testtest

Bourbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LicensedToPill

Operator
I’m sure there are many of you that love bourbon. One of my favorite things to do is come home from the range, break down and clean my firearms, and enjoy a bourbon, neat, while doing so. I wanted to see what everyone’s favorite bourbons are and what recommendations do people have. Below is the list of my favorites and a list of ones I want to try.

Favorites:
  • 1792 Small Batch
  • Basil Hayden’s
  • Blanton’s Original Single Barrel
  • Buffalo Trace
  • Bulleit 10 Year
  • Eagle Rare
  • Elijah Craig
  • Four Roses Single Barrel
  • Jefferson’s Reserve
  • Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve 120 Proof
  • Woodford Reserve
  • Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Try List:
  • Basil Hayden’s 10 Year
  • Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch
  • Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year
  • Jefferson’s Ocean Aged at Sea
  • Old Forester 1920 Prohibition

• Old Rip Van Winkle...
  • Pappy Van Winkle...

2C408CD3-CC6A-44C8-B45B-E8D904D2ABE4.jpeg

Not bourbon but ...
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey
Rittwnhouse Rye 100 proof

i got tired off all the usual suspects in the bourbon field

... and Pappys is over rated for the hype, expense and wait times.. A great single malt scotch for the money is better IMO.. i have had lots of Pappy in my line of work and it always underwhelms me

been in the spirits biz for 28 years selling luxury spirits.

Single malt guy here. Better flavor to me, instead of the muddy tones of blends. I'm a big fan of Islay malts - love the peat smoke. A single drop of cold well-water in a glass with 2 fingers of whisky, really brings out the peat. Laphroaig is my go-to; I have 12, 15, and Reserve in the cabinet. Also love me some Macallan, my hip flask has Mac30 in it if I remember correctly and I have a bottle of 12 on standby in the cabinet. I also have a partial (hehe) bottle of 12 year old Yamazaki, a Japanese sherry-cask single that won the World Whisky Competition in...I want to say '16 or '17. Outstanding stuff. IF you can find a bottle, I strongly recommend it. Not inexpensive, but it is amazing. Not harsh, great flavors, mild peat smoke, and a very smooth finish. Another one I really like is my Bunnahabhain 18 year old - gorgeous flavors, mild smoke, and a nice crisp finish.

"Utility" whisky for me is Jameson, or Knot. Knot is more liqueur than whisky in my book, but it's much less harsh and has a very nice vanilla tone to it. For the times when we're entertaining the ladies...this is a good option, to keep from turning them off whisky's altogether.

Note: "utility" to me is sitting around having drinks with friends, focusing on the friends more than the whisky. For the "good stuff"...I tend to sit alone, on my porch overlooking four states (1501' elevation), with my dogs, a whisky, and on a really good day...a nice Key West Cuban-seed cigar.

That photo above...looks like an OUTSTANDING way to chill whisky without watering it down. I may throw some of my .308 in the freezer for such an occasion!

I’m sure there are many of you that love bourbon. One of my favorite things to do is come home from the range, break down and clean my firearms, and enjoy a bourbon, neat, while doing so. I wanted to see what everyone’s favorite bourbons are and what recommendations do people have. Below is the list of my favorites and a list of ones I want to try.

Favorites:
  • 1792 Small Batch
  • Basil Hayden’s
  • Blanton’s Original Single Barrel
  • Buffalo Trace
  • Bulleit 10 Year
  • Eagle Rare
  • Elijah Craig
  • Four Roses Single Barrel
  • Jefferson’s Reserve
  • Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve 120 Proof
  • Woodford Reserve
  • Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Try List:
  • Basil Hayden’s 10 Year
  • Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch
  • Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year
  • Jefferson’s Ocean Aged at Sea
  • Old Forester 1920 Prohibition

• Old Rip Van Winkle...
  • Pappy Van Winkle...

View attachment 1927
You have a nice selection.

Before my stomach decided it could no longer handle bourbon, or other whiskey-type products, I would drink either regular Jim Beam, or Jim Beam Black. I have a brother-in-law that lives about 2 miles from the Beam distillery, and we drive by their large warehouses in Clermont each time we visit him. Oh, and have never toured the distillery. Go figure. Oh, and no cigar. Quit smoking 8 yrs ago.

Single malt guy here. Better flavor to me, instead of the muddy tones of blends. I'm a big fan of Islay malts - love the peat smoke. A single drop of cold well-water in a glass with 2 fingers of whisky, really brings out the peat. Laphroaig is my go-to; I have 12, 15, and Reserve in the cabinet. Also love me some Macallan, my hip flask has Mac30 in it if I remember correctly and I have a bottle of 12 on standby in the cabinet. I also have a partial (hehe) bottle of 12 year old Yamazaki, a Japanese sherry-cask single that won the World Whisky Competition in...I want to say '16 or '17. Outstanding stuff. IF you can find a bottle, I strongly recommend it. Not inexpensive, but it is amazing. Not harsh, great flavors, mild peat smoke, and a very smooth finish. Another one I really like is my Bunnahabhain 18 year old - gorgeous flavors, mild smoke, and a nice crisp finish.

"Utility" whisky for me is Jameson, or Knot. Knot is more liqueur than whisky in my book, but it's much less harsh and has a very nice vanilla tone to it. For the times when we're entertaining the ladies...this is a good option, to keep from turning them off whisky's altogether.

Note: "utility" to me is sitting around having drinks with friends, focusing on the friends more than the whisky. For the "good stuff"...I tend to sit alone, on my porch overlooking four states (1501' elevation), with my dogs, a whisky, and on a really good day...a nice Key West Cuban-seed cigar.

That photo above...looks like an OUTSTANDING way to chill whisky without watering it down. I may throw some of my .308 in the freezer for such an occasion!
We have a lot in common for tastes ...

Attachments

• 88359413-EF4D-4A66-B3A7-C18ECBA16087.jpeg
    88359413-EF4D-4A66-B3A7-C18ECBA16087.jpeg
    573.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 176DECD9-90EC-452E-A2E7-7A43D6C84C34.jpeg
    176DECD9-90EC-452E-A2E7-7A43D6C84C34.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 217
  • C7E4D46F-AD1A-49FC-819C-D39C1FDF8C53.jpeg
    C7E4D46F-AD1A-49FC-819C-D39C1FDF8C53.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 231
As previously stated, I gave up bourbon due to it no longer agreeing with my stomach, but I still enjoy the occasional beer.

I gave up the hanging out in bars scene quite a few years ago, because I was sick and tired of waking up sick and tired.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back