testtest

Time for a Good Argument. Ready?

Brother, it's patently absurd to think that a Wilson isn't better built than a GI 1911 or most other mid or low end 1911s. And Slamming the slide and dry firing really isn't good for any of them.
Again, not my opinion but you are free to continue this quest to prove your point, whatever that might be. I stand by my earlier statement though. "better" is subjective. If your goal in life is to baby a 2lb trigger then I am sure you'll be happy with a custom Wilson. If your goal is a robust action that can handle the abuse then maybe a mid range is a "better" option.

"Can" and "should" are two very different things. Can you? Yeah absolutely, if the gun is functioning properly it will dry fire.

Should you? No is the consensus (as was mentioned).

The rounds act as a buffer to help slow the massive slide when chambering.

On a different note, does anyone remember penny drills?
no on the penny drills.....i'm still new after 2.5 years now

yes, here we have a person @Wannabewoodsman, who is studying to be a gunsmith, and has a job lined up at Les Baer, informing us that dropping a slide is NOIT a good idea...

but "some people", as in the below quote, will always know better, and debate the "experts"
Again, not my opinion but you are free to continue this quest to prove your point, whatever that might be. I stand by my earlier statement though. "better" is subjective. If your goal in life is to baby a 2lb trigger then I am sure you'll be happy with a custom Wilson. If your goal is a robust action that can handle the abuse then maybe a mid range is a "better" option.

no on the penny drills.....i'm still new after 2.5 years now

yes, here we have a person @Wannabewoodsman, who is studying to be a gunsmith, and has a job lined up at Les Baer, informing us that dropping a slide is NOIT a good idea...

but "some people", as in the below quote, will always know better, and debate the "experts"
Explain this. Please explain how I "debate the experts". I debated nothing. I posted the video for you to see what they said from the "Expert's" mouths. I guess, there will always be "some people" who will continue read what they want to read instead of what's posted.

He used the word “fragile”?
I used the word fragile to sum it up. If your firearm can't make it through a gun show without suffering from hammer follow, its fragile, end of story. Again, I didn't say that, they did. Its not my opinion, it was their own testimony in the video.

With that I am going to bow out of this conversation because its done nothing but get people defensive. I have dropped the slide on every firearm I have ever owned and it has never broken anything. Its never caused them to malfunction.

I used the word fragile to sum it up. If your firearm can't make it through a gun show without suffering from hammer follow, its fragile, end of story. Again, I didn't say that, they did. Its not my opinion, it was their own testimony in the video.

With that I am going to bow out of this conversation because its done nothing but get people defensive. I have dropped the slide on every firearm I have ever owned and it has never broken anything. Its never caused them to malfunction.
So you are putting words in Bill Wilson’s mouth…got it.

Thanks for letting us know exactly what your opinion is worth, based on your knowledge expressed in this thread.

Great video. However a couple things I noticed and not necessarily agree or disagree with.
My 1911 Emissary needs a sharp push to seat the magazine, I’m not saying I slam it in.
In an emergency situation,
“in a gun fight” I’m not giving a rats butt about that dropped empty mag, if it’s damaged I’ll replace it.
If I remember correctly, he was referring to dropping a partially loaded mag, at least that's what I got by his description.

If I remember correctly, he was referring to dropping a partially loaded mag, at least that's what I got by his description.
Your correct which I don’t do during my training sessions. And I’ll repeat myself in a gun fight who cares???
I also watched the video intently and although I didn’t hear the word “fragile” I could have missed it, all that being said every forum member has there opinions.

Me: "As for Mr. Wilson, I’ve seen his video on dropping the slide. In fact, I’ve shared it before. I have no doubt his guns are probably fragile enough that, as he put it, “have hammer follow by the end of a show” from people dropping the slide. Personally, I’d rather not own a gun that fragile."

What was actually said:

Ken: "At the NRA show, I watched people drop those things over and over and over... and you know what? By the end of the first day we had guns where the hammers were following."

Bill: "The slide had been dropped on an empty chamber so many time that it actually damaged the..."

Nowhere did I say the word "Fragile" was used. But I was mistaken, Ken said it, Bill just agreed. I recalled it from memory so I transposed some of the words. But since there is this fixation on the actually verbiage, I felt it necessary to transcribe the actual words. I hope it makes everyone feel better. Doesn't change anything.

Ok. Wilson 1911’s are not fragile, if you get one with a match trigger of one that has been tuned, dropping the slide on an empty chamber may mess up the hammer/sear engagement resulting in a possible hammer drop when this is done, I should have just kept my big mouth shut and not posted this on this thread, your going to get yes it’s ok or no it’s not ok, check in your owners manual or contact the manufacturer

Ok. Wilson 1911’s are not fragile, if you get one with a match trigger of one that has been tuned, dropping the slide on an empty chamber may mess up the hammer/sear engagement resulting in a possible hammer drop when this is done, I should have just kept my big mouth shut and not posted this on this thread, your going to get yes it’s ok or no it’s not ok, check in your owners manual or contact the manufacturer
I don't think most people who spend $3000+ on a gun are going to treat it the same as they would a field gun. I am sure there are exceptions.

Back