testtest

HOME DEFENSE ZERO

If you have a rifle set up and intended for home defense, how should you zero the red dot sight for home-defense distances?

HOME DEFENSE ZERO
I zero them for 50 yards. Except the green HS-1 handguard. That one is zero'ed I think at 25 yards. I ought to check it because I really can't remember. The thing is at inside the house distances it isn't going to matter. POI might be an inch different.

When sighting in any weapon I figure the range that I might use it and then calculate the flattest trajectory splitting the above and below zero for that gun and range.

This is for a Ruger PC carbine with a red dot on it. I'm not gonna shoot any further than 100 yards with it. Sighted in at 20 or 80 yards splits the above or below zero difference as best it can with the sight over 2" high. If you are in a situation where don't have time to think just aim center on target and you'll be close within the 100 yard range.

Ruger PC Carbine Trajectory.jpg

I don't remember the specifics and the figures, but I do remember a good right up about zeroing a 5.56/.223 rifle at 300 yards, for all situations.... ....the logic being, you will never be more than an inch above below point of aim out to 300 yards, zero it for 50 yards, it becomes near useless past 75-100 yards......
In general, those are fine if your area is compatible with those zeros, but doe those in heavily vegetated areas or in an urban environment folks should zero for distances that will be commonly occurred, whether it down a hallway or in a subdivision.

I don't remember the specifics and the figures, but I do remember a good right up about zeroing a 5.56/.223 rifle at 300 yards, for all situations.... ....the logic being, you will never be more than an inch above below point of aim out to 300 yards, zero it for 50 yards, it becomes near useless past 75-100 yards......

I think you will be further than an inch high or low. This rough trajectory for Federal 223 55gr is zeroed at 300 yards with a 2.5" sight height and it's 4.5" above the sight.
Screenshot_20221205-171302_Chrome.jpg

Especially for home defense my thoughts are with @Bassbob above, just sight in at 36-50 yds. It's all pretty interesting when you start looking at your zero and trajectories together.
About the flatest you'll get with the same setup is zero at 45 yards or approximately 260 yards. You're still around 2.75" high and just under 3" low at 300 yds.
Screenshot_20221205-172613_Chrome.jpg

My rifles aren't for home defense, as there are no distances inside my home that would necessitate a rifle. I do however have a "large format pistol" for that purpose, that is much more compact and maneuverable than my rifles, and the RDS on it is zeroed at 25 yds.
I agree sir. I have pistols hidden around the house for self-defense. And a shotgun nearby if necessary. I think for home defense a shotgun is more useful than a rifle.

As indicated previously, home-defense distances (your actual occupied structure and/or its immediate surroundings) will vary depending on your areas' conditions and your firearms choice should be compatible & effective for the situations that you might have to deal with.

Last edited:
My HD “Heavy Pistol” (a braced MP5 clone) is zeroed at 5 yards—that being the distance I’m most likely going to be shooting inside my home (if not closer).

Zeroing at 25, 36, or 50 yards on a weapon you intend to be used at less than 50 feet is, imho, just plain silly.

Either that, or you had better know your close range offsets like the back of your hand.

A shotgun ? Just one ? 😮
I'm old and retired. I'm down to 20 gauge and a 12 gauge. And with my surgically repaired neck the 20 gauge is the shotgun I keep handy because it's easier on my neck. I might even replace the 12 gauge with another 20 gauge. With that said, I've thought about buying an mini-shell adapter for my 12 gauge and trying the mini-12 shells. That might be a good compromise in less recoil and more capacity.

My HD “Heavy Pistol” (a braced MP5 clone) is zeroed at 5 yards—that being the distance I’m most likely going to be shooting inside my home (if not closer).

Zeroing at 25, 36, or 50 yards on a weapon you intend to be used at less than 50 feet is, imho, just plain silly.

Either that, or you had better know your close range offsets like the back of your hand.
5.56 zeroed at 50 you don’t need to know any offsets. From 0-50 it might be an inch. Zeroed at 5 yards and for some reason need to shoot 25 or 50? Now you need offsets.

With my semi-autos 9mm handguns I kinda have to disagree with the 5 yard sight in. The reason being is you never know how things can unfold and should not assume the action will always be within 5 yards.

In my explanation I have a 1" sight height, I'm guessing your mp5 is higher than that. At a 5 yd sight in I would already be 3" high if the conflict spread out to 25 yds. With your higher sight height that offset would be much greater than the 3" at 25 yds.
1670340398131.png

At a 20 yd sight in I have a much flatter trajectory on my pistols. I am within zero to 1" low out past 50 yards. To me this leaves me with almost no thought about my offsets compared to the 5 yd sight in. Just shoot 1/2" high all the time and I'm good through 50 yds.
1670340545240.png

But then again, an mp5 at 800 rounds per minute fire rate probably ends the conflict before it spreads.

It's just what works for me.

Back