Have you had an ND/AD

• Yes

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Not Yet

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters
Check this out
What a total dumbazz!

Every time I clear my XDs, I 1) drop the mag (so nothing new can feed into the chamber), then 2) rack the slide to expel the one that was in the pipe. I think some people make the mistake of doing that in the wrong order - they rack the slide, THEN drop the mag...which means they've only exchanged rounds in the chamber, not emptied it.

I have it down so that when I rack the slide, the round pops up into the air visibly, and I catch it with my left hand. I put the round and the mag down - keeping the gun pointed away from anyone and anything all the while, with my finger OFF the trigger - and I pull the slide back and latch it open to visually check for an empty chamber.

I do that exact process before I clean (have to pull the trigger to strip the XDs). I do that before I hand it to anyone - and they get it with the slide open. I do that before I put it down on the bench at the range. Pretty much, anytime it is off-body and out of the holster...that's the process. If it's loaded, it's either in my hand, or in the holster. Period. Never loaded with an exposed trigger.

My revolver? Drop the cylinder, dump all six rounds. Hand it off with the cylinder dropped and empty. Bolt action .308? Drop the mag, pull the bolt to expel anything in the chamber, and with the bolt back pull the trigger and remove the bolt.

If you want to shoot one of my guns, you can...but I'm handing it to you empty. Period. Not only will I not shoot myself, but I'll be damned if I'll ever let YOU shoot me!

Every time I clear my XDs, I 1) drop the mag (so nothing new can feed into the chamber), then 2) rack the slide to expel the one that was in the pipe. I think some people make the mistake of doing that in the wrong order - they rack the slide, THEN drop the mag...which means they've only exchanged rounds in the chamber, not emptied it.

I have it down so that when I rack the slide, the round pops up into the air visibly, and I catch it with my left hand. I put the round and the mag down - keeping the gun pointed away from anyone and anything all the while, with my finger OFF the trigger - and I pull the slide back and latch it open to visually check for an empty chamber.

I do that exact process before I clean (have to pull the trigger to strip the XDs). I do that before I hand it to anyone - and they get it with the slide open. I do that before I put it down on the bench at the range. Pretty much, anytime it is off-body and out of the holster...that's the process. If it's loaded, it's either in my hand, or in the holster. Period. Never loaded with an exposed trigger.

My revolver? Drop the cylinder, dump all six rounds. Hand it off with the cylinder dropped and empty. Bolt action .308? Drop the mag, pull the bolt to expel anything in the chamber, and with the bolt back pull the trigger and remove the bolt.

If you want to shoot one of my guns, you can...but I'm handing it to you empty. Period. Not only will I not shoot myself, but I'll be damned if I'll ever let YOU shoot me!
Great routine Peglegjoe, It's apparent you are well versed in firearms safety. I do much the same including inserting my pinky in the chamber after locking open the slide to complete a visual and physical check of the chamber.

Check this out
Scary! I couldn't see by the video, but did he drop the magazine before this happened?

It's not very nice of you to call Annihilator that 😠. We all make mistakes (although his was bigger than most, I agree😏).
1583783225702.jpeg

Scary! I couldn't see by the video, but did he drop the magazine before this happened?
Can't see how he could have. It looks like he racked the slide once to load a round in the chamber, then racked it again to eject it. He then pulls the trigger and it fires indicating he must of had the magazine in it with at least one other round that the one he initially ejected.

A wheel gunner for years and years, I have a perforation in the floor from an automatic. Got to pull the mag out FIRST!
Next time you are at the range (indoor) check out the ceiling...... you'd think some folks were hanging their targets up there.
Ceiling and the side wall .. 😳😳
Really makes you scratch your head.

i told a guy the other day at the range:
“Would you mind if I point my pistol at you?”
he said: “ what , why would you say that??”
I said “because you keep pointing yours at me every time you rack a fresh mag or check an empty chamber !!!” Cut it the F!!K out !!!”

Ceiling and the side wall .. 😳😳
Really makes you scratch your head.

i told a guy the other day at the range:
“Would you mind if I point my pistol at you?”
he said: “ what , why would you say that??”
I said “because you keep pointing yours at me every time you rack a fresh mag or check an empty chamber !!!” Cut it the F!!K out !!!”
Some people are just complete tool bags when it comes to muzzle awareness.

Well 3 stories here from when I worked at my local Sheriff Dept. First, deputy was checking in a .22 long rifle in the evidence room, racked the bolt and pulled the trigger, shot hole in ceiling and roof, I had to get a company out to repair the rubber roof, second, deputy was in locker room, took off his duty belt, his S&W pistol started falling out of holster, he grabbed it, it went off shooting a hole in a storage door, third, several Deputies were in the Sgt’s room, and one Deputy was showing the others his new 1911, one of them took safety off and pulled trigger, shot a .45 caliber hole in a desk, so, yes, it does happen.

Last edited:
Well 3 stories here from when I worked at my local Sheriff Dept. First, deputy was checking in a .22 long rifle in the evidence room, racked to bolt and pulled the trigger, shot hole in ceiling and roof, I had to get a company out to repair the rubber roof, second, deputy was in locker room, took off his duty belt, his S&W pistol started falling out of holster, he grabbed it, it went off shooting a hole in a storage door, third, several Deputies were in the Sgt’s room, and one Deputy was showing the others his new 1911, one of them took safety off and pulled trigger, shot a .45 caliber hole in a desk, so, yes, it does happen.
You wouldn't have happened to be that deputy would you....😜

Back