testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

because it fits into a large frame pistol (ie. 45acp) and has more powder when needed.................what's not to want! Hog hunting, now that's funny. Those stupid things are smart, so don't let the look of them fool you! I've been lucky ony once to be within pistol range of a hog (within 100 yards) with a 40s&w that took almost a mg full too kill (no fmj on hand).

I specifically mentioned hog hunting because I met a guy at the range a few months ago. I could see that he had some serious skills. We got to talking and it turned out he is a USPSA Master. Also, he hunts hogs with a Glock 10mm. He said he'd try a variety of calibers and cartridges and the 10mm with Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator (or Defender, can't remember specifically which) rounds was the only combo he'd found that would reliably put them down with one shot. He said the hogs he hunts range up to about 350 pounds.

I specifically mentioned hog hunting because I met a guy at the range a few months ago. I could see that he had some serious skills. We got to talking and it turned out he is a USPSA Master. Also, he hunts hogs with a Glock 10mm. He said he'd try a variety of calibers and cartridges and the 10mm with Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator (or Defender, can't remember specifically which) rounds was the only combo he'd found that would reliably put them down with one shot. He said the hogs he hunts range up to about 350 pounds.
I know @KillerFord1977 has killed one with a .45 1911. I think it was his Mil-Spec.

It would take solids and hardcast for a distance shot for sure. I never had or was able to get them to stand perfect for a good shot. If I had my 50ae at the time it would've been a different story. I do have several hogs at my place and 1 lives next door.

I know @KillerFord1977 has killed one with a .45 1911. I think it was his Mil-Spec.

I don't doubt that that is possible. The point that the guy I met was making to me was that his 10mm (6" barrel) Glock shooting those XP or XD rounds was the only combo to RELIABLY drop them in one shot. I.e. where they stood. Consistently. Not just one time, with one hog and one perfect shot placement.

You do have more than 1 knuckle per hand, so it's still obtainable by using the other hand! Just thinking outside the box Simon ;) . Ask @KillerFord1977 and get his perspective on how he does it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I do it quite easily 😁

1675385724561.gif

I don't doubt that that is possible. The point that the guy I met was making to me was that his 10mm (6" barrel) Glock shooting those XP or XD rounds was the only combo to RELIABLY drop them in one shot. I.e. where they stood. Consistently. Not just one time, with one hog and one perfect shot placement.
Killed 3 with a SA 1911 Mil-Spec
Reliable
Its for when we stumble across them close in on the 4 wheeler. Quick shots. Normally use a MSR or Shotgun w Slugs if time permits a shot

RLB… this may sound like me being a smart ass…it’s not, promise.
Let me know how slick and smooth that action is with a few hundred rounds down range when it gets dirtied up, if you don’t mind. Curious how it runs….
Just a follow up on your request. I took the Prodigy out to the range today and put 220 error free rounds through it. Got it pretty dirty and not a hint of a problem. That makes a total of 420 perfect rounds so far for me.
Still slick a snot although on occasion I can still slightly feel the disconnector when it first contacts the slide. I don't know if that's just normal for the he Prodigy or what but it doesn't seem to affect anything.
I ran a variety of ammunition from 147 grain NATO to 124 grain Blazer brass to 115 grain Blazer brass. It handled it all. One thing I did notice was that occasionally with the 115 grain I would get a weak ejection, but only once in awhile so I'm going to chalk that up to ammunition. Other than that all was perfect.
The Prodigy is pretty accurate and also pretty consistent. These were shot at about 10 yards.

Attachments

• 20230204_120004.jpg
    20230204_120004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
Just a follow up on your request. I took the Prodigy out to the range today and put 220 error free rounds through it. Got it pretty dirty and not a hint of a problem. That makes a total of 420 perfect rounds so far for me.
Still slick a snot although on occasion I can still slightly feel the disconnector when it first contacts the slide. I don't know if that's just normal for the he Prodigy or what but it doesn't seem to affect anything.
I ran a variety of ammunition from 147 grain NATO to 124 grain Blazer brass to 115 grain Blazer brass. It handled it all. One thing I did notice was that occasionally with the 115 grain I would get a weak ejection, but only once in awhile so I'm going to chalk that up to ammunition. Other than that all was perfect.
The Prodigy is pretty accurate and also pretty consistent. These were shot at about 10 yards
glad to hear its performing for you and that your enjoying it. good looking groups.

Yes by about 500-600. Like I said before, I just wanted to try something different. I am sure I will get some flak for putting money into it, but oh well...lol.
Good morning. I joined this forum to specifically talk to you, lol. I have a prodigy that I bought an RMR to use on it. I also bought the plate so it will fit. My issues is the screws that come with the RMR are too long. Would you mind telling me where you found yours? Also, did you have a an issue fitting the adaptor plate on your pistol. Mine is too long and Im trying to decide whether I want to send it back or break out the file.

Good morning. I joined this forum to specifically talk to you, lol. I have a prodigy that I bought an RMR to use on it. I also bought the plate so it will fit. My issues is the screws that come with the RMR are too long. Would you mind telling me where you found yours? Also, did you have a an issue fitting the adaptor plate on your pistol. Mine is too long and Im trying to decide whether I want to send it back or break out the file.
Quite a few people found the RMR a bit tight. I believe someone actually took a file to it, but most found a bit of pressure works.

As for screws, you’ll need to get in touch with you red dot manufacturer. They’re all pretty good about providing different length screws. Your other option, if you’re comfortable with it, cutting or filing them down. A screw cutter (one of those wire cutting tools with the holes for screws) works, as does a Dremel. With a dremel, if you fit a nut on leaving only the portion you want to take off exposed and cut to the nut you should be able to avoid a burr on the screw.

The adapter plate is just really tight. As it should be, I had to tap my plate in with a rubber mallet. It went in just fine. You can file it down a little bit if need be.

I found the screw and the local Fastenal bolt and screw place and Ace Hardware. Also you can file them down. I opted not to and just went and bought new bolts. The bolts are thread pattern 6x24 and should be no longer than .389”. Take the plate and rmr to the bolt place with you, thread the bolt though the rmr and plate and make sure it isn’t sticking out the bottom. If the bolt is just barely recessed in the plate you’re good to go. You don’t want it too long or the bolts will touch the adapter plate and push the rmr up. Torque to 12-15 INCH POUNDS and use blu loctite!! Not foot pounds…lol shoot me a pm if you need any help or pics.

First post here...

I finally got around to shooting my 5" prodigy that I bought back in September 4XXX serial number. Kids... I was also waiting on the RMR AOS plate to come in.

I had a strange issue that I haven't seen other people have. When I went to mount my RMR the factory sight plate wouldn't budge. I removed the screws and it was stuck to the slide. I'm guessing the cerakote finish hadn't fully cured? Anyways I sent the slide back to SA and they took care of it. Refinished the slide and sent it back. Took about 3 weeks or so total.

So I finally took it to the range today and it ran flawlessly. I shot Winchester white box, federal AE, AAC, and some mish mash I had laying around. About 200 or so rounds total.

I was a bit concerned about reliability, but I'm not now. Great running gun. As others have mentioned I wouldn't mind the trigger being a couple pounds lighter, but it sounds like that may lighten up over time.

Back