testtest

CCW reciprocity and travel: Do you research it?

I need to research the PA thing...I live in MD, with a MD wear and carry permit. I'm half a mile from PA, and also have a non-resident PA permit. I'll have to see if anything has changed there...
Better hurry Peglegjoe. Less & less Pa. counties are offering out of state resident permits. A buddy from NC, was up here and asked if my county or surrounding counties would take the application & the answer was no. There was one county in central Pa. & I believe a county on the border with MD by Rt.81, so you may be in luck there. There may be others, but those two seemed the closest to me. Buddy gave up since his NC permit has reciprocity with Pa. (his Utah no longer does).

Yup. Got a couple of apps that I keep updated and check both before I travel. Actually to the point where I don’t vacation anywhere I cannot carry. Dont want to spend my money in the communist states anyway :sneaky:
As the US Constitution, 2A is our License to carry. Should be just like our pilots license, good in all 50.
Goodness, US Pilots is good most everywhere in the world.

I already HAVE my PA non-resident; got it about a year ago. Something silly like $5 - mail in a check, a filled-out form, and a copy of my resident MD permit. They called me in about a week and said "come pick 'er up!". Looked at me like I was a unicorn, since I have a MD permit...said since I had that, it was no contest, grab the "APPROVED" stamp and print the permit. That sounds like the county where I got mine. Franklin County, just west of Gettysburg, right off I81. I'm just south of the line there, in Washington County MD.

I had to get something other than MD, just for reciprocity. MD doesn't recognize anyone, so very few states recognize MD. And I live within ten minutes of four states - MD, VA, PA, WV. I needed more than just MD just for daily shopping, since most of mine is done up in PA - those stores are closer for me than any of the MD stores are, I'm so close to the state line!

I already HAVE my PA non-resident; got it about a year ago. Something silly like $5 - mail in a check, a filled-out form, and a copy of my resident MD permit. They called me in about a week and said "come pick 'er up!". Looked at me like I was a unicorn, since I have a MD permit...said since I had that, it was no contest, grab the "APPROVED" stamp and print the permit. That sounds like the county where I got mine. Franklin County, just west of Gettysburg, right off I81. I'm just south of the line there, in Washington County MD.

I had to get something other than MD, just for reciprocity. MD doesn't recognize anyone, so very few states recognize MD. And I live within ten minutes of four states - MD, VA, PA, WV. I needed more than just MD just for daily shopping, since most of mine is done up in PA - those stores are closer for me than any of the MD stores are, I'm so close to the state line!
Well, looks like you're set. Both your MD and PA, are currently recognized in VA. (unless they pass some laws preventing that) & WV is permit-less carry so your good there. And now with PA your good there. My county Monroe, and surrounding counties, use to all provide for out of state residents carry permits. When I called on behalf of my friend, they mentioned they and the surrounding counties do not offer it anymore (no real explanation as of why), and gave me the name of some of the counties close to Monroe that did. I suggested he stop on the way back to NC at the county you mentioned, as he was traveling back on RT81. He thought it would be a bother and he had his NC permit as a resident of that state which is still honored by PA..
But, it's good to hear you were able to get the PA carry, as you're so close to our state.

Well, looks like you're set. Both your MD and PA, are currently recognized in VA. (unless they pass some laws preventing that) & WV is permit-less carry so your good there. And now with PA your good there. My county Monroe, and surrounding counties, use to all provide for out of state residents carry permits. When I called on behalf of my friend, they mentioned they and the surrounding counties do not offer it anymore (no real explanation as of why), and gave me the name of some of the counties close to Monroe that did. I suggested he stop on the way back to NC at the county you mentioned, as he was traveling back on RT81. He thought it would be a bother and he had his NC permit as a resident of that state which is still honored by PA..
But, it's good to hear you were able to get the PA carry, as you're so close to our state.

These are a prime example of the BS we should NEVER be expected to endure. Shall not be infringed!

Definitely, I've only had my CPL for a little over 6 months and only 1 trip outta state of MI. Before I traveled I checked at the state website for reciprocity traveling to GA for the holidays. They had complete info so I could carry and travel knowing I was following the law.

I moved from Massachusetts a a few months ago up to NH. Mass has some pretty Draconian laws on the books like magazine limits to 10 rounds and if you are caught with a mag over 10 rounds that wasn't pre 96 its an instant felony. Also with that being said certain guns like AR's cannot be brought into the state either if they weren't manufactured prior to 96. Massachusetts does not have reciprocity with any other state and to carry there you need an out of state license and that is a lengthy process which take almost a year to get if you pass all the checks and the interview with the state police. Thankfully I moved to NH aka America!
I have a Glock 19 with original 15 round mags that is pre 9/94 so it is grandfathered. I still swap the mags out with 10 rounders when I bring it to the range. I could see an arrest being made becasue someone didnt know the law. Won't put myself in that situation. What do you think the odds would be when they found out it was legal that I would get those 15 round mags back?

I use the USCCA reciprocity map (available to everyone, not just members), that has an interactive map, along with each states current laws. They keep it pretty well up to date, as a friend from NJ discovered he couldn't carry in Pa. with his Utah carry permit. This link was updated a few days after our Pa. AG made the ruling that permit holders had to be a resident of that State, or have a State permit that had reciprocity with the State of Pa.
It's also a good idea to check other weapon laws for each State, such as knives, tasers, brass knuckles & blackjacks, etc.

Thanks BET7 👍

Even so, with me being naturally paranoid as I am from MA, I have CCW permits from NH and ME. I don't want any issues carrying accross state lines.
Agreed!

I actually got the NH pistol permit myself soon after moving here just in case something changes and also for reciprocity in other states that honor NH carry.

I have a Glock 19 with original 15 round mags that is pre 9/94 so it is grandfathered. I still swap the mags out with 10 rounders when I bring it to the range. I could see an arrest being made becasue someone didnt know the law. Won't put myself in that situation. What do you think the odds would be when they found out it was legal that I would get those 15 round mags back?
That's definitely a safe bet!
I've trained martial arts with a lot of law enforcement in MA and have had numerous discussions with them about firearms, and I found out that most of these guys are not totally educated on the state laws when it comes to firearms which could lead to you getting arrested and dragged to court for nothing. Who needs that hassle?

That's definitely a safe bet!
I've trained martial arts with a lot of law enforcement in MA and have had numerous discussions with them about firearms, and I found out that most of these guys are not totally educated on the state laws when it comes to firearms which could lead to you getting arrested and dragged to court for nothing. Who needs that hassle?
Very true. And since the law is so abscure here, you need to be a scholar just to interpret them. I think they do it on purpose. If I keep my LTC (License To Carry) as they call it here in my wallet, it's a good day!

Back