testtest

Carry vs No Guns sign.

I respect property rights as well as the Bill of Rights. It's the owner's right to not allow firearms - not me, bring em by and we'll hang out ;). But as said before, in my state of Florida, signs have no law behind them unless they're government - schools, courthouses, etc.

I can't remember the last time I saw a sign here.

If noticed in pamphlet, basically says it's just guidelines to be aware of. Pamphlet basically goes on to say seek professional counsel or specific law elsewhere for more details. Am thinking consequences are in the details found elsewhere?
I'm confident that it is covered somewhere in the Ohio Revised Code, but it's late. If I have time tomorrow, I'll look it up.

Isn’t this a non-issue unless you are one of those crazy open carry guys?
Not really; at the heart of it, it comes down to respect for others’ rights.

If someone carry past a sign, legal or not, they are disrespecting the business owner’s wishes; the way I see it, they have no call to complain about their rights getting trampled on when they do it to others.

Just because one carries concealed and “nobody knows” is meaningless—and a lie; the carrier knows, and is willfully disrespectful of the business’s wishes.

And again—why would anyone want to give that business money, anyway? Pay ‘em—that’s one way to stick it to the libs!:rolleyes:

If someone carry past a sign, legal or not, they are disrespecting the business owner’s wishes; the way I see it, they have no call to complain about their rights getting trampled on when they do it to others.

Just because one carries concealed and “nobody knows” is meaningless—and a lie; the carrier knows, and is willfully disrespectful of the business’s wishes.

And again—why would anyone want to give that business money, anyway? Pay ‘em—that’s one way to stick it to the libs!:rolleyes:
I need to remember this the next time I see one of those signs.

I see your point and I don’t patronize those businesses. Still, if I had no choice I would ignore the sign before I would leave it in my car.

Not leaving my piece anywhere but on me; ain't asking & ain't tell'n and respecting everyone I come to.
Business can not (legally) discriminate against a wide range of citizens, (race, religion, etc.etc.) and should
not discriminate against the rights of the Constitution. Signage against CC is just another cancel culture tactic.
You weren't paying attention to my post on hypothetical reality: If the honorable packing citizen fails to see a
sign and a perp walks past the sign with intent to commit crimes and the honorable packer has no exit when the
SHTF and (perhaps) saves the business owner (or his customers), who is going to do what??? Does not the saving
of someone trump failing to see a sign?? And yes, we all acknowledge that Owners, LE, Prosectors, and Judges do
not always honor the honorable citizen with the values and courage to do the right thing. I'm willing to take the risk.;)

Not leaving my piece anywhere but on me; ain't asking & ain't tell'n and respecting everyone I come to.
Business can not (legally) discriminate against a wide range of citizens, (race, religion, etc.etc.) and should
not discriminate against the rights of the Constitution. Signage against CC is just another cancel culture tactic.
You weren't paying attention to my post on hypothetical reality: If the honorable packing citizen fails to see a
sign and a perp walks past the sign with intent to commit crimes and the honorable packer has no exit when the
SHTF and (perhaps) saves the business owner (or his customers), who is going to do what??? Does not the saving
of someone trump failing to see a sign?? And yes, we all acknowledge that Owners, LE, Prosectors, and Judges do
not always honor the honorable citizen with the values and courage to do the right thing. I'm willing to take the risk.;)
Nope.

YOU are allowed to enter; YOUR FIREARM is not.

They are not allowing an inanimate object on their premises; they are not preventing a person from entering.

No discrimination involved in the slightest.

And you are, in fact, showing great disrespect for them by blatantly ignoring their wishes.

And again, if you don’t like it, why not go somewhere else and give your money to someone who supports your right to carry? Why are you giving your money to an anti-2A business?

There's a small town, rural grocery store very near here. They've been here for years. Much longer than I have been alive. They're a little higher on stuff than Wal-mart or whatever, but they have a union meat department and excellent meat and I have always preferred to give my money to actual local people over big chains. A while back, maybe 5-6 years ago, I pulled up one day to see a " No concealed firearms" sign on the front window. I went inside and expressed my disappointment ( respectfully ) to the store manager and told him I would be doing my grocery shopping elsewhere. He was taken aback and didn't really say anything. I quit shopping there. A couple months later I HAD to go there for something. I wasn't happy about it. When I pulled up there was no longer a sign in the window and it was replaced by a round NRA sticker. I have no idea what precipitated the change, but I assume I wasn't the only one to express my disappointment with them. I like to think that maybe the manager was overruled by the actual store owner, but who the hell knows. I do know that the place I live is very, VERY lopsided ideologically and particularly where guns are concerned. It's almost certain that store would have went down the tubes had they insisted on continuing that policy.

Another small town about 10 miles down the road from me has a Walmart and a Schnucks ( Schnucks is a massive, local grocery chain). About the time when that idiot called up a Wal-mart and told them he was going to be testing their 2A allegiance by visiting their store with an AR slung on his back, and then actually did it, both of those chains instituted a policy against open carry in their stores. They were VERY careful to point out that they were only prohibiting open carry, not concealed carry. AFAIK, they haven't suffered too much as a result of their policy.

There's a small town, rural grocery store very near here. They've been here for years. Much longer than I have been alive. They're a little higher on stuff than Wal-mart or whatever, but they have a union meat department and excellent meat and I have always preferred to give my money to actual local people over big chains. A while back, maybe 5-6 years ago, I pulled up one day to see a " No concealed firearms" sign on the front window. I went inside and expressed my disappointment ( respectfully ) to the store manager and told him I would be doing my grocery shopping elsewhere. He was taken aback and didn't really say anything. I quit shopping there. A couple months later I HAD to go there for something. I wasn't happy about it. When I pulled up there was no longer a sign in the window and it was replaced by a round NRA sticker. I have no idea what precipitated the change, but I assume I wasn't the only one to express my disappointment with them. I like to think that maybe the manager was overruled by the actual store owner, but who the hell knows. I do know that the place I live is very, VERY lopsided ideologically and particularly where guns are concerned. It's almost certain that store would have went down the tubes had they insisted on continuing that policy.

Another small town about 10 miles down the road from me has a Walmart and a Schnucks ( Schnucks is a massive, local grocery chain). About the time when that idiot called up a Wal-mart and told them he was going to be testing their 2A allegiance by visiting their store with an AR slung on his back, and then actually did it, both of those chains instituted a policy against open carry in their stores. They were VERY careful to point out that they were only prohibiting open carry, not concealed carry. AFAIK, they haven't suffered too much as a result of their policy.
GunTalk discussed similar ways of convincing business owners to reverse anti 2A policy decisions.

I keep seeing the word respect used in this thread, but as a white middle aged male gun owner, I am the least respected person at this time in America.
The whole thread would never be an issue if the store owner respected me enough to simple follow the same law I'm expected to follow.

I keep seeing the word respect used in this thread, but as a white middle aged male gun owner, I am the least respected person at this time in America.
The whole thread would never be an issue if the store owner respected me enough to simple follow the same law I'm expected to follow.
It is kinda rich telling us we should respect someone when they clearly don't respect our rights, but it is a very valid point when Hans asks why we would want to support an anti-gun establishment.

But that’s not the point.

You don’t get to do whatever you want on another person’s property/business…they can make whatever rules they want, for the most part…

Like ammo businesses who refuse to sell to anyone who voted for Biden, for example.

It is kinda rich telling us we should respect someone when they clearly don't respect our rights, but it is a very valid point when Hans asks why we would want to support an anti-gun establishment.

The businesses aren’t saying you can’t carry outside their business—they just don’t want you doing it on their property.

Again, no different from a gun store telling someone wearing a Biden t-shirt to leave.

The businesses aren’t saying you can’t carry outside their business—they just don’t want you doing it on their property.

Again, no different from a gun store telling someone wearing a Biden t-shirt to leave.
It's a little different. For starters how many examples of that actually happening do you have? Also it could easily be viewed as a safety hazard to walk into a gun store wearing a Biden shirt. At a minimum it would almost certainly cause some sort of drama inside a building filled with guns, which isn't the best idea. And I just don't believe many Biden supporters have the testicular fortitude to try it so it's kind of a strawman argument. While I do agree that businesses have the right to set the rules for what's acceptable on their property and I also agree that your scenario is as much an infringement on the 1A as the signs are on the 2A, at least the store in your scenario is putting their money where their mouth is and straight up telling Biden supporters " We don't want your business".

It's a little different. For starters how many examples of that actually happening do you have? Also it could easily be viewed as a safety hazard to walk into a gun store wearing a Biden shirt. At a minimum it would almost certainly cause some sort of drama inside a building filled with guns, which isn't the best idea. And I just don't believe many Biden supporters have the testicular fortitude to try it so it's kind of a strawman argument. While I do agree that businesses have the right to set the rules for what's acceptable on their property and I also agree that your scenario is as much an infringement on the 1A as the signs are on the 2A, at least the store in your scenario is putting their money where their mouth is and straight up telling Biden supporters " We don't want your business".
There were a few instances than came up last year; and the online ammo stores that required you to click a box saying you didn't vote for Biden were posted here; there was a case where someone did click it, and there was a whole lot of support on this board for the ammo seller...

Clicking that box is the same as a "No carry" sign; it's letting you know they don't want your business up front.

michigan-ammunition-company-refuses-to-sell-to-biden-voters

There were a few instances than came up last year; and the online ammo stores that required you to click a box saying you didn't vote for Biden were posted here; there was a case where someone did click it, and there was a whole lot of support on this board for the ammo seller...

Clicking that box is the same as a "No carry" sign; it's letting you know they don't want your business up front.

michigan-ammunition-company-refuses-to-sell-to-biden-voters
I disagree that stores with no carry signs don't want your business. As evidenced by the story I told a few posts up. If they didn't want your business the signs would say " No gun owners" or " Proudly anti-gun, don't like it, get the hell out" or something like that.

Back