testtest

Hellcat .380

Spoons

Alpha
Since Springfield Armory no longer has any .380ACP models to offer, the more and more I think about a Hellcat in a .380 the more I think it's a viable long term product unlike the other .380's that Springfield Armory has offered in the past.

I currently have the standard size Hellcat and I recently obtained a Hellcat Pro and both of these are really nicely sized concealed carry pistols. I think the Hellcat platform is the perfect platform for a .380ACP round and the basic design can remain exactly the same, all you have to change are the few details that will make the .380ACP function reliably. I "think" it's only three things that would need to be changed, the magazine, the barrel and the recoil spring; maybe the grip mold to prevent 9mm mags from fitting inside.

Personally I prefer the Hellcat Pro over the standard size because I generally use front pocket holsters from Alabama Holsters for CC and most of my pockets are deep which puts the standard size Hellcat just beyond a comfortable reach and the Pro size at just the right height.

When I put either one of my Hellcat's in the hands of someone with small hands (I have medium hands) controlling the recoil of the 9mm with the short barrel becomes a little difficult and the .380ACP in this platform would be a lot easier to control. I currently have a Browning 1911-380 and a Glock 42 that I also use for CC and to train friends and in my personal opinion the high capacity Hellcat in a .380ACP would put ALL the competition to shame - especially if they offer it in the Hellcat Pro size!

If Springfield Armory makes a Hellcat and a Hellcat Pro in a .380ACP, I'll be at the front of the line to purchase both models.

Since Springfield Armory no longer has any .380ACP models to offer, the more and more I think about a Hellcat in a .380 the more I think it's a viable long term product unlike the other .380's that Springfield Armory has offered in the past.

I currently have the standard size Hellcat and I recently obtained a Hellcat Pro and both of these are really nicely sized concealed carry pistols. I think the Hellcat platform is the perfect platform for a .380ACP round and the basic design can remain exactly the same, all you have to change are the few details that will make the .380ACP function reliably. I "think" it's only three things that would need to be changed, the magazine, the barrel and the recoil spring; maybe the grip mold to prevent 9mm mags from fitting inside.

Personally I prefer the Hellcat Pro over the standard size because I generally use front pocket holsters from Alabama Holsters for CC and most of my pockets are deep which puts the standard size Hellcat just beyond a comfortable reach and the Pro size at just the right height.

When I put either one of my Hellcat's in the hands of someone with small hands (I have medium hands) controlling the recoil of the 9mm with the short barrel becomes a little difficult and the .380ACP in this platform would be a lot easier to control. I currently have a Browning 1911-380 and a Glock 42 that I also use for CC and to train friends and in my personal opinion the high capacity Hellcat in a .380ACP would put ALL the competition to shame - especially if they offer it in the Hellcat Pro size!

If Springfield Armory makes a Hellcat and a Hellcat Pro in a .380ACP, I'll be at the front of the line to purchase both models.

Not gonna happen. It's not importable.

As Hans alluded to, below is a clipped post to a Glock forum on why Glock does not import their .380:

(Note, I cannot verify the accuracy of this post below, but it seemed reasonable to me upon finding it with a simple Google-search and found this information on XD-Search)

Many of the Glock's parts and sometimes the whole gun are dictated or limited by the BATF's system of "import points". To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points
Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
Forged steel frame 15
Forged HTS alloy frame 20
Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
.22 short and .25 auto 0
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
9mm parabellum and over 10
Locked breech mechanism 5
Loaded chamber indicator 5
Grip safety 3
Magazine safety 5
Firing pin block or lock 10
External hammer 2
Double action 10
Drift adjustable target sight 5
Click adjustable target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2

As we know, the Hellcat is polymer and made overseas, hence it needs to comply with ATF import rules.

As Hans alluded to, below is a clipped post to a Glock forum on why Glock does not import their .380:

(Note, I cannot verify the accuracy of this post below, but it seemed reasonable to me upon finding it with a simple Google-search and found this information on XD-Search)

Many of the Glock's parts and sometimes the whole gun are dictated or limited by the BATF's system of "import points". To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points
Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
Forged steel frame 15
Forged HTS alloy frame 20
Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
.22 short and .25 auto 0
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
9mm parabellum and over 10
Locked breech mechanism 5
Loaded chamber indicator 5
Grip safety 3
Magazine safety 5
Firing pin block or lock 10
External hammer 2
Double action 10
Drift adjustable target sight 5
Click adjustable target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2

As we know, the Hellcat is polymer and made overseas, hence it needs to comply with ATF import rules.
To be clear, this applies to their Glock 25 (G19 sized .380) and Glock 28 (G26 in .380) models. The Glock 42 .380 is available because it's made in the US.

Not gonna happen. It's not importable.
I didn't know about the .380 importing issue.

SOLUTION: If they can't import it, then they should make it in the USA. I'm absolutely certain that Springfield Armory could "locally" source every component needed in the design so it's 100% "Made in the USA". Of course the way inflation has recently taken off in the USA, the cost of "Made in the USA" for this product idea might be an issue.

Why would anyone want a .380 when the 9mm is perfectly serviceable and concealable ?
I literally answered that question before you asked it in my comment above, "When I put either one of my Hellcat's in the hands of someone with small hands (I have medium hands) controlling the recoil of the 9mm with the short barrel becomes a little difficult and the .380ACP in this platform would be a lot easier to control." That is literally the reason why someone would want a .380 in the Hellcat platform.

SA would have to re-name it the ...Bobcat, due to the less powerful cartridge.
Bobcat is a really decent name. I also thought of Microcat, Minicat, Pygmycat, Blackcat, Sphynx, Bengal, Cheetah or my personal favorite would be one of the following Puma, Panther or Cougar. Of course for simplicity it could be called Hellcat 380 thus maintaining the core platform name Hellcat.

I didn't know about the .380 importing issue.

SOLUTION: If they can't import it, then they should make it in the USA. I'm absolutely certain that Springfield Armory could "locally" source every component needed in the design so it's 100% "Made in the USA". Of course the way inflation has recently taken off in the USA, the cost of "Made in the USA" for this product idea might be an issue.
Because Springfield doesn’t make the Hellcat.

HS Produkt of Croatia makes it.

Bobcat is a really decent name. I also thought of Microcat, Minicat, Pygmycat, Blackcat, Sphynx, Bengal, Cheetah or my personal favorite would be one of the following Puma, Panther or Cougar. Of course for simplicity it could be called Hellcat 380 thus maintaining the core platform name Hellcat.
my vote is for "cougar", or "cougar380". now, i'm no marketing genius but the target audience could be middle aged women who prowl on younger men (definition of cougar). fits perfect since this demographic may appreciate the mild recoil. this could be huge win! or a major loss. then again, what do i know.
ps- this is all in jest.

I literally answered that question before you asked it in my comment above, "When I put either one of my Hellcat's in the hands of someone with small hands (I have medium hands) controlling the recoil of the 9mm with the short barrel becomes a little difficult and the .380ACP in this platform would be a lot easier to control." That is literally the reason why someone would want a .380 in the Hellcat platform.
I would argue that if 9mm is too uncontrollable something isn’t right with the grip, the stance or the gun. Probably best to work that out before resorting to carrying a .380.

my vote is for "cougar", or "cougar380". now, i'm no marketing genius but the target audience could be middle aged women who prowl on younger men (definition of cougar). fits perfect since this demographic may appreciate the mild recoil. this could be huge win! or a major loss. then again, what do i know.
ps- this is all in jest.
You mean a gun right…….🤪🤪🤪🤪

ps- this is all in jest.
Cougar is already trademarked by Beretta—as is Bobcat, Tomcat, Alley Cat, Cheetah…

I have not shot any of the Hellcats without the compensator, so I have no idea if they'd be uncontrollable for me or not. However, I do have the Hellcat RDP and apparently the comp works very well as I have absolutely no problem with recoil or keeping it on target for that 2nd shot.

Back