testtest

EDC for three years now

I recently had an attemted break-in in our home Deland Florida. The perps were teenagers they tried to break into the agrage my house alarm went off. the keypad said that the side garage door was a jar. the wife and i have drills for these types of situations. We went out the front door with pistols at ready. We confronted two kids with a crowbar and one kid waiting in a running truck. I told them to halt and put the crowbar down. they started to approach us. i fired three shoots in front of them into the ground. The driver screamed get in the truck. they got in then backed away from us and sped off. the cameras got video of them. They also left finger prints on the garage door and our vehicles. They were apprehended five days later. As a responsible EDC that was the choice we made in 7 seconds. We are very happy they did not approach us and they chose to get in the truck as ordered. And we belive their parents are too.

Joe & Angela
Always at ready
Deland Florida

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently had an attemted break-in in our home Deland Florida. The perps were teenagers they tried to break into the agrage my house alarm went off. the keypad said that the side garage door was a jar. the wife and i have drills for these types of situations. We went out the front door with pistols at ready. We confronted two kids with a crowbar and one kid waiting in a running truck. I told them to halt and put the crowbar down. they started to approach us. i fired three shoots in front of them into the ground. The driver screamed get in the truck. they got in then backed away from us and sped off. the cameras got video of them. They also left finger prints on the garage door and our vehicles. They were apprehended five days later. As a responsible EDC that was the choice we made in 7 seconds. We are very happy they did not approach us and they chose to get in the truck as ordered. And we belive their parents are too.

Joe & Angela
Always at ready
Deland Florida
Are you going to face charges for recklessly discharging your firearm? Are you familiar with the 21 foot rule. If you were in fear for your lives you should have ended theirs. And you say they approached you and then you say you were very happy they did not approach you. Are the police aware you fired not one but three shots?

I’m reluctant to even comment on this but here goes anyway….

Your response of going “out the front door with pistols at the ready” when, at that moment, you were safe inside the non-garage part of your home was NOT a self-defense action. It was a confrontational act.
I do realize the almost natural urge we all have to protect what’s ours, but…that ain’t the law, fella.

I see nothing in your post about hitting 911 on your phone. I assume that happened afterwards? And the cops didn’t do anything about you firing shots? Just took fingerprints?!?

Sorry, I’m not buying this tale. Post a police report number, please.

I’m reluctant to even comment on this but here goes anyway….

Your response of going “out the front door with pistols at the ready” when, at that moment, you were safe inside the non-garage part of your home was NOT a self-defense action. It was a confrontational act.
I do realize the almost natural urge we all have to protect what’s ours, but…that ain’t the law, fella.

I see nothing in your post about hitting 911 on your phone. I assume that happened afterwards? And the cops didn’t do anything about you firing shots? Just took fingerprints?!?

Sorry, I’m not buying this tale. Post a police report number, please.
i responded to this thread, but the thread got shut down...for whatever reason(s).

i basically said the same thing, that what is Florida's laws regarding "going outside with a weapon in had and start shooting"?

as you stated, as many like Paul Harrell said and a few other experts, when you are inside your home, you are safe.

the o/p should have stayed inside his home, and if then the perps entered his garage, the garage is an extension of the home, and then, maybe then, he could have shot them.

otherwise, yes, he went outside safety, and was "looking" for a confrontation.

i too am not buying his story, unless he can post a police report....

right now, i am calling this a full blown BS fairy tale.

Well, I’m not commenting on the post. I can tell you in Missouri anyway if someone is breaking into your car on your driveway it is not illegal to confront them. It is however illegal to shoot them unless your life is threatened.

Also, the 21 foot rule is only a rule on the internet. It damn sure isn’t a law and someone charging you from say 30’ away might still kill you.

Well, I’m not commenting on the post. I can tell you in Missouri anyway if someone is breaking into your car on your driveway it is not illegal to confront them. It is however illegal to shoot them unless your life is threatened.

Also, the 21 foot rule is only a rule on the internet. It damn sure isn’t a law and someone charging you from say 30’ away might still kill you.
I have never even heard of a “21 foot rule”….
???

well as i read it, he can be charged..

"
It is close to bedtime and as you’re walking around your house making sure all the doors are locked you notice someone on your property looking at your car parked at the end of your driveway. At this point, you have the legal right to open the door and yell at him to get off your property. And if he does not do so, Florida law allows you to either use or threaten to use non-deadly force to expel the person from your property.

What you cannot do is take out your firearm and let a round off in the air, as that is the use of deadly force. If while watching the person he decides to smash out your car window and reach into your car to take something, you once again would only be allowed to use or threaten to use non-deadly force to try and prevent him from taking your stuff. A lot of people have the mistaken belief that in this situation a person would be justified using deadly force."

well as i read it, he can be charged..

Boy you sure seem to gloss over facts a lot. Like the one where 2 guys, one armed with a crowbar were approaching him. In Florida you may not have the right to start shooting at people who are breaking into your property, but I’m pretty sure you have the right to fire warning shots ( stupid as that is) at people coming towards you with crowbars. 🙄

i responded to this thread, but the thread got shut down...for whatever reason(s).

i basically said the same thing, that what is Florida's laws regarding "going outside with a weapon in had and start shooting"?

as you stated, as many like Paul Harrell said and a few other experts, when you are inside your home, you are safe.

the o/p should have stayed inside his home, and if then the perps entered his garage, the garage is an extension of the home, and then, maybe then, he could have shot them.

otherwise, yes, he went outside safety, and was "looking" for a confrontation.

i too am not buying his story, unless he can post a police report....

right now, i am calling this a full blown BS fairy tale.
At the top of the page a while ago, there was indeed something about the thread being moderated or edited by mods or some such…
Maybe some other posts were taken down due to verbiage - we don’t always realize how our own words ‘read’ to someone else 😉

But yes, to leave a safe space (as pertains to the moment) in order to knowingly go to the danger generally voids your right to the use of deadly force, and your right to threaten to use such.

I now think that tale was just a trolling effort….

Boy you sure seem to gloss over facts a lot. Like the one where 2 guys, one armed with a crowbar were approaching him. In Florida you may not have the right to start shooting at people who are breaking into your property, but I’m pretty sure you have the right to fire warning shots ( stupid as that is) at people coming towards you with crowbars. 🙄
then why have a gun, and shoot into the air, or ground, when someone is coming at you?

wouldn't shooting at, at least one be more effective?

he goes down, crowbar in hand, and the cops see it more as a self defensive shooting than just shooting (maybe negligently) with in city limits?

but then the smart cops will ask him, "why did you leave the safety of your house, to confront these punks"?

then why have a gun, and shoot into the air, or ground, when someone is coming at you?

wouldn't shooting at, at least one be more effective?

he goes down, crowbar in hand, and the cops see it more as a self defensive shooting than just shooting (maybe negligently) with in city limits?
You read the part I put in parentheses right ?

And city limits. Jesus dude. In a conceal carry state shooting in self defense ( which as dumb as warning shots are, it’s still self defense) does not equal negligently discharging a weapon in city limits. I don’t know where you live Old Me but it has warped your thinking.

The bottom line is I think what the OP did is NOT what I would have done, but it is highly unlikely he broke the law or will be charged. Armed guy coming at you and your wife equals justified. And confronting someone outside your home is legal. Doing it unarmed is ridiculously stupid.

And city limits. Jesus dude. In a conceal carry state shooting in self defense ( which as dumb as warning shots are, it’s still self defense) does not equal negligently discharging a weapon in city limits. I don’t know where you live Old Me but it has warped your thinking.

The bottom line is I think what the OP did is NOT what I would have done, but it is highly unlikely he broke the law or will be charged. Armed guy coming at you and your wife equals justified. And confronting someone outside your home is legal. Doing it unarmed is ridiculously stupid.
even in states of "right to carry" or "stand your ground", there can or may be limitations.

Back