testtest

When Facts Don’t Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in MN for ~4 yrs and got a good feel for how MN works. A nice state in some ways, but a mix of being a northern version of CA and some Mid-Atlantic/New England states idiosyncrasies in others.

I was right on the MN/WI state line and preferred WI abit more. Met a Purple People Eater, and was in "The Cites" when the stadium roof collapsed.

The North Shore, BWCA, state fair, Governors Deer Season kickoff lunch, and ore boats were fun, but I was ready to get back out west the first chance I had.

Last edited:
Thanks, and just wondering about the education system when I read your posts. Here in our county, in Kentucky, education is still fairly traditional. Students still receive the 3 basic R's, upper-level math, plus a number of elective courses. Physical education is still a requirement in elementary, middle, and high school. Students are not permitted to freely come and go. The Pledge is said every morning, in every school, and the National Anthem is played before each home game, or the Pledge is verbally recited by the athletes and spectators. At the high school level, the Colors are paraded onto the field by the local jrotc unit for the playing of the National Anthem.

In MT (4th largest but only alittle above 1M pop) there are really only seven "cities" all of which, except for one, are under 100,000 pop.

In those "urban" areas the schools basically allow kids to wander off campus, whereas rural MT that's really not the case.

The largest school system close to me likes to let kids out to help their teachers protest when the need arises.

In MT (4th largest but only alittle above 1M pop) there are really only seven "cities" all of which, except for one, are under 100,000 pop.

In those "urban" areas the schools basically allow kids to wander off campus, whereas rural MT that's really not the case.
"...allow kids to wander off campus,"

Would hate to have to deal with that as a teacher, or school administrator.

"...allow kids to wander off campus,"

Would hate to have to deal with that as a teacher, or school administrator.

Yea I guess they don't have enough homework to do. Sort of weird to see middle-high school kids wandering around the town when they should be in school, but the teachers/school admin condones it.

IMO high school isn't college.

Yea I guess they don't have enough homework to do. Sort of weird to see middle-high school kids wandering around the town when they should be in school, but the teachers/school admin condones it.

IMO high school isn't college.
I bet.

When I was in high school (graduated in '71) we used to be able to have a smoke break between classes, as long as we weren't late getting to the next class. We had to go across the road, basically off school property. That was happening well before I got there, and went on for quite awhile after I graduated, as my sister is 11 yrs younger than me, and they were still getting smoke breaks for most of her high school career I recall.

It's from all of their years of experience and life skills. Plus they also know more than you do. Unfortunately. I know more than a few of them. Can't even hold a conversation with them because they are so narrow minded. But they think they are still right and everyone will agree with them.

When I first started working at a local high school, I mentioned to the principal one day how misbehaved some of the kids were, the ones that were always in trouble. He made a statement (paraphrased) that stuck with me to this day:
"You wonder why a kid acts the way he does.........and then you meet the parents."
This is so true. Being at multiple martial arts tournaments, the kids usually arent the problem there, it's the parents. I once had a parent so upset that their child didn't get the score he thought he deserved, he was going to alter the score card. I tried explaining to him that your child had the courage to go up in front of 500 people and he did something, he is a winner. That is difficult for most adults to do let alone a child. Nope he wasnt having it. I explained to him that if he altered the score card, I would have to disqualify his son and that would be a shame. Next he was going to kick my butt. I mentioned that was a very arrogant thing to say considering the company you are in. (as I am now flanked by 5 other black belts on each side of me because they are witnessing this) I told him he would have to leave if this is what he thought he was going to pursue. Luckily, he backed off. I was dumbfounded. The poor kid doesn't stand a chance with a parent like that. I see this all the time.

Well I'm sure some of the "Greatest Generation" felt the same way about us. Only history will tell in the long run, what generation had it right and which had it wrong. But that's just my opinion, you have yours and that's fine and appreciated, let's hope that the problems that are being caused can be corrected.

The folks controlling the country now came of age in the 60's.

See my new post.

i'm really
The folks controlling the country now came of age in the 60's.

See my new post.
I'm really hoping both sides can take a deep breath and sort out that partisan divide. Maybe talk to each other a little without MSNBC and Fox News tainting the conversation with B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back