was about 11 or 12. Sorry for the long winded story, but it seemed relevant before I typed it all out. lol

Almost none of those people ( except Jodi, who I consider my sister and is a life long dear friend ) are part of my life anymore. In fact, other than my immediate family, the guitarist in my last band and that crazy azz cop who's training me currently, I really don't have any friends. I have 2 cats I love. Probably just as well. I'm about as misanthropic as one can get without being institutionalized for it.

Great Post !!
I just recently lost my best friend and shooting partner of 50 years, spoke to him last Sunday joking that when I go he will have to take care of my meager collection and he passed on Monday.
We all have phones and we are not that busy to call" not text" the ones we love just to hear their voice.
Remember tomorrow is promised to no one.
Enjoy today like it's your last.

Th
You hit the nail on the head. This sort of thing began happening to me back during the Algore/hanging chad era. A guy I ran with for years in school came out to my house to hang out and drink a few beers. I hadn't seen him in a decade or so. Everything was fine until he brought up politics and insisted that Algore wasn't anti-gun. He got so worked up I threw him out of the house. Fast forward another 10 years or so and my band is playing in a popular local club and I see his smoking hot sister and her longtime boyfriend ( who the last time I saw him i beat the hell out of him). I hadn't seen them in a decade or so either. Sure enough Shawn was with them. He stood right in front of the stage watching me intently the whole night and on a break the dude was straight up my azz the whole time, talking about guitars and my bass and my gear. Later I went over and talked to Dawn and her boyfriend Joe and all I heard from Joe was how Shawn was living with them, mooching off them, wouldn't get a job and how sick they were of him. Bouncers ended up throwing Shawn out because he was drunk and belligerent. In a strange twist of fate Joe and I ended up becoming friends. I went shooting and fishing with him a few times after that.

I am of the mind that politics shouldn't interfere with friendship and being civil, but there are a large number of people I knew, grew up with and ran around with who no longer associate with me, of their own volition, because they are so controlled by media fueled, political division they choose only to associate with other people who think like they do. One of these people was a guy who was my best friend since I was about 4 years old. And his sister too, who was like a sister to me growing up ( other than the fact that she was hot, older than me and horny). And their mother who was really like a second mom to me won't talk to me anymore either. Is it just a coincidence that my best old ex friend Scott, his hot older sister Scarlett and my other old buddy Shawn are all so F'ed up ? They're all drunks, no jobs, living off other people, constantly whining about rich people or the environment or whatever other crap CNN tells them to be mad about.

Let me address the hot sisters for a moment. Shawn's ( the first guy) sister Dawn and her boyfriend Joe always had a strange relationship. Joe hung on her even as she constantly blew him off. Dawn and Joe were about 5 years older than me and Joe was always a big guy. Now I had been with Dawn before and one night at a party she walked up to me and laid a big kiss on me, which made Joe upset and sadly I ended up kicking the crap out of him in front of all his friends. My band was playing that night too. My other best old ex friend Scott was the guitarist in that band. In an even weirder coincidence Shawn and Dawn's mom was a school teacher, very attractive and also took a piece of me one night. And I do mean took. She knew exactly what she wanted and basically ordered me to give it to her, not that I objected. On to Scott's sister Scarlett. I was infatuated with her from a young age. And she had a friend Jodi who was even hotter who I was also infatuated with. And another friend named Darla too now that I think about it. All of them were 2 or 3 years older than me. Long about the time I was 16 or so I got around to them all. Ya know, thinking back I really had a pretty great childhood. Starting with my teenage babysitter when I was about 11 or 12. Sorry for the long winded story, but it seemed relevant before I typed it all out. lol

Almost none of those people ( except Jodi, who I consider my sister and is a life long dear friend ) are part of my life anymore. In fact, other than my immediate family, the guitarist in my last band and that crazy azz cop who's training me currently, I really don't have any friends. I have 2 cats I love. Probably just as well. I'm about as misanthropic as one can get without being institutionalized for it.
There's a movie script in there...

😉

Great Post !!
I just recently lost my best friend and shooting partner of 50 years, spoke to him last Sunday joking that when I go he will have to take care of my meager collection and he passed on Monday.
We all have phones and we are not that busy to call" not text" the ones we love just to hear their voice.
Remember tomorrow is promised to no one.
Enjoy today like it's your last.

I'm sorry to read that, @Wirenut - my condolences to you and his loved ones.

That part about the cell/text really speaks to me because just two years ago, it took the passing of my Godfather (not unexpected, as he had been in and out of care homes and hospices for years prior to his passing) for me to catch up with my cousin again. He's perhaps the closest thing I have got to a brother, as we spent many years of our childhood together: for example, I joke that I never get coughs now, because I had so much un-needed cough syrup as a kid, when I'd take the medicine with him (he's 6 years my junior) -even though I wasn't sick- to help him take it. 🤮 :ROFLMAO:

We now touch base daily, often spending a half-hour or more.

"The present," indeed.

and

I am of the mind that politics shouldn't interfere with friendship and being civil, but there are a large number of people I knew, grew up with and ran around with who no longer associate with me, of their own volition, because they are so controlled by media fueled, political division they choose only to associate with other people who think like they do.

It used to be that things like that didn't matter - it used to be that friends even celebrated their differences. Somewhere along the line, the definition of what and who we associated with and called our "friend" changed. Now, it seems to me, it's all about people wanting to only be with those only think the same as they do and see things in the same way they do.

I actually like it that my friends may not think the same as I do. I actually like it that they challenge my views and can help me explore and see the world in a different light.

In the end, we understand that each of us is more than just a single descriptor. We understand that as a person, each of us can hold completely divergent beliefs and yet still reconcile them: so why can't we reconcile between each other? ;)
We share a drink. A bite. A laugh. Our friendships are based on the fact that we believe that no matter what our political, religious, or any other singular characteristic of our personality does not define the whole of who we are - that our friend is a good person, which is really all that matters.

Good story. You sucked my right into your world.

I moved around a lot as a kid due to my step dad's job, so I was always the new kid. As an adult I moved around a lot with the Army. Due to this I have no lifelong friends. Really no friends at all, just coworkers that I'm friendly with. I do not share the same interests with these individuals, so it makes it hard to develop a friendship. Currently, I'm shooting and vacationing with a couple who recently lost their adult Son. The woman is a long time friend of my wife and the man is a veteran. I worry about his pain coupled with PTSD, so I call and visit with him often. He's on the journey to EDC, so I'm providing him with all the information I can.

I actually like it that my friends may not think the same as I do. I actually like it that they challenge my views and can help me explore and see the world in a different light.

In the end, we understand that each of us is more than just a single descriptor. We understand that as a person, each of us can hold completely divergent beliefs and yet still reconcile them: so why can't we reconcile between each other? ;)
We share a drink. A bite. A laugh. Our friendships are based on the fact that we believe that no matter what our political, religious, or any other singular characteristic of our personality does not define the whole of who we are - that our friend is a good person, which is really all that matters.

I used to agree with your statement wholeheartedly. I loved having discussions about different points of view. Lately however it seems that two things are happening:

1. More and more people are not listening. They just wait until it is their turn to speak and rattle back their point of view without really addressing any information that is contrary to their beliefs.
2. Far too many people have too short of attention spans to listen to detailed disagreements. It also seems like they hate truly factual data because they just want to think with emotions and ignore logic.

Those kinds of conversations are a waste of time because neither side learns anything and people end up getting mad.

When people of different political sides get together these days it seems the only thing that happens is a fight. People used to be able to discuss things from both sides and stay pretty much peacefull . It doesn't happen that way anymore.

I think it all has to do with the media too. The media lie , twist , and coverup everything to grab more headlines. The media pretty much tries to tell us how to think about things. Many fall for this twisted and misinformation feed we are given from the media , which keeps people fired up.

That's all I got to say about that.

Absolutely not true…..did you hit your head again?……..🤥🤥
Ford, Chevy better? Nuh, uh, well maybe? Am thinking maybe Peterbuilt builds the best pickup? :)

EDIT: More on same truck:

Th

There's a movie script in there...

😉
I'm not sure if I should feel lucky or if I should feel like life continually kicked me in the teeth, but I literally could write 15 or 20 screen plays based on stuff that has happened to me in my short time in this world. I pulled often from that pool during my English composition classes way back in the day and more than once I wrote papers on the car ride to class and got As on them, not so much for sentence structure, grammar and punctuation, but because they were damn interesting and funny. I might have been able to make a go at writing. It would entail a pay cut though.

I don't do friends. Have not since high school. Enjoy casual/business contacts, get along well with anyone. No ones Judge. Don't share a beer with anyone, don't do a meal with anyone. Rather bust a cap alone too. Durn near every human seems to be so shallow their world stops after Sports, FB and other social media, Fashion, what the fake no news says, Hellywood, "celebrities", and who the hell are they? Games: on the cell, on the TV, on the radio, Playstation, in the Rap a Crap, and head games and mind games and sell you something games and what you got compared to what I got status games and what you got that I want games and all in yer head games cuz yer life is a game. What other folks think is humor is only silly to me; what breaks me up is a "I don't get it" for them. What is reality for me seems a mystery to others. My old school values fit into very few lives. My strong Christian Faith is a turn off to most. What I'm willing to do without, others simply have to have and the can't/won't live without. A dishrag handshake with no eye contact is a turn off. If you are unable to say what you mean then shut up rather than say what you believe someone wants to hear.
Frivolous. Cheap. Disposable. Insincere. Part time and short lived and for benefit only is where society is now with relationships. What is dear and has great value and something I would fight and die for is worthless or nearly so to others. It only takes a few sentences to discover who you are talking to is hearing but not listening. And if I'm not interested in what another person is into I don't respond to it; folks can't take that. Authentic, genuine, honest to goodness life seems to have vaporized since the advent of the "digit". A photo, a video (can be edited to show anything), a news snippet, a twitter/clitter quote, an advertisement, a waste of time TV panel/anchor/unreality show, an OMG or thumbs up on FB is what's really real. The escape from real life is nearly complete. Unsocial media, digital, zoom us, texting, selfie sending phones, email, may be a fine way to stay in touch but it does not build true lasting relationships.

Sorry ur bored but I'm not finished.

I can/will be civil to anyone. Up to a point. If you don't believe in God, that's OK with me. Someday you will. As close to a friend that I have does not and we have an occasional great exchange about other topics. If you are not a Conservative/ Bible/Constitution/Flag/Country/Family/loving person, that is OK too. BUT, if you believe that I should not hold those values and have those rights and want to deny me those then I'm going to cool off on you quickly. If you are a person that expresses a desire for laws that strip me of my rights to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and hundredth amendment, demand I'm not entitled to it, that Faith, Honor, and Courage should take a knee to Tyranny, Government intrusion, and all the groupies/Parties/Pantywaists/hypersensitive Caspers Milquetoast types then if I'm in your company I'm going to leave and if you are in my company I'll ask you to leave.

So I remain hopeful, happy, positive and content without friends.

I don't do friends. Have not since high school. Enjoy casual/business contacts, get along well with anyone. No ones Judge. Don't share a beer with anyone, don't do a meal with anyone. Rather bust a cap alone too. Durn near every human seems to be so shallow their world stops after Sports, FB and other social media, Fashion, what the fake no news says, Hellywood, "celebrities", and who the hell are they? Games: on the cell, on the TV, on the radio, Playstation, in the Rap a Crap, and head games and mind games and sell you something games and what you got compared to what I got status games and what you got that I want games and all in yer head games cuz yer life is a game. What other folks think is humor is only silly to me; what breaks me up is a "I don't get it" for them. What is reality for me seems a mystery to others. My old school values fit into very few lives. My strong Christian Faith is a turn off to most. What I'm willing to do without, others simply have to have and the can't/won't live without. A dishrag handshake with no eye contact is a turn off. If you are unable to say what you mean then shut up rather than say what you believe someone wants to hear.
Frivolous. Cheap. Disposable. Insincere. Part time and short lived and for benefit only is where society is now with relationships. What is dear and has great value and something I would fight and die for is worthless or nearly so to others. It only takes a few sentences to discover who you are talking to is hearing but not listening. And if I'm not interested in what another person is into I don't respond to it; folks can't take that. Authentic, genuine, honest to goodness life seems to have vaporized since the advent of the "digit". A photo, a video (can be edited to show anything), a news snippet, a twitter/clitter quote, an advertisement, a waste of time TV panel/anchor/unreality show, an OMG or thumbs up on FB is what's really real. The escape from real life is nearly complete. Unsocial media, digital, zoom us, texting, selfie sending phones, email, may be a fine way to stay in touch but it does not build true lasting relationships.

Sorry ur bored but I'm not finished.

I can/will be civil to anyone. Up to a point. If you don't believe in God, that's OK with me. Someday you will. As close to a friend that I have does not and we have an occasional great exchange about other topics. If you are not a Conservative/ Bible/Constitution/Flag/Country/Family/loving person, that is OK too. BUT, if you believe that I should not hold those values and have those rights and want to deny me those then I'm going to cool off on you quickly. If you are a person that expresses a desire for laws that strip me of my rights to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and hundredth amendment, demand I'm not entitled to it, that Faith, Honor, and Courage should take a knee to Tyranny, Government intrusion, and all the groupies/Parties/Pantywaists/hypersensitive Caspers Milquetoast types then if I'm in your company I'm going to leave and if you are in my company I'll ask you to leave.

So I remain hopeful, happy, positive and content without friends.
I agree 100% with your attitude because it's mostly mine as well. I am not Christian, but I don't mind if anyone else is. I was raised Lutheran and my parents are Christian, church every Sunday, etc.. I am conservative though and I am observant enough to have noticed Christians being attacked in this country for the last 30 years. Most of my friends and family are faithful. I also don't mind discussing theology and the bible as I am extremely well read and well versed in both. I will even accept a small amount of being preached to or someone trying to change my mind as long as it is brief and not accompanied by attacks or " You're going to hell, etc.." I am perfectly willing to discuss why I think no man is reverend unto me and why I don't think there is a hell, for example. My faith, or lack of it, aside, I formed those two opinions based on the bible.

Anyway, yeah, I have very little use for people in general.

Back