testtest

First Look! New Springfield Ronin

Just bought one. Three issues.
1) The wood grips are WAY too thin, why didn’t I notice this at the store?? Adrenaline?? IDK.
2) There is a shiny pencil point sized scratch on the top. Is there any type of paint to make it go bye-bye? It’s bugging the hell out of me. Shiny bright tiny silver dot right in front of the rear sight. Yeah, I know, OCD, or something. A black Sharpie is really dark blue, doesn’t match. Need some kind of paint. Wish it was all silver colored. But damn does it shoot good!!
3) The trigger has a very slight bit of creep before the wall. New trigger? Needs to be broken in? No trigger adj. screw on it as my Kimber has. Bought it at Cabela’s, you cannot try the trigger before buying, non-removable trigger lock, until you leave the store 😡😔.

I‘ve gotten two different responses to this question: Do I just start shooing it out of the box? Already have shot one mag. Or, clean and oil the slide rails before shooting it? Is it better to let the metal polish each other? Or, lube them? With oil or grease? And was it supposed to come with a tool to disassemble the mainspring catch? Is it missing?? Only other issue is the mag release button. It is HEAVY! Seriously! Even with no mag in it. Must use a 20 pound spring in it! Not joking! But it is so good looking! And accurate!!

Than you all!! Brand new here, first Springfield 1911. X-mas gift to myself. 😊
i have a Ronin, grips are great to me, but i do have small hands. i cannot comment on this so-called scratch on the top, you did not provide any pictures.

i do not notice any such trigger creep, but i am not a perfectionist, either.

you can try, Birchwood Casey gun blue, and dab a tiny bit with a q-tip?

can be found at walmart cheaper..

i ALWAYS take the guns home, field strip, clean and lube with oil. either good ole Hoppe's 9, or Weapon Shield

i do not use grease, in fact, on my Kimber in the instruction manual, it does say to NOT use any grease.

then shoot the snot out of it.

since you dd not inspect the gun more carefully BEFORE you bought it, i'd say your stuck with any scratches on it.

Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas. A lot of opinions on shoot before or after cleaning and lubing a new gun, most would say definitely clean and lube, this is something I do.
Oil or grease? For the longest time I just oiled after cleaning, now I oil the internal parts and put synthetic red Mobile one grease on the slide rails.
Mag release, put some oil from the outside and let it migrate into the mechanism and work the release button to loosen it up, you can also put some grease on the mechanism on the inside using a toothpick or cleaning swab with the cotton tip removed, it will loosen up.
If you think your missing something contact, call them don’t email Springfield customer service and they will take care of you.
(800) 680-6866
Enjoy your new gun.
only from what some "experts" i have read said, by using grease, we increase the chances of grit getting trapped in the grease, and working as sand paper...

i do have a small jar of gun grease, but rarely if ever use it. kinda wasted my money buying it.

i have a Ronin, grips are great to me, but i do have small hands. i cannot comment on this so-called scratch on the top, you did not provide any pictures.

i do not notice any such trigger creep, but i am not a perfectionist, either.

you can try, Birchwood Casey gun blue, and dab a tiny bit with a q-tip?

can be found at walmart cheaper..

i ALWAYS take the guns home, field strip, clean and lube with oil. either good ole Hoppe's 9, or Weapon Shield

i do not use grease, in fact, on my Kimber in the instruction manual, it does say to NOT use any grease.

then shoot the snot out of it.

since you dd not inspect the gun more carefully BEFORE you bought it, i'd say your stuck with any scratches on it.

only from what some "experts" i have read said, by using grease, we increase the chances of grit getting trapped in the grease, and working as sand paper...

i do have a small jar of gun grease, but rarely if ever use it. kinda wasted my money buying it.
For the amount I shoot my guns and clean them right after I’ve seen no issues, keep in mind I don’t use gobs of grease but a very thin film.
To each his own.

Thank you all!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! As to the scratch, didn’t see it in the store, I inspected it carefully, but just didn’t catch it as it was right in front of rear sight, and the size of a pencil lead for a mechanical pencil. I was concentrating on the slide sides, rear, and barrel crown condition (I remembered how some 2020 Colt Pythons had MESSED UP barrel crowns from the factory!!) and just missed it. THAN YOU on “Super Blue” heads-up! Never heard of it! Thank you “Old Me!!“ 😃😃
Did any of you get snow today? A “white Christmas“? It’s FREEZING COLD HERE!!! But no snow.
I just thought since it is a SS frame on carbon steel slide, it might be different than Kimber, with it’s aluminum frame, and steel slide. I’ve never used gun grease, just wondered about it. If anyone used it. I don’t have any. And the differing opinions on: just go shoot it, or, disassemble and clean, re-lube, then shoot it.
Was it supposed to come with a wrench to release the front mainspring? Didn’t get one here.
Is this considered a “70” series 1911? Or an ”80” series??
I found the PERFECT Wilson Combat wood grips! Super happy! I have big hands I guess. The thin grips just way too thin, EASY fix!!

Thank you ALL!!! VERY Nice to be here!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Thank you all!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! As to the scratch, didn’t see it in the store, I inspected it carefully, but just didn’t catch it as it was right in front of rear sight, and the size of a pencil lead for a mechanical pencil. I was concentrating on the slide sides, rear, and barrel crown condition (I remembered how some 2020 Colt Pythons had MESSED UP barrel crowns from the factory!!) and just missed it. THAN YOU on “Super Blue” heads-up! Never heard of it! Thank you “Old Me!!“ 😃😃
Did any of you get snow today? A “white Christmas“? It’s FREEZING COLD HERE!!! But no snow.
I just thought since it is a SS frame on carbon steel slide, it might be different than Kimber, with it’s aluminum frame, and steel slide. I’ve never used gun grease, just wondered about it. If anyone used it. I don’t have any. And the differing opinions on: just go shoot it, or, disassemble and clean, re-lube, then shoot it.
Was it supposed to come with a wrench to release the front mainspring? Didn’t get one here.
Is this considered a “70” series 1911? Or an ”80” series??
I found the PERFECT Wilson Combat wood grips! Super happy! I have big hands I guess. The thin grips just way too thin, EASY fix!!

Thank you ALL!!! VERY Nice to be here!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
you mean you did not get one of these..??

i cannot recall if i got one either, as most other times, other 1911's that i have bought have them, and i must have a gazillion of them...

I too take mine home, fieldstrip, inspect, lube then go for the gold. I'm a Hoppes fan also, but (don't want to sound ignert) but how is it pronounced?

Hoppes like the bunny hopps or
Hoppes like I hopes you have a great day?
pronounced...Hop-EE's......

or maybe.....Hops....???

or maybe.......Lube oil..?????

you mean you did not get one of these..??

i cannot recall if i got one either, as most other times, other 1911's that i have bought have them, and i must have a gazillion of them...
No, what I meant was I was expecting it to be in the box, like a Colt 1911, or a Ruger 1911 for that matter. ???

No, what I meant was I was expecting it to be in the box, like a Colt 1911, or a Ruger 1911 for that matter. ???
i know what you meant, i even explained it to you, that not all 1911's come with that bushing tool. as i also said, i cannot recall mine coming with one.

if you need one, you'll have to buy one.

I don’t know old me I would think you need that tool it come off with a twist at least I never had a problem with it
some of my 1911's, the barrel bushing is tough to to turn with my fingers, and i do need the bushing tool. the others simply twist off.

i think it's a matter of time for the barrel bushing to become "broke in". i also put a drop of oil in the barrel bushing slot, inside the barrel.

Some say a “70” version 1911 shoots better than an ”80” series 1911 with the extra firing pin safety pieces. But no idea which the full size 5” 45 acp. RONIN is??

Thanks all!!!

THANK YOU ALL!! Pretty chincy for Springfield leaving out the PLASTIC mainspring wrench, (I honestly thought it was just missing), and EVERY Kimber owner I know, thinks Kimber is SO cheap by supplying only ONE mag like Springfield (except their poly guns) but Kimber does include a plastic mainspring wrench, as does: Dan Wesson, Kimber, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Remington, and Colt. And I’m sure others. Maybe: Taurus, Rock Hill?? I‘m not 100% sure about them. But I’d say the RONIN‘s closest matches would be, price wise: Kimber and Ruger, maybe Colt, and Remington 1911’s as well. And Kimber, and Colt(?) gives you a plastic lockable box. Would like that!!
I’m also wondering how much it might cost to get the front strap checkered by a local gunsmith? or, send to Springfield to have them do it?? Springfield doing it cheaper or more expensive option?? IDK. Thanks all, as always!! 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃 And THANK YOU ALL for the POSITIVE feedback!!! SO KIND of ALL OF YOU!!!!😀😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

THANK YOU ALL!! Pretty chincy for Springfield leaving out the PLASTIC mainspring wrench, (I honestly thought it was just missing), and EVERY Kimber owner I know, thinks Kimber is SO cheap by supplying only ONE mag like Springfield (except their poly guns) but Kimber does include a plastic mainspring wrench, as does: Dan Wesson, Kimber, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Remington, and Colt. And I’m sure others. Maybe: Taurus, Rock Hill?? I‘m not 100% sure about them. But I’d say the RONIN‘s closest matches would be, price wise: Kimber and Ruger, maybe Colt, and Remington 1911’s as well. And Kimber, and Colt(?) gives you a plastic lockable box. Would like that!!
I’m also wondering how much it might cost to get the front strap checkered by a local gunsmith? or, send to Springfield to have them do it?? Springfield doing it cheaper or more expensive option?? IDK. Thanks all, as always!! 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃 And THANK YOU ALL for the POSITIVE feedback!!! SO KIND of ALL OF YOU!!!!😀😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃
So in all honesty I had to look up what was a main spring wrench and I’m going to say I think your being a little harsh on Springfield for not including a tool that is used for dismantling a part of a gun that doesn’t need to be taken apart for normal cleaning.

I thought it was SOP to take apart and clean after every range visit? I am blessed to have all you guys to teach me everything I don’t know. Thank you!!😀

Back