testtest

Springfield’s “Switterbeet” 9mm?

The RO is one of the best 1911’s on the market. I wouldn’t even consider it entry level 1911. FSC would set it off, but that’s neither here nor there. It is truly accurate out of the box. Would give the Colt competition a run along with Kimber’s (and I’m not a Kimber fan) I got mine when they first came out, and was impressed.

I have only tried one 1911 that was chambered in 9mm, it was a Taurus in stainless, it shot and functioned fine, wasn’t mine gun, but I tried to buy it off my friend......

I just bought one of these, used from GunBroker, in Stainless Steel. Then I read the article that brought me to this thread, not the other way 'round.

I'm really looking forward to receiving my new gun.

Anyone know how to determine the date of manufacture, based on the serial number?

My 9mm Loaded Target that I got in the mid-90's is the same configuration.

SA has a tendency to rename models that have the same spec.

It's all about marketing. Nice pistol none-the-less.

My .02

It's all about marketing. Nice pistol none-the-less.
I'm not interested in the "marketing", and I already bought one of their new SA-35 guns, but they can't seem to get me a gun that works properly - sort of an important consideration, and I don't want to spend $300 on replacement parts for a $700 gun that sells for hundreds more. My current thoughts on Springfield are that they made quality guns in the past, and that bullseye shooters start with a bare 1911 Springfield and make wonderful competition guns, at an affordable price.

I'm sure I can send this gun to Dave Salyer and get back a perfect 9mm 1911 for Bullseye Shooting. I expect the gun I ordered to work well enough "out of the box". I don't care about the fancy grips now on the gun - will exchange for "sharks skin grips".

Back to you - what did you like about your gun? What did you dislike? Were there any changes you needed to, or wanted to, make to it? Is the new style front sight they use better than the plain black steel post that used to come with this model? What kind of guide rod does it use?

You seem to know these guns very well. What my eventual goal is, would be to replicate this modified Springfield (maybe with a red dot sight as shown here) but in 9mm:

IMG_6622 2.jpg

I'm not interested in the "marketing", and I already bought one of their new SA-35 guns, but they can't seem to get me a gun that works properly - sort of an important consideration, and I don't want to spend $300 on replacement parts for a $700 gun that sells for hundreds more. My current thoughts on Springfield are that they made quality guns in the past, and that bullseye shooters start with a bare 1911 Springfield and make wonderful competition guns, at an affordable price.

I'm sure I can send this gun to Dave Salyer and get back a perfect 9mm 1911 for Bullseye Shooting. I expect the gun I ordered to work well enough "out of the box". I don't care about the fancy grips now on the gun - will exchange for "sharks skin grips".

Back to you - what did you like about your gun? What did you dislike? Were there any changes you needed to, or wanted to, make to it? Is the new style front sight they use better than the plain black steel post that used to come with this model? What kind of guide rod does it use?

You seem to know these guns very well. What my eventual goal is, would be to replicate this modified Springfield (maybe with a red dot sight as shown here) but in 9mm:

View attachment 35055
The "marketing" statement wasn't directed to you it's just what SA & other companies do to attract buyers.

My 9mm Loaded Target has been fine with it's original 9mm barrel, and when I converted it to shoot the 9x23 Winchester. That only required a new Nowlin 9x23 barrel, a full-length recoil spring guide (vs. the traditional short one), a stouter recoil spring & tweaking the extractor a bit. Mine didn't come with a fiber-optic front sight but a standard front black one which is fine with me.

I can't speak for the current quality of SA 1911's since I got the one I'm talking about in the mid-90's, and haven't bought a SA 1911 since, but mine (as NIB) was put together fine.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place & a good gunsmith to make it into what you want.

Good luck with your project.

That only required a new Nowlin 9x23 barrel, a full-length recoil spring guide (vs. the traditional short one), a stouter recoil spring & tweaking the extractor a bit.
If I sent the gun to Dave, I'm pretty sure he would install a match barrel. I'm curious though, why did you replace the traditional short spring guide with a full-length guide?

I've never used a fiber-optic front sight - I'm used to a plain black steel front sight, possibly painted white to make it easier to see against the black bull.

What is different about the 9x23 Winchester that made you want to use it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×23mm_Winchester
For my purposes, targets, I don't need "more power" and would prefer less.
That you could convert your gun implies you know a lot about guns already.

Back