testtest

Ayoob: Is There a 9mm 1911 Problem?

Seriously considering one. Just got into 9mm and have long been a 1911 fan. Still not 100 percent taken with a non hammer pistol, the p365xl which I am leaning towards keeping, the EMP looks like it might be about perfect for me.

Not overly concerned about capacity that much personally.

Good article Mike, thanks. Just makes me want to find one to go with my RO Operator…..lol
I’ve had my EMP4 for almost 2 years. It’s my favorite gun!! I have many and I call her Goldilocks because she’s just right!! Right size (I don’t like a micro), right weight, right kick. I have Sigs, Glocks & my XDM Elite OSP - all hold more rounds. But I love shooting the EMP4 better than any of them. Anytime someone else shoots it, they want one. 😂

Fit and finish look high. If you like an updated gun designed in 1911 go for it. I've got rid of all my 1911's. Too archaic for me. Too heavy for me. Plus, don't like carrying cocked and locked. I like striker fired.

I carry 2 Hellcats. +/- 30 rounds of 9mm. I'm good with that. This gun is more for the lever action crowd or the precision rifle crowd or the I hate plastic crowd.

Very nice article!
I've had my REMP3 for almost a month now and I've shot just over 900 hundreds through it. It is now proving itself to be very reliable and accurate, and easy to shoot.
I was initially cleaning it every 100 rounds or so, but now about every 200-250. Definitely keeping it well lubed, and it is much smoother and less gritty than when I first shot it.
I've also been using some pretty clean-burning ammo like Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, and Norma -at least for the time-being.
My two instructors both enjoy shooting the gun and are highly impressed with it. The one instructor who has large hands like I do said he liked shooting the gun with the Hogue grips that I installed and previously posted photos of.
I plan to post a range report of some sort in the near future.

Fit and finish look high. If you like an updated gun designed in 1911 go for it. I've got rid of all my 1911's. Too archaic for me. Too heavy for me. Plus, don't like carrying cocked and locked. I like striker fired.

I carry 2 Hellcats. +/- 30 rounds of 9mm. I'm good with that. This gun is more for the lever action crowd or the precision rifle crowd or the I hate plastic crowd.
Sounds like a member of the paranoid everyone's out to get me crowd.

Be careful of putting others in neat little classifications, the same can be done to you.

Precision hits…yeah, I’ll be in that crowd.

Better than “I need 30 or so rounds because I can’t hit squat” crowd.

I guess I’m in the don’t like plastic crowd. I’ve carried my EMP4 for a couple years now. It has a manual and grip safety so cocked and locked doesn’t matter to me. I love the size, weight and grip. I have lots of pistols including a Sig P365XL w optic but prefer my EMP overall. Just wish it could carry more rounds…

Precision hits…yeah, I’ll be in that crowd.

Better than “I need 30 or so rounds because I can’t hit squat” crowd.
I prefer the other 9mm’s for my drills and practice as they carry more rounds.

My 1911 with 7 rounds doesnt bother me. As I have stated many times, its my hog pistol.

I can see where folks dont like the limited capacity for SD, but most sub compact 9mm have few round.

I agree. Accuracy takes precedence over volume.

Just think of all the snipers. Able to pin down tons of people as no one else wants to stick their neck out

I enjoyed the article.
My introduction to the EMP was by happenstance. I knew about them but had not shot or even held one.
That changed, on a lark,
I often swing by my Friend LGS weekly and saw two on consignment.
One was all black the other the two-tone, both offered at reasonable asking prices.
My friend told me the PO/consigner brought in several guns, including a 45acp 1911 Springfield officer model
high polished and faux ivory scales.
I chose all black anodized, to examine. It came with 6 magazines, so I made and offer,.. accepted and it was mine.
With born date of 6 /2020, it was as new in box.
Mine had had combat XS Sight Big Dot Sights installed. These took some getting used too.
My Friend (FFL) bought the two-tone for himself.
This is my open carry woods gun, I still carry my SIG 365 pocket carry conceded
EMP.jpg
EMP1.jpg

20211009_180052 (2).jpg

Seriously considering one. Just got into 9mm and have long been a 1911 fan. Still not 100 percent taken with a non hammer pistol, the p365xl which I am leaning towards keeping, the EMP looks like it might be about perfect for me.

Not overly concerned about capacity that much personally.
I've been carrying my EMP4 for a couple of years now. I LOVE IT! I also have Sig 365XL with optic. I like the EMP much better. I'm not a fan of the micro compact. I like a bigger gun. The EMP is just the right size, weight and the grip is great. I also have the XDM Elite OSP with a Delta Pro but I really like shooting the EMP better. I'm also an instructor and anytime I let someone shoot it - they want one!

I've been carrying my EMP4 for a couple of years now. I LOVE IT! I also have Sig 365XL with optic. I like the EMP much better. I'm not a fan of the micro compact. I like a bigger gun. The EMP is just the right size, weight and the grip is great. I also have the XDM Elite OSP with a Delta Pro but I really like shooting the EMP better. I'm also an instructor and anytime I let someone shoot it - they want one!
I like the P365Xl, but am finding my old preferences very hard to get past. I just know the EMP would be a perfect fit. One of these days my arthritis will force me away from thumb safeties and hammers but not today...

I enjoyed the article on the EMP!!! I grew up shooting WW2 Era 1911a1's, I carried the 1911a1 in the Navy and in the Army until I was forced to turn in my beloved 1911a1 for a Beretta 92F (Boat Anchor), I wasn't a fan of the Beretta at all, sure I qualified expert many times with it but hated the trigger pull and the overall large size of the pistol. I own several 1911's, XD's and CZ75's and Glocks in 9 mm, 40 S&W and 45 acp. But I'm more comfortable with the 1911 platform either in 45 acp or 9 mm. I picked up a Springfield Loaded Target SS model in 9 mm a couple of years ago which I very much like. While at my local gun shop last year, they brought out a used Springfield EMP Compact 3" barrel, ambi safety, 3 dot night sights, I picked up and it fit my hand well, I inspected the Emp and it appeared not to have been fired much, so I grab a box of 9 mm ammo a headed into the indoor range. I placed a target at the 7 yard line and conducted some dot drills. I was very impressed with the accuracy of this 3 inch barrel 9 mm EMP!!! I ran the target out the 10 yard line and 15 yard line and fired some Speer Golddot 124 gr HP and some NATO 115 and 124 gr 9 mm through it with no problems, accuracy was still great!!! I immediately purchased the EMP and still carry it today as part of my EDC rotation. I carry it with the 9 round mag in the pistol backed up with two spare 10 round mags for the 4" EMP. I'm also considering the 4" EMP model. I haven't retired any of my full sized 1911's 45 acp models either in 4 or 5 inch barrel lengths. I find that the EMP shoots well and carries extremely well in my Milt Sparks IWB holsters, as well as my full size 1911's. The 3" barrel EMP is an excellent summer weather carry pistol!!!

Last edited:
I enjoyed the article on the EMP!!! I grew up shooting WW2 Era 1911a1's, I carried the 1911a1 in the Navy and in the Army until I was forced to turn in my beloved 1911a1 for a Beretta 92F (Boat Anchor), I wasn't a fan of the Beretta at all, sure I qualified expert many times with it but hated the trigger pull and the overall large size of the pistol. I own several 1911's, XD's and CZ75's and Glocks in 9 mm, 40 S&W and 45 acp. But I'm more comfortable with the 1911 platform either in 45 acp or 9 mm. I picked up a Springfield Loaded Target SS model in 9 mm a couple of years ago which I very much like. While at my local gun shop last year, they brought out a used Springfield EMP Compact 3" barrel, ambi safety, 3 dot night sights, I picked up and it fit my hand well, I inspected the Emp and it appeared not to have been fired much, so I grab a box of 9 mm ammo a headed into the indoor range. I placed a target at the 7 yard line and conducted some dot drills. I was very impressed with the accuracy of this 3 inch barrel 9 mm EMP!!! I ran the target out the 10 yard line and 15 yard line and fired some Speer Golddot 124 gr HP and some NATO 115 and 124 gr 9 mm through it with no problems, accuracy was still great!!! I immediately purchased the EMP and still carry it today as part of my EDC rotation. I carry it with the 9 round mag in the pistol backed up with two spare 10 round mags for the 4" EMP. I'm also considering the 4" EMP model. I haven't retired any of my full sized 1911's 45 acp models either in 4 or 5 inch barrel lengths. I find that the EMP shoots well and carries extremely well in my Milt Sparks IWB holsters, as well as my full size 1911's. The 3" barrel EMP is an excellent summer weather carry pistol!!!
I have a Beretta 92S Italian MP model and wasn't a big fan of the trigger on that either. I replaced the trigger and springs and its now one of my favorites. Very smooth and very reliable. Had it about 10 years now without an issue.

Back