testtest

Time for a Good Argument. Ready?

When I attended the Springfield Armory 1911 armorer course at IALEFFI 2 years ago the instructors told us to not dry fire a 1911. Not sure what the mechanism of harm is or how much harm is done, but that was the official word.
I'm thinking I'll go with that advice. When I bought the gun it had a bad seer and the hammer was following... right out of the box. SA covered it under warranty all the way of course, but I get a bit leery to do something that may or may not cause an issue. I know this: only run cartridges through the thing and I'll never have THAT issue, lol!

when i was younger, i did not understand that humor. in years to come, i loved the Brits and thier type of humor.
When I first lived in England in the late 70's I was at a pub and one of the locals asked me what i liked about England. In the list was "We both speak English" which he took umbrage to. after a bit of back and forth I asked him point blank that if I do not speak English what do I speak? He answered with "you speak American". Umm, err, umm, yeah, guilty as charged...

1651197719189.png

So back to the question about dry firing. I am 65 and my father taught me to never ever dry fire a gun. Several reasons but the most important is gun safety. If you never do it you will never accidentally do one of two things. The first being break something like a firing pin. S&Ws have the pin on the hammer and could suffer damage and you wont know it till it wont fire . I understand metallurgy is much better now than it was but better to be safe and smart than oops ship ! And the second is you wont accidentally fire the gun unintentionally thinking its ok to pull the trigger. And yes there are the real safety rules but what Im trying to say is one evening at the range while waiting on a lane I watched a father allowing his young son to click away on a revolver for over 15 minutes. My concern is that at some point that young man may pick up same gun loaded and have a discharge cause he thought it was ok to pull the trigger. So I never have and never will dry fire. Just not going to do it.

So back to the question about dry firing. I am 65 and my father taught me to never ever dry fire a gun. Several reasons but the most important is gun safety. If you never do it you will never accidentally do one of two things. The first being break something like a firing pin. S&Ws have the pin on the hammer and could suffer damage and you wont know it till it wont fire . I understand metallurgy is much better now than it was but better to be safe and smart than oops ship ! And the second is you wont accidentally fire the gun unintentionally thinking its ok to pull the trigger. And yes there are the real safety rules but what Im trying to say is one evening at the range while waiting on a lane I watched a father allowing his young son to click away on a revolver for over 15 minutes. My concern is that at some point that young man may pick up same gun loaded and have a discharge cause he thought it was ok to pull the trigger. So I never have and never will dry fire. Just not going to do it.
even though so many have said that dry firing will not harm "certain" guns, or that nothing bad WILL EVER happen.

i was taught the first lesson i had about gun safety, a mere 3 years ago, NOT to dry fire, with out snap caps.

so that's the "habit" i got into like cleaning and lubing after every range visit, and i'm sticking to it.

I have been on our states American Legion Boys State program for over 18 years and when talking to the delegates I ask them what the common denominator is when people get in trouble from athletes ,movie stars and college students. Its alcohol . Dont get drunk and stupid and it goes a long ways to keep you out of trouble. Dont abuse or misuse you firearm and that will go a long way towards preventing some thing bad from happening.

Back