testtest

First Look: Springfield Armory’s 5.56mm Hellion Bullpup

Last edited:
Not really. A 16” barrel gives you pretty much full ballistic advantage of the 5.56 round—where 16” doesn’t gain you much in a .300 (a round optimized to be fired out of a 8.5” barrel).
I beg to differ, there are several variables you're not considering with your statement. Besides barrel length, the ammunition type, and distance to gas porting all of which plays a part in optimization. The subsonic 300 BO ammunition I use is optimized for a 16" barrel, not the 9" barrel I have on my AR. A bullpup like this would allow me utilize the ammunition as intended while suppressed in the same length of gun as my AR. Besides a supersonic 300 BO would be better for CQB than a 3200 fps 556 which is a little overkill for short range.

A shorter than 16in barrel in the Hellion configuration would classify this as an NDA item and you will need a tax stamp approval for the SBR.

Also with a 16in barrel on a .300blk you will get much better ballistics than you would with a shorter barrel. The .300blk is optimized for use in a shorter configuration but this optimization doesn't equate to full ballistic potential of the round with an average FPS loss of around 35fps per inch shorter the barrel.

The optimized part of .300blk in a 9in barrel is mostly for subsonic loads as the velocity gain with a longer barrel may bring the round above subsonic speed especially when equipped with a suppressor from the added back pressure.
My Sellier & Bellot 300 BO subsonic ammunition is optimized for a 16" barrel, muzzle velocity is 1080 fps. I don't know why people keep saying 300 BO is only good for a SBR, even the supersonic ammunition makes it good for CQB.

My Sellier & Bellot 300 BO subsonic ammunition is optimized for a 16" barrel, muzzle velocity is 1080 fps. I don't know why people keep saying 300 BO is only good for a SBR, even the supersonic ammunition makes it good for CQB.
I'm not saying it's only good for an SBR. My intent was to say that some subsonic loadings can achieve supersonic speeds when used in a longer barrel length while suppressed from the added back pressure of the suppressor and longer barrel.

I shoot .300blk through pistol length and rifle length barrels suppressed.

I agree that a .300blk option for the Hellion would be a desirable and that it has a higher potential to inflict damage in a CQB environment than 5.56.

Here is a barrel length comparison for CQB:

21” FAL
16” Saint Victor
(collapsed & non collapsed stock)
16” Steyr AUG

31D3FD9F-CF14-4418-B6CC-63A02D18ECD6.jpeg
C172854E-F152-45DD-882D-8C2C825049A5.jpeg

Since .300 AAC is designed to be used off an AR15 frame and you can in some firearms switch out the barrels (as I understand), would you be able to just throw a 16” .300AAC barrel in this? Probably a stupid question but I don’t know. Maybe I’m wrong about converting a 5.56 to .300AAC but I thought I read some manufacturer advising that you could do that as long as you got .300AAC mags, which are to fit an AR.

Since .300 AAC is designed to be used off an AR15 frame and you can in some firearms switch out the barrels (as I understand), would you be able to just throw a 16” .300AAC barrel in this? Probably a stupid question but I don’t know. Maybe I’m wrong about converting a 5.56 to .300AAC but I thought I read some manufacturer advising that you could do that as long as you got .300AAC mags, which are to fit an AR.
The Hellion doesn't have an AR barrel, but yes I believe that it would be easy for SA to include a 300 BO option because most likely all it needs is a 300 BO barrel and gas tuning, the SA webpage shows the Hellion Series so I'm sure more options to follow in the future.

Back