testtest

Is this for real?

Likely it will be written into software, so you would need to pay a few software engineers to reverse engineer the Engine Management and Anti-Theft Systems software.....

You'll likely be able to purchase several new cars for the amount the effort will cost...

The idea is purported to just be for drunk drivers, which they already have systems that can be court ordered for drunk drivers to disable their vehicles with a breathalyzer, but it is a system that can be added on to your vehicle...

And likely, this is an outgrowth of OBD and better government communications, there are so many Breathalyzers installed in cars now, someone probably came up with the bright idea, that if the cars were design to plug a breathalyzer device into, installing breathalyzers in the future would be so much cheaper and easier, and the idea made its way to Congress....

But like anything Big Government, expect the things that fall into reasonable use by the government to continue to expand... ....stolen vehicle, running from cops, behind on payments....... ....kill switch... .....your social media score drops too low? a loyal supporter of the leftist agenda has accused you of being a semi-fascist? Kill Switch, no car no more....

Oh, the government didn't take your car away, it is still your property, so there is no unreasonable seizure issue here, just because they completely disabled it and made it utterly worthless, isn't a seizure...

Pay by the week car financiers already install remote kill switches and trackers in the cars they sell.
My son was involved in a case where his department was searching for a rapist. It came to their attention that perhaps this guy had also kidnapped a young woman off of a street in Philadelphia in the middle of the night. From a security camera picture it was determined that the car that the kidnapper used in Philly had a Va state inspection sticker on the windshield. It soon became apparent that same man was probably responsible for both crimes. Soon it was determined that the car he was driving had a tracker placed on it by the car lot that had sold it to a family member. The car lot folks activated the tracker and within an hour LE in Maryland had arrested the kidnapper/serial rapist and had freed the young woman who had been grabbed off the street in Philadelphia. True story.

Likely it will be written into software, so you would need to pay a few software engineers to reverse engineer the Engine Management and Anti-Theft Systems software.....

You'll likely be able to purchase several new cars for the amount the effort will cost...

The idea is purported to just be for drunk drivers, which they already have systems that can be court ordered for drunk drivers to disable their vehicles with a breathalyzer, but it is a system that can be added on to your vehicle...

And likely, this is an outgrowth of OBD and better government communications, there are so many Breathalyzers installed in cars now, someone probably came up with the bright idea, that if the cars were design to plug a breathalyzer device into, installing breathalyzers in the future would be so much cheaper and easier, and the idea made its way to Congress....

But like anything Big Government, expect the things that fall into reasonable use by the government to continue to expand... ....stolen vehicle, running from cops, behind on payments....... ....kill switch... .....your social media score drops too low? a loyal supporter of the leftist agenda has accused you of being a semi-fascist? Kill Switch, no car no more....

Oh, the government didn't take your car away, it is still your property, so there is no unreasonable seizure issue here, just because they completely disabled it and made it utterly worthless, isn't a seizure...
You won’t have to pay software developers to do anything, this will be an open source software project moments after it’s commercially released on vehicles, it’s just too attractive of an opportunity to pass up. I first read about this government “idea” a while back and have been thinking about the possibilities ever since, the best news is the Auto Manufacturers build in a software update system into new vehicles that makes it easy to install alternative software.

These people we have in Washington treat George Orwell’s “1984” as an instruction manual instead of a work of fiction.

well first, nearly all new cars since the late 1990's have been installing "On Star". i have a Toyota, they got thier own, and so on, and so forth.

so it's already installed in cars, pick up trucks, SUV's, etc.

won't take much to enable it to disable the car, from this point.

it would however be a major safety concern as to when the vehicle gets turned off, like for instance, at a red light, or in a parking spot.

hacking can be an issue as well. as it is now, if you have a car with a remote start, someone can walk near you or behind you, scan you, and download your car's code.

then get into your locked car, start it up and drive away.

best to keep your keys in a type of RFID pocket case.

if guns of the future are to have this, then Christ Almighty, i hope that what we have now is grandfathered-in, rather than we have to turn them in.

but at my age, and the age of many others here, we very well may not have any guns in the nursing homes anyway's

Pay by the week car financiers already install remote kill switches and trackers in the cars they sell.
And court ordered Breathalyzers are installed that will kill your vehicle as well, for those with a DUI habit...

Difference is, these are after the fact add on devices that can be removed.....

When you read the article, keep in mind the dumbest person in the room is always the reporter...

When they tell its a kill switch, they are too ignorant to understand what is described to them....

Modern vehicles operate with a digital data network and what they likely are proposing with the legislation is requiring a socket and protocol in the physical and software network for some sort of kill device like the breathalyzers or financiers are installing now, to make it quick and simple to install these devices....

So it may turn out this is simply requiring manufacturer's to equip the vehicle at the factory with the provisions to quickly and easily install these devices, and government at all levels won't be abusing this feature they are insisting needs to be so quick and cheap to install....

But, since when has even the best government not abused their power at some time?

So this may turn out, there really isn't a kill switch on new cars, the car is just equipped that you can install a government or debtor kill device themselves in 2 minutes themselves at 1/10th the cost it takes now.... ....if you don't want the kill switch, don't have one installed, if you get yourself into trouble where you shouldn't be allowed to drive, but on someone's mercy they are going to let you drive anyway, if you have one of these kill switches they control to keep you from getting in trouble again, well, that's up to you.... ....and I agree, even this can be abused....

Or it may be, the government really wants the ability to kill any vehicle at their whim, and thinks they have the right to require it....

Last edited:
You won’t have to pay software developers to do anything, this will be an open source software project moments after it’s commercially released on vehicles, it’s just too attractive of an opportunity to pass up. I first read about this government “idea” a while back and have been thinking about the possibilities ever since, the best news is the Auto Manufacturers build in a software update system into new vehicles that makes it easy to install alternative software.

These people we have in Washington treat George Orwell’s “1984” as an instruction manual instead of a work of fiction.
Have you ever priced the Auto Manufacturers tool to install software updates? Its almost the price of a new car. Have you heard how they have idiot proofed it to the point they are unusable for anything except the manufacturer intended procedures.

Even the reversed engineer devices are extremely expensive.....

So while its possible, its not as simple as you say...

And you do realize that every manufacturer has encrypted security with data logging on their vehicle networks and devices.... ....which complicates and makes more expensive doing these overwrites with different software or data tables... ...and if you do it, there will be record you can't erase the Manufacturer will find if you make a warranty claim, which will be denied and warranty voided for changing the software...

I have been screaming for years, there needs to be legislation to define the software rights of vehicles owners that is being horribly abused by the Manufacturers..... ....what do we get instead, proposed kill switches....

So I'm with you, but I don't think its as easy and cheap as your saying, and lots of folks who try it are likely going to end up with voided warranties...

Most of the engine control software is writtten on chips. You can almost bet that as soon as this comes out there will be aftermarket chips offered as replacements just like they offer chips for better horse power, better mileage etc. Probably even by the OEM manufacturer. It would be just too big a market to ignore.

At the rate things are going in my life I'll probably die before the truck does.
no matter how things are, i have always been told, "there is always someone worse off than you"

that might be true, i mean look at this guy....(Carrot Top)

CarrotTop-beforeafter.jpg

or these twin brothers..

Celebrity-Plastic-Surgery-Disasters.jpg

Back