testtest

The case for spare ammo

Around my parts most CCW folks are off body carrying. Since most everyone's using a backpack for something. The CCW (some) have decided to incorporate that with a AR pistol and 6-8 30 rd mags.
Almost makes carrying a handgun like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Around my parts most CCW folks are off body carrying. Since most everyone's using a backpack for something. The CCW (some) have decided to incorporate that with a AR pistol and 6-8 30 rd mags.
Almost makes carrying a handgun like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Hard pass on carrying a backpack around 24/7 like I do my handgun. Interesting idea, but not that interesting.

Ayoob says:
Two complete reloads was standard equipment for most police officers before any of us here were born.

Given that Ayoob is no spring chicken, that translates into 12 rounds.

I carry 21 in one spare mag.
When I read this quote it seemed to me that the emphasis was on having the reloads not the amount of ammunition in them.

When I was in the Army the issue magazine pouch for a 1911 held two reloads. When they switched over to the M9 the issued magazine pouch still held two reloads.

The local cops (M&P9) all carry two reloads and every security company I ever worked for issued or authorized two reloads, regardless of whether you were issued a revolver or semiautomatic.

Even when you buy a new handgun they sell it to you with two spare magazines.

At some point two reloads became the industry standard.

Well, just having a spare mag irregardless of capacity is indeed not a bad idea. A friend owns a restaurant and has found a number of magazines that were accidently dumped at a bench seat. Yeah I know it just cannot happen to you or me, but it happened to others, including two cases by leos he said.

Hard pass on carrying a backpack around 24/7 like I do my handgun. Interesting idea, but not that interesting.
I think it's more common today because of all the crap besides a gun that people carry.

When I was working as a security guard I always brought a backpack to work with me.

It had my company coat in it. It had a pair of long johns in it all the time. Beanie hat, gloves, rain gear. Spare charger for my phone. Spare knife. Extra notebooks and pencils. My lunch, my water bottle, my stylish yellow safety vest. And down at the very bottom of the pack I always had an extra pair of socks underwear and a t-shirt. Some of my coworkers. Laptops so they could watch movies at work instead of doing their job.

I remember reading a discussion on another forum about people questioning whether it was a viable option to bring an AR pistol or a CZ scorpion to work in their backpack "just in case".

To me that's just asking for trouble that you don't need cuz sooner or later you're going to get caught

Well, just having a spare mag irregardless of capacity is indeed not a bad idea. A friend owns a restaurant and has found a number of magazines that were accidently dumped at a bench seat. Yeah I know it just cannot happen to you or me, but it happened to others, including two cases by leos he said.
Did he put them in the lost and found?

I remember thinking it would never happen to me until the night I got to work and I got out of my car and my magazine thumped to the ground beside me.

I was walking my rounds at work one night and I had my spare magazines in a company issued magazine pouch that had no retention on it. I was walking along the fence and all of a sudden a spare magazine bounced off my foot.

I went and bought a Bianchi accumold on my own dime the very next day

I’m looking for a magazine carrier that doesn’t allow the stainless steel of the magazine to show.
You might want to consider UMTactical.com . Their magazine carriers are very slim and very concealable. They are adjustable in width, thickness and draw friction. Pictured is one of them with a Hellcat 15 round magazine. While it does not conceal the stainless 100%, keep in mind that you need enough magazine above the top to firmly grasp when drawing. Consider blacking out the lower outside portion of the mag with a sharpie if you need it totally dark.

UMTacticalMagPouch.jpg

Carry double mag holders for my single stacks but only one for my Hellcat due to the 15 round mags I got for extended grip purchase with XL hands giving me 19, 25, or 31 rounds on tap, which I think will be enough if I do my job correctly.

You should of seen the blood run out of the faces of the executives in one of our security meetings at work after the last shooting. They had all these ideas about different things then I brought up the fact that 90% of our employees carry a backpack into work. I then laid out the fact that unless they were putting metal detectors in at every doorway there was no hope of ever keeping Firearms out of the workplace. Since cars were getting broke into in our parking lot I basically said do you think that these people are going to leave their 700-800, 12-1500 gun in their car all day?
The looks on their faces was just priceless!

Their reaction was to hire three more security guards to walk parking lot all day long.
For the record the guards are not armed and they are not allowed to hold anybody.
More cost and useless. Reminds me of Barney Fife blowing his whistle and yelling citizens arrest ....

What they did do was build a safe room with bulletproof drywall. Good for handguns, useless for any rifle calibers.
When I say good for handguns but I really mean is if they shoot once or twice it'll stop it if you put more than a couple of rounds within a 5-in circle it's going to blast right on through that stuff. I told the executive secretaries if they ever have to go into that room lay down on the floor and they asked me how I knew that I told him simply I took some of the cut off pieces and I tested it out, lay on the floor.

You should of seen the blood run out of the faces of the executives in one of our security meetings at work after the last shooting. They had all these ideas about different things then I brought up the fact that 90% of our employees carry a backpack into work. I then laid out the fact that unless they were putting metal detectors in at every doorway there was no hope of ever keeping Firearms out of the workplace. Since cars were getting broke into in our parking lot I basically said do you think that these people are going to leave their 700-800, 12-1500 gun in their car all day?
The looks on their faces was just priceless!

Having retired for the second and last time I no longer have to worry over much about workplace security. I get to sit back and live the life of the retired country gentleman and limit my travels into the city. Most of my trips into the local establishments I do not feel underarmed with a jframe in my hip pocket.

I do however keep a well equipped Ghb in the vehicles when I leave the house.

When I'm carrying an auto, I always carry a spare mag...not for the ammo, but for the mag (the weakest link). There's also a few malfs that are easier to clear by ditching the mag...and faster

I usually care a speed strip/loader when I carry a revolver, but...that's more out of habit than thinking I'll actually need it. Odds are massively against it.

I am reaching back to Southeast Asia in 1970-1973. I was an Air Force Security Policeman in the Airbase Defense Section. (The Town Patrol was a lot more fun but that's a different story). Our basic issue was a S&W Model 15 with 18 rounds (12 rounds in dump pouches), and an M-16 with 180 rounds. The bosses thought we should carry 18 rounds in our 20 round magazines to relieve some pressure from the mag springs. After thinking about that for a while I started adding bandoliers of 5.56 to my gear bag just in case, a couple here and there. I am not sure how much ammo I was ultimately carrying but it got to the point that I needed help getting the bag into the posting deuce. I still have a collection of those safety pins. I was so relieved when I was assigned my own jeep. I did 3 tours over there and would do it all over again if I had the chance.

Back