testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

That's what I figured. I think the numbers you are claiming for trigger pull weight are simply inaccurate. I can pull the trigger on my RIA 1911 (which is a 5# pull) quickly and also claim that it has a 2.5# trigger - if I want to claim a low number, rather than an accurate one.

I emailed Wheeler to ask about how to get correct measurements and whether the speed of the pull should be affecting the measurement. This is their response:

"With the designed measurements of the unit processing by 2 units it will require a slow trigger pull during use and may not be accurate with a quick trigger pull."

When I use my gauge, I pull the trigger as slowly as I can. That gives me the most consistent results, and, based on what Wheeler's said, the most accurate.

I could be wrong about the pull on your trigger, but I will say I am HIGHLY skeptical that a stock, factory Prodigy trigger (even after 2000 rounds) is really 2.5# on the pull (or was 3#, right out of the box).
After reading your comment I went back and rechecked the trigger on my Prodigy and I think you made a valid point on the use of a trigger gauge.
With my Lyman digital gauge, if I pull back as slowly as possible I get different results depending on how fast or slow my pull is. When I initially checked my Prodigy I was getting 6+ lb pulling slowly. When I checked it recently I think I must have been a bit hasty and pulled it a bit faster resulting in better than actual results.
I went back this last time and using a very slow pull I came up with a new set of readings that are a bit higher. My newest results show a trigger weight more in the 5 lb range or maybe a bit less which is definitely an improvement over original but not as much as I thought.
So I' m not talking about anyone else, but in my case at least, I can see how different results can be obtained unless pull rates are very consistent. I would not have thought that pull speed was so critical. Just goes to show that we can always learn new things.

That's what I figured. I think the numbers you are claiming for trigger pull weight are simply inaccurate. I can pull the trigger on my RIA 1911 (which is a 5# pull) quickly and also claim that it has a 2.5# trigger - if I want to claim a low number, rather than an accurate one.

I emailed Wheeler to ask about how to get correct measurements and whether the speed of the pull should be affecting the measurement. This is their response:

"With the designed measurements of the unit processing by 2 units it will require a slow trigger pull during use and may not be accurate with a quick trigger pull."

When I use my gauge, I pull the trigger as slowly as I can. That gives me the most consistent results, and, based on what Wheeler's said, the most accurate.

I could be wrong about the pull on your trigger, but I will say I am HIGHLY skeptical that a stock, factory Prodigy trigger (even after 2000 rounds) is really 2.5# on the pull (or was 3#, right out of the box).
When I drove race cars around a track I didn’t need a speedometer to know whether a car was fast or not. Given that Wheeler even admits that their gauge might not be us accurate/reliable as is implied, I’m going with my finger gauge which as I mentioned in the post you quoted is pretty accurate. YMMV. I don’t want to use the term hair trigger, but my Prodigy has an extremely light trigger - certainly comparable to an Atlas race gun I recently shot. I can’t help you if that doesn’t fit your narrative. And I believe I said my Prodigy had an 4# pull out of the box.

When I drove race cars around a track I didn’t need a speedometer to know whether a car was fast or not. Given that Wheeler even admits that their gauge might not be us accurate/reliable as is implied, I’m going with my finger gauge which as I mentioned in the post you quoted is pretty accurate. YMMV. I don’t want to use the term hair trigger, but my Prodigy has an extremely light trigger - certainly comparable to an Atlas race gun I recently shot. I can’t help you if that doesn’t fit your narrative. And I believe I said my Prodigy had an 4# pull out of the box.
While @SimonRL didn’t use a speedometer to see how fast he was going, he just used the next best thing…..

1675109188084.jpeg

After reading your comment I went back and rechecked the trigger on my Prodigy and I think you made a valid point on the use of a trigger gauge.
With my Lyman digital gauge, if I pull back as slowly as possible I get different results depending on how fast or slow my pull is. When I initially checked my Prodigy I was getting 6+ lb pulling slowly. When I checked it recently I think I must have been a bit hasty and pulled it a bit faster resulting in better than actual results.
I went back this last time and using a very slow pull I came up with a new set of readings that are a bit higher. My newest results show a trigger weight more in the 5 lb range or maybe a bit less which is definitely an improvement over original but not as much as I thought.
So I' m not talking about anyone else, but in my case at least, I can see how different results can be obtained unless pull rates are very consistent. I would not have thought that pull speed was so critical. Just goes to show that we can always learn new things.
Yeah, I doubted my manual wheeler gauge a bit… I took a 3lb and 5lb weight, lifted each very, very slowly to the point it just left the table. Both weights listed 1 ounce lighter on the scale than claimed weight…so I know the gauge is good.

I hate the hook on the gauge, very tough to use on trigger safety type guns too. I may just have to fasten something to it for that.. but I try to go slow and deliberate and usually take an average of 3 to 5 readings. I get 3 in a row that are within an ounce or two of each other, I call it good.

Yeah, I doubted my manual wheeler gauge a bit… I took a 3lb and 5lb weight, lifted each very, very slowly to the point it just left the table. Both weights listed 1 ounce lighter on the scale than claimed weight…so I know the gauge is good.

I hate the hook on the gauge, very tough to use on trigger safety type guns too. I may just have to fasten something to it for that.. but I try to go slow and deliberate and usually take an average of 3 to 5 readings. I get 3 in a row that are within an ounce or two of each other, I call it good.
There should be a flat faced piece that fits over the v-shaped gauge for trigger safety guns (I assume you mean a dongle).

When I raced motorcycles around a track, I didn't need a speedometer, either. But, I did need a stopwatch. Because even a bike that feels ridiculously fast is not necessarily actually fast.

Wheeler said their gauge might not be accurate if you use it wrong - for example by pulling the trigger too fast. They didn't say it's not accurate.

Out of the box it was high 3 lbs. it was smooth right from the start.

Anyway, you believe what you want. You and everyone else should simply understand that when you say you have a 2.5# trigger, there is no real evidence to support that that is accurate.

Anyway, you believe what you want. You and everyone else should simply understand that when you say you have a 2.5# trigger, there is no real evidence to support that that is accurate.
I will say…if you forget to deactivate the grip safety when pulling the trigger to test, you may get to 8 or 9 lbs before you realize….you forgot to squeeze the grip.
I was told that by a friend, in no way, shape or form would I ever forget to do such thing…. LOL.

Wow, do I owe you money or something? Would it make you feel better if I said if I pull really, really slow I get 3#2oz would that be high enough for you? Would it make you feel better about your Prodigy?

I will say…if you forget to deactivate the grip safety when pulling the trigger to test, you may get to 8 or 9 lbs before you realize….you forgot to squeeze the grip.
I was told that by a friend, in no way, shape or form would I ever forget to do such thing…. LOL.

I also have a Canik Rival, which I have done a lot of trigger work to. When I measure it, if I want it to give me a 5-pull average of 1.75 #, I can. I can pull it quickly and with enough consistency to get a 5-pull average with that reading.

But, when I do it correctly - i.e. the way that Wheeler says to do it - it gives me consistent numbers with a 5-pull average just a hair over 3#.

And if I went around saying that my Rival had a 1.75# trigger, well, I would just be wrong.

Here’s what I know.. I frankly don’t care enough to argue with anyone on the internet about my own trigger pull weight, regardless of how I got it and what I did to get there.

Here’s what I do care about…
If the money and time I spent on my guns, my tools, my ammo, my range time.. made me happy.

just a little food for thought.

Here’s what I know.. I frankly don’t care enough to argue with anyone on the internet about my own trigger pull weight, regardless of how I got it and what I did to get there.

If the money and time I spent on my guns, my tools, my ammo, my range time.. made me happy.

My thought exactly. I love my Prodigy and I try to talk up the brand whenever I can because God knows enough people have dumped on it. I don’t care if it has a 40lb trigger. Here’s what I do know, my SAO 226 Legion RXP, which I feel is a gift from the Gods, has been getting a lot less range time since I got my Prodigy.

I found this thread interesting, do to so many views express. Since I don’t own a trigger gauge all I can say is my Prodigy trigger feels pretty darn good to me.
These days its nice to see several people have a discussion and not get into a war over different peoples viewpoints.
Must be why I’m getting to feel at home here.

Agreed, good point. I can 100% say after Skips Gunz did the work on my prodigy it is butter smooth zero disconnect dragging issues and a trigger pull of 3.5 pounds. It’s smoother and flatter shooting than my C2.

I wasn’t sure how I’d like mine, I feel I shot my Legion X5 pretty darn well at the range and outdoors.
But the more trigger time I get with my prodigy…it really does shine. I do have a little drag on the disconnector.
One day, I may just get an EGW ignition kit just because. But for now, I’ll spend the money towards ammo and keep running it. It is very, very smooth and solid.

I really like the Bul Armory… but as said, can’t find them.
In being honest, I wanted to get in at the ground floor with a Prodigy in the 1911 DS world.
My next step…if I decide to get another in the safe, would probably be a Stacatto P w/ Optic Cut.

Back