testtest

Do You Avoid Places Where You Are Not Permitted To Carry A Firearm?

Do You Avoid Places Where You Are Not Permitted To Carry A Gun

• 1. Yes

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • 2. No

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 3. Whether I can carry isn't a deciding factor

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

The Night Rider

Professional
This question came up on another forum. I think the poster worded it a little awkwardly. I'm going to attempt to clarify as much as possible.

1. Regardless whether such signs have the force of law in your area, do you avoid private businesses that are posted "No Firearms"?

2. Do you avoid businesses and/or government offices in which it would be illegal for you to carry a firearm?

2a. If you are a law enforcement officer or covered under LEOSA, would you avoid such establishments if you weren't under that protection?

The last question he asked was a little odd.

Would you refrain from taking an international vacation or a cruise primarily based on the fact that you wouldn't be able to carry a firearm?

I'm going to give my answers later in the discussion but I will say I wouldn't go out of the United States or on a Cruise if they let me take a tank with me. God forbid you get on that boat and another outbreak occurs and then you're stuck and you can't get off the boat.

But that's me.

Been into this area before on this forum and I am guessing this will quickly devolve into a "discussion" about carrying even where it is posted against said signs. There is a large chasm between those who believe that it is the right if the business owner to say if weapons are allowed and those who believe thier 2nd right override the owners rights. I happen to believe the owner has the right to control it. My last words here on the subject.

That said, would i visit posted establishments? I have, and likely will in the future, UNARMED. If I can avoid doing so, I will and do, however that's not always possible.

So the honest and short answer is yes.

Last edited:
I disarm only in those places where the law prohibits me bringing my firearm. Florida law lists those places.

The signs have no force of law in Florida. On the rare occasion that I see one I ignore it. But you have to know the law where you are.

Even with LEOSA, you still have to abide by the law where you are.

I have been on 3 cruises and will not be doing another, but being unarmed was not a deciding factor. You go through screening like airport security when boarding.

I won’t carry anywhere that it’s illegal (e.g. government buildings, post offices, schools, etc..)

I ignore signs on private businesses, if they see my firearm and ask me to leave I’d go without question (and probably never come back) but since those signs have no force of law where I live I pay them no mind.

As far as the vacation goes, depends on the destination in question. I’m not going anywhere I think I need to be armed that doesn’t allow me to be armed.

After giving it some thought, the simplest way that I can answer the question is this just not that big of a deal to me. I don't decide where I'm going based on whether or not I can carry a gun there.

The long answer is I don't like going places anyway.

I said it in another discussion but I try to hit the gym at least 4 days a week. I'm usually there for two and a half to three hours and that's really ample time out of the house for me.

I tried to do an exercise class at the VA at least once a week to add some variety to my workout routine and maybe shock my muscles a little bit. Carrying a firearm on VA property is a Federal crime, end of story.

Other than that I can't think of any place that I go that would be posted.

All that said it still comes down to that's not the deciding factor for me

I avoid them on principle, but if I have to go into one I do. And I don’t disarm. Signs have no force of law here.
I agree.

If you conceal your handgun properly and don't discuss firearms with people you don't trust, then no one should know if you're armed or not.

I don't have any stickers on my truck about firearms and don't have any firearm brand t-shirts. I do have a Glock beanie cap that I only wear around the house, but that's about it. I've had that cap for many years and it's black and it's hard to read the Glock letters unless you're real close(or have a similar cap...:))

Many years ago I was out on a date and the restaurant we went to had a "No concealed weapons" sign at the door(this was in the Dallas area). I didn't really want to go to that restaurant and I didn't really like the date I was with. So I told my date I wasn't going to eat there. She started making a little bit of a fuss. I was polite but stood my ground about not going into that restaurant. I drove her home and never went out with her again. I've made some dumb decisions in my life, but that one was a smart one...:)

I don't carry 24/7 so I have no problem going to areas where carrying a firearm is illegal or unwanted. I enjoy going to sports venues, I enjoy going on cruises, as a matter of fact I have three cruises booked for 2023. I enjoy not feeling so paranoid and venerable that I feel I have to carry everywhere. I do carry, especially when I go to Walmart, but for the most part I don't feel the need to carry every time I'm outside my home.

After giving it some thought, the simplest way that I can answer the question is this just not that big of a deal to me. I don't decide where I'm going based on whether or not I can carry a gun there.

The long answer is I don't like going places anyway.

I said it in another discussion but I try to hit the gym at least 4 days a week. I'm usually there for two and a half to three hours and that's really ample time out of the house for me.

I tried to do an exercise class at the VA at least once a week to add some variety to my workout routine and maybe shock my muscles a little bit. Carrying a firearm on VA property is a Federal crime, end of story.

Other than that I can't think of any place that I go that would be posted.

All that said it still comes down to that's not the deciding factor for me
I plan to go to the VA office(Harlingen, Texas) in the next couple of weeks. I won't carry any weapons on the property. But like you I keep my visits to the VA(and other government facilities) to a minimum.

I prefer to workout alone and not in a gym. When I teach a couple of private martial arts students it's at their home and they conceal carry a firearm like I do.

I have a kettle bell, a dumbbell that allows me to set it from 5 to 25 pounds and a punching bag. I also live a couple of blocks from a park where I can walk or ride one of my recumbent trikes...:)

Kentucky……..
Kentucky law allows (open carry) in government buildings……
Post office, federal law no guns inside, that being said most post offices are on rented land so gun stays in the truck.
A supermarket I frequent has signs
(No Weapons) but they are not on the door so I carry concealed, law states signage has to be on the door, as mentioned if the gun is seen and I’m asked to leave I walk no questions asked.
The two local malls I frequent have signs on the doors (No Weapons) I still carry concealed and don’t draw attention to myself. Been 7 years living in Kentucky never had an issue.

I agree with the above. I do not advertise that I am carrying and if for some reason a member of said store or places ask me about it I'll be honest and abide by what they want. Only place I was ever questioned about was the hospital when my Wife was recently in but the security guy happened to know me from bringing in people for various reasons on the job related and he basically told me that it's ok because he knows me. He later told me that they basically allow LEO's the leeway in those cases of a person carrying. But in the event they did ask me to disarm I would honor their requests. Just my two cents....

I will actively avoid a business if there are blatant indications of anti gun sentiment, or just disregard the sign if I need to go in. But I may disarm and go places where it is prohibited to bring a gun, such as Canada (a common day trip from where I live). I don't like it, but sometimes we take chances. I will neither confirm nor deny that when traveling to other states, I carry, even if it's in "Indian Territory" as my Dad would call it.

1671576505504.png

In Virginia these signs are not enforced by state law. If you enter a store that is posted and the personel there realize you are carrying they will ask you to leave immediately. If you don't leave as ordered then you can be charged with tresspassing. I guess Va if the same as some of the other states members live in.

Back