testtest

THE EDC KNIFE

Minimal carry is a Benchmade Bugout.
I carried the Bugout for a year or so, very nice knife. I like the lock, reminds me of the old Blackie Collins Bolt Action. Easy to manipulate with either hand, being a lefty that's important.

I still carry it in my GHB everywhere I go. I have the straight blade version which I tend to prefer in a general use knife.

20221109_151702.jpg

Knife fighting.:unsure:

Okay, specialized training like Honorman is describing aside, anyone who believes they can be trained to win knife fights against other opponents armed with knives with any degree of reliability believes in a fairy tale.

I'm not taking about surprising a guard from behind, I'm talking about squaring off with a bad guy armed with a knife in any other realistic situation anyone here on this board could find themselves in. I'm also not talking about training to minimize damage. Because I don't care what SPECOPS group you trained with, there WILL be damage and it very well could be fatal regardless of your training.

Of course we have had this discussion here before and you really don't have to take my word for it.

As far as EDC, I have multiple and what I am carrying depends on what I am doing and what job I expect my knife to be doing.
Bassbob, you are correct in your assessment. In the class we did spar with training knifes which left some pretty good bruising. The goal here was to learn traps, deflections and counter strikes. Also guarding the vital areas from strikes. The instructor really focused on stealth movement to the target. He told us that the bad guys were almost always armed with a AK 47 that was slung. This meant that one or both hands were on the rifle leaving the neck and torso unprotected. Crazy stuff. Here is a photo of some of the preferred knives for these take downs.
682E014D-BB87-4DBC-8B80-988231C11645.jpeg

View attachment 32356View attachment 32357View attachment 32358I just received this from a buddy of mine in Missouri. We met working together at a steel mill. This won’t be an EDC.

Loveless style drop point

CPM 154 Mirror Polished

Hollow ground blade

416 Stainless Guard and Hardware

Australian Mountain Ash Handle

Heredia Knifeworks
On instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUOO9xAsZ0A/

View attachment 32354
View attachment 32355
What a beauty, Bob Loveless design totally classic.

My choice for an EDC knife has been and always will be an Emerson with the Wave feature. No other folder can deploy as quickly.

My Emerson CQC-7BW

My choice for an EDC knife has been and always will be an Emerson with the Wave feature. No other folder can deploy as quickly.

My Emerson CQC-7BW
I have to ask, in what situation would you be that deploying your knife fast was such acritical factor the fractions of a second counted?

20221201_091349.jpg

These are the knives from my "collection" that have the most meaning to me.

I bought the Buck 110 and the Gerber multi-tool at the PX on Fort Carson right around 1995.

The Buck 110 was a replacement for a knife that I had bought in a pawn shop in Pearland Texas in 1984 and lost at Graf in Germany.

I carried both of them for the rest of my military career. I was in ammo Handler in the Colorado Army National Guard and that Gerber multi-tool came in very handy. I also carried both of them on my duty belt for my entire security "career". The first company I worked for part of my duties was rehanging signs on the perimeter fence and again the Gerber came in very handy for that. They both are now my hiking knives.

The Buck model 422 is a replacement for another knife I bought at the Fort Carson PX and carried on my LBE until someone stole it. It was the best MRE opener I ever owned. I found that one on EBAY a year or so ago.

The third knife is a Benchmade McHenry & Williams 710. The model 710 was the first axis lock knife that Benchmade ever made. It was gifted to me by a friend about 2 years before I retired. I carried it at work every night.

The last one is a common Blue (cheap) Class Benchmade Bugout. I only carry that knife on special occasions because it was a retirement gift from my wife and it's irreplaceable. Even if she could buy me another Bugout it wouldn't be that knife.

Of all of them I carry the model 422 most often. I almost never need a knife now that I'm retired and that one is a well-built little knife and it doesn't take up very much pocket space. It's also a good fidget toy.

If I'm carrying a knife for defensive purposes, and I think that fractions of a second of deployment may matter, I'm not going to carry any folder, period. Fixed blade for the win, every time.
I make a habit of carrying my knife on my left side and my gun on my right so that if someone reaches for my gun I can stab their hand with the knife to get them off.

I've never once had to do that. I've also never once been in any kind of self-defense situation where I thought to reach for a knife before I reached for my OC.

I've also heard too many people who are considered experts in the field say things like "The loser of a knife fight dies in the street and the winner of a knife fight dies in the ambulance." for me to ever seriously consider using a knife for self-defense or trying to knife fight anybody

I carry folders more often in public than anything else. Mostly convience sake for nornal cuttibg uses. The choice of lock varies but, my main pocket knife will never have a Walker lock, now most often called a liner lock, or a frame type lock.

The reason is that they are simply not (in my opinion) safe for a left hander. Grasping one in the saber style grip can put the pads of the fingers in contact with the lock and upon normal compression can cause it to unlock. The reason is the direction of the pads movement in the unlocking direction.I found this out the hard way by getting almost cut by a Benchmade AFCK when the blade unlocked and folded. A light mark due to my quick release but it made me aware there was an issue.

Since that time I did research and my own testing and have found this to be a known issue, hence the creation of the LAWKS, by Lake and Walker and used by CRKT.

Does this mean that those two types of locks WILL fail, no, it means they CAN fail. And being left handed I prefer a lock I feel is safer for left hand use like the Blackie Collins bolt action, the Axis lock and various other.

Last edited:
I carry folders more often in public than anything else. Mostly convience sake for nornal cuttibg uses. The choice of lock varies but, my main pocket knife will never have a Walker lock, now most often called a liner lock, or a frame type lock.

The reason is that they are simply not (in my opinion) safe for a left hander. Grasping one in the saber style grip can put the pads of the fingers in contact with the lock and upon normal compression can cause it to unlock. The reason is the direction of the pads movement in the unlocking direction.I found this out the hard way by getting almost cut by a Benchmade AFCK when the blade unlocked and folded. A light mark due to my quick release but it made me aware there was an issue.

Since that time I did research and my own testing and have found this to be a known issue, hence the creation of the LAWKS, by Lake and Walker and used by CRKT.

Does this mean that those two types of locks WILL fail, no, it means they CAN fail. And being left handed I prefer a lock I feel is safer for left hand use like the Blackie Collins bolt action, the Axis lock and various other.
20221029_093703.jpg

SAK Trekker. The only Liner Lock knife I own and the only left hand friendly Liner Lock knife I've ever seen

View attachment 33054

SAK Trekker. The only Liner Lock knife I own and the only left hand friendly Liner Lock knife I've ever seen
Being a knife maker myself I do not make folders. I had a discussion once with a gentleman I met from the state who was into making folders. I told him a fairly decent niche market might be making left handed liner locks. He had never considered it before and I now wonder if he ever did something with it.

Back