testtest

Ammo Selection:

I would recommend 168gr for longer range. Specifically, Nosler, but that is what works for me. You may find something else works better for you.

About to sight in my .308 for hog hunting. What brands/loads are suggested? I'd like to get off the shelf ammo but will be open to suggestions on special order ammo. I would like to get out to 500 and maybe 600 yards someday.
Welcome to the forum. The gun your shooting makes a big difference in what your trying to do based on ammunition. As mentioned some guns don’t like certain manufacturer’s loads while another gun “even the same model” will shoot it good. Buy one box of different loads by different manufacturers and determine what your gun likes the best then start out at 100 yards and work your way out farther.

This is is good ammo. Academy usually has it.

Attachments

• 3C54DFAA-F176-404A-9CEC-2DECD5BC8629.jpeg
    3C54DFAA-F176-404A-9CEC-2DECD5BC8629.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 155
You’re going to have to figure out what your rifle likes; what you use for hog hunting will likely be different that what you’re using for long range work.

Hunting? A 150gr or heavier soft point or hollow point that your rifle gets good accuracy at ranges you expect to hunt at should do the trick just fine.

Long range? Heavier OTM (Open Tip Match, such as Sierra Match King) will likely be your choice, if your rifle’s twist likes heavier/longer/more bearing surface bullets.

So you’re just gonna have to buy a few different loads and see what YOUR rifle likes when YOU shoot it…advice from people who aren’t shooting your rifle really isn’t a huge help.

You’re going to have to figure out what your rifle likes; what you use for hog hunting will likely be different that what you’re using for long range work.

Hunting? A 150gr or heavier soft point or hollow point that your rifle gets good accuracy at ranges you expect to hunt at should do the trick just fine.

Long range? Heavier OTM (Open Tip Match, such as Sierra Match King) will likely be your choice, if your rifle’s twist likes heavier/longer/more bearing surface bullets.

So you’re just gonna have to buy a few different loads and see what YOUR rifle likes when YOU shoot it…advice from people who aren’t shooting your rifle really isn’t a huge help.
Another thread by the OP of this thread states he has an M1A, he doesn’t go into detail on model but I will say I found out quickly with my M1A standard it loves a 150 or above grain round, when I tried a 147 Grain round it failed to cycle reliably.
As they say your results may very.

Another thread by the OP of this thread states he has an M1A, he doesn’t go into detail on model but I will say I found out quickly with my M1A standard it loves a 150 or above grain round, when I tried a 147 Grain round it failed to cycle reliably.
And my M1A loves 147gr, both domestic (Lake City, American Eagle, Winchester) and foreign (Portuguese, German, & British surplus, PPU, and Magtech), feeding-wise. The British Radway Green is, by far, the most accurate of the lot.

But that just goes to show—rifles have very individual tastes when it comes to accuracy and, particularly with semi-autos, feeding. What works in my rifle may not (in this case, will definitely not) work in yours…

Which makes crowdsourcing ammo suggestions basically useless.

And my M1A loves 147gr, both domestic (Lake City, American Eagle, Winchester) and foreign (Portuguese, German, & British surplus, PPU, and Magtech), feeding-wise. The British Radway Green is, by far, the most accurate of the lot.

But that just goes to show—rifles have very individual tastes when it comes to accuracy and, particularly with semi-autos, feeding. What works in my rifle may not (in this case, will definitely not) work in yours…

Which makes crowdsourcing ammo suggestions basically useless.
Exactly my friend exactly.

I've found that my M1A's accuracy improves with heavier bullets. I stick with 168 grain. Looking at what's for sale these days 150 grain seems to be the favorite choice among hunters and there's plenty to pick from. I've been using 165 grain Hornaday Whitetail ammo in my Saint for the last 3 years, and I'd like to try 168 grain Winchester Silver Tips if I could find any. For me the 2021 deer season is over, so I have another year to make changes. I hunt in a heavily wooded area and believe a heavier bullet does better in the brush.

Thank you, I have about 9 loads so far.

About to sight in my .308 for hog hunting. What brands/loads are suggested? I'd like to get off the shelf ammo but will be open to suggestions on special order ammo. I would like to get out to 500 and maybe 600 yards someday.
Are you an old time hog hunter or a newbie? From the way your post is worded it may appear you are relatively new to the game. If that's the case then you have received about as good info as there is since like most mentioned, every gun likes it's own flavor of ammo. The more options you can try the better your result will be.

On the other hand, once you find the best ammo, I'll say you're ever the optimist if you're shooting at pigs at 600 yards. Of course it can be done ..... and regularly for some. But don't get discouraged if once you find that 'best' ammo and on your first trip out to the pig forest you find the rifle is still not hitting them at that range. It takes some amount of practice and experience to do that regularly.

Good luck and happy hunting. One upside to hunting them at that range is that they usually don't charge you if/when you miss. ;):)(y)(y)

Are you an old time hog hunter or a newbie? From the way your post is worded it may appear you are relatively new to the game. If that's the case then you have received about as good info as there is since like most mentioned, every gun likes it's own flavor of ammo. The more options you can try the better your result will be.

On the other hand, once you find the best ammo, I'll say you're ever the optimist if you're shooting at pigs at 600 yards. Of course it can be done ..... and regularly for some. But don't get discouraged if once you find that 'best' ammo and on your first trip out to the pig forest you find the rifle is still not hitting them at that range. It takes some amount of practice and experience to do that regularly.

Good luck and happy hunting. One upside to hunting them at that range is that they usually don't charge you if/when you miss. ;):)(y)(y)
Thank you, new to this gun so I was looking at ammo Specific to the Springfield.308 M1A. I keep hearing 168 grain is good. Fairly new to pigs but not new to hunting. I smacked a coyote at 500 in September with my .223 shooting 5.56. They say this gun can reach out there better than my .223, I wanna see what she's got under the hood. It may take me until I'm retired so I can re-load but I want to stretch me and the gun to it's limits. Thank you for your input.

Welcome to the forum. The gun your shooting makes a big difference in what your trying to do based on ammunition. As mentioned some guns don’t like certain manufacturer’s loads while another gun “even the same model” will shoot it good. Buy one box of different loads by different manufacturers and determine what your gun likes the best then start out at 100 yards and work your way out farther.
Thank you, I'm at 9 different loads right now.

Also, M1A manual says NO Soft tips !

Which ruled out some of my good trusty .308 rounds I was also using in my Saint .308

Back