testtest

M1A Springfield 308 scope accuracy problem

I have a brand new Springfield M1A chanbered in 308, I also purchased a Springfield scope mount for the rifle.
Followed the mount install instructions to the tee and it fits great BUT I just cannot get accuracy.
I mounted a nice Leupold scope and after terrible groups, I bought a really nice Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 and mounted it on the gun.
Still don't get good groups, my shots are all over the paper. Three of us have tried shooting it and one of them is a expert that is completely stumped on this problem. We bore sighted AND used a bore laser but still crummy results.
Yes, we have tightened the two big screws many times to be sure it is solidly mounted.
I am wondering now if there a chance that the mount is just not parallel with the barrel.
Can anyone clue us in on what to try now??

I have a brand new Springfield M1A chanbered in 308, I also purchased a Springfield scope mount for the rifle.
Followed the mount install instructions to the tee and it fits great BUT I just cannot get accuracy.
I mounted a nice Leupold scope and after terrible groups, I bought a really nice Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 and mounted it on the gun.
Still don't get good groups, my shots are all over the paper. Three of us have tried shooting it and one of them is a expert that is completely stumped on this problem. We bore sighted AND used a bore laser but still crummy results.
Yes, we have tightened the two big screws many times to be sure it is solidly mounted.
I am wondering now if there a chance that the mount is just not parallel with the barrel.
What ammo?
Is the scope torqued in correctly?
Do you have another scope to try? *curious if you might need to lap the rings.
*Welcome to the forum

Last edited:
I'd think if the mount was not parallel with the barrel you'd probably get a good group, just not where you want it. This might be a silly question but did you make sure you torqued the rings together properly? Even if the mount is secure, might the scope be lose in the rings?

How many shots do you have through it? I had a similar problem with my Saint .308. It patterned like a shotgun at 100 yards at first then it tightened up significantly after I had 150 or so rounds through it. It might very well need to break in or it might need to be fed different ammunition. Mine loves 175gr Matchkings. I handload but you can get them in Federal GMM, too.

Call Springfield the M1A mount can be tricky to mount and is probably moving under recoil.

Back