testtest

Hex Wasp - Anyone’s randomly stop working?

If this continues, anyone want to take bets on their next move. Here is my prophecy…. They won’t issue a recall, but you will get “ dear valued customer, we apologize for the issues you have experience with your hex wasp optic. We have been unable to rectify the issue with the manufacturer. As a result we will issue you a credit of $xxx on your NEXT purchase with SA. This credit will be applied in our store blah blah” At some point they will find that the constant replacement in man hours and postage will outweigh the margins they make on the $50 price target they are paying to hex… so the credit will allow them to still make margin and placate the customer even though it won’t. Most customers will just throw it in the trash and give up and they will bank on that
Sounds like a probable scenario to me.Ive been down this road with merchandise many times before.Problem is,it seems soon the only way to do business will be on-line.My message from Springfield rep Dominic just said "It's been fixed" no elaboration.Sooooooo , having delt with things like this all my life. I did what I felt was right for me.Saving myself months (years?) of frustration. I sent the hex wasp off into the great unknown of the sonoran desert.Via louisville slugger. One day,maybe a thousand years from now it will be found by an archeologist and placed in a museum. It still won't work.

Well, my third Wasp is now working past 30 days!!!
They shipped it out on 3-12-22. It probably took 2 days to get here. I didn't note the date, but upon receiving it I immediately put the battery in and set it on my dresser. My room see all varieties of light levels day to day. I have observed the intensity change as the light levels change.
So now at almost a month and a half, it is still working. I will wait and see what happens in the next 2-4 weeks. It just might be that they finally have a "fix!"
That, or I finally received a "good" one.

They shipped it out on 3-12-22. It probably took 2 days to get here. I didn't note the date, but upon receiving it I immediately put the battery in and set it on my dresser. My room see all varieties of light levels day to day. I have observed the intensity change as the light levels change.
So now at almost a month and a half, it is still working. I will wait and see what happens in the next 2-4 weeks. It just might be that they finally have a "fix!"
Good to hear!! Keep your fingers & toes crossed!

Thanks for the input and info! (y) I'm waiting to hear back from someone at SA...

Good to hear
I got my 2nd one on 3/28 and so far so good
it surpassed my original unit that didn’t make it 21 days on either battery

Well, just a point of info ........ back on the 26th of Dec IIRC, due to this very thread I installed the battery into my Wasp that I had received a few months earlier. A couple times since then I've checked it and posted that it was still working. Today I checked again and it's still going strong on the same battery so I have to believe I got one of the good ones early on. I am pretty much convinced it's going to be OK relative to the battery, but I still have some concern about that little square hole open into the circuitry. Maybe nothing, but it does concern me. Anybody else?

First...interesting....the latest replacement I just received is adjusting to the light conditions. The previous ones did not as far as I was able to determine. This one is obvious. Hopefully, that is a good sign that something is diferent.

I have a new problem. In taking off the plate to install the wasp (using the tool supplied with wasp) one of the plate screws head stripped. It was tight but should not have been over tightened as I had the plate off previously and the other screw was as expected. I only hand tighten with care when installing parts on guns.
The screw material had to be junk in order to strip like that with the little tool using only moderate hand pressure.

Now...I do not know of a method of getting that little screw out with a stripped head.

I cringe at the thought of shipping the slide back to Springfield and waiting a month or more to get it back.

Advice?
Mine did the same but it was the on the first time I removed it. The first bolt was tight but broke loose and was removed. I thought "oh hell they got these tight". So the second bolt I paid even more attention but it didn't help, it wouldn't budge. Eventually the little torx head started to strip out, thought "well sht". Very frustrated by then I set everything aside for the night before is started kicking my dog.

Gritting my teeth thinking about having to send my slide back to SA so the next day I visited my local Ace hardware store and purchase a 5 piece Irwin Spiral Flute Extractor Set, got one of my drill bits just about the size of one of the spiral extractor bits tip, added one drop of 3-in-1 oil (because I didn't have any cutting oil) in the bolt head and drill it out just a hair (don't go to deep or you will separate the head from the shank and then you will be up sht creek). Tapped the spiral bit in (about two taps) with a mini ball pen hammer and carefully backed it out with small 8" Crescent (adjustable) wrench. WHEW!!!

Here’s what the description on the Hex website actually says:

2 YEAR RUNTIME​

The Wasp will run over 65,000 hours on its lowest power setting. In real life use, in varying light conditions, users can expect approximately 2 years of battery life.”

I ordered mine on 2/23/21, the day after they came out. Got it a few days after that. It’s been running ever since then. I’m going to let it run until it turns off. We’ll see how long they last when they actually work. For me, so far, its coming up on 15 months.

My bad, I need to go back to school, sorry guys, forgot to do the day part, my apologies
It’s all relative, as mentioned it will last many years if left in the dark but who will do that? There is also the degradation of the battery itself as they do have a half life meaning the power of any battery will be stronger when newer and lose power faster as it ages.
One member noted that no matter what he would replace the battery yearly which would ensure the unit would be available when needed.

Let’s look at smoke detectors, a 9 volt battery in a common smoke detector will last 2-3 years but why would you put your life In danger for a battery that costs a few dollars?

New hellcat rdp owner here (2 months of ownership), just ran through 2 batteries in just under 2 months. Hex wasp kept in the dark or concealed mostly, battery dead in 25 days each time. My wasp doesnt have the flicker issue.

I would like to speak about where the diode/wires are exposed, how can this be ipx7 with a hole exposing the internals?

I called customer support to get a replacement, it seems they have taught support to speak like lawyers. When i asked about how this is ipx7 with that hole and was told that no one has had failure due to water intrusion (like were all dunking our guns in a bucket of water for 30 minutes) mainly because the battery wont last long enough to find out. I also asked if they would swap for smsc and was told they aren't in stock (i was viewing in stock on their page..), when i explained that i see them in stock the rep would not respond.

Anyways about that hole where the wires are exposed.

Can't get a good look at mine, at least while it's mounted on my gun, but I do see a square hole. This is where the LED is located. I don't see any exposed wires. I kind of figure there has to be somewhere that the LED can project, so I don't see an issue on mine. I do have another RDS on another pistol. Not a Hex, but I can also see a square hole where the LED is projected from. No visible wires or boards on either...

Back