testtest

Restraining Device

I understand everybody's thoughts and opinions on handcuffs. All made valid points. We have to worry about surviving the encounter and then the Justice system after that. However I think handcuffing a person after he was using or attempting to use Deadly force against me would be the least of my worries. Once I draw my weapon or use it I am liable. The lawyers are going to come at me regardless. I retired from a large municipality Police Dept and I don’t know any cop getting his butt handed to him that wouldn’t appreciate help from a law abiding citizen. In my time I could care less if that citizen had a pair of his own cuffs. I would simply take his off and put mine on. I have been retired over 15 years and I still take training and keep abreast with my States Firearm laws. I imagine if it is legal in your State it would be a personal choice. I also believe it depends on the situation. How long is a Perp going to lay on the ground not cuffed? Do you have the energy to fight for your life again once he rested. How long will it take for the Calvary to show up? There are a lot of things to consider besides what happen next in the Justice system.

Attachments

• 4C5FB1CF-A522-4BD5-AC7A-CC81B5C6DCA3.jpeg
    4C5FB1CF-A522-4BD5-AC7A-CC81B5C6DCA3.jpeg
    924 KB · Views: 63
I agree with strong zip ties but fail to see a rational reason for handcuffs.

Besides zip ties are like duck tape you will always need them for something

Even if you get attacked by a Zombies, you only shoot them in the head.

I understand everybody's thoughts and opinions on handcuffs. All made valid points. We have to worry about surviving the encounter and then the Justice system after that. However I think handcuffing a person after he was using or attempting to use Deadly force against me would be the least of my worries. Once I draw my weapon or use it I am liable. The lawyers are going to come at me regardless. I retired from a large municipality Police Dept and I don’t know any cop getting his butt handed to him that wouldn’t appreciate help from a law abiding citizen. In my time I could care less if that citizen had a pair of his own cuffs. I would simply take his off and put mine on. I have been retired over 15 years and I still take training and keep abreast with my States Firearm laws. I imagine if it is legal in your State it would be a personal choice. I also believe it depends on the situation. How long is a Perp going to lay on the ground not cuffed? Do you have the energy to fight for your life again once he rested. How long will it take for the Calvary to show up? There are a lot of things to consider besides what happen next in the Justice system.
I guess my question is if you've already made up your mind to carry handcuffs why are you asking our opinion?

Situations matter. You just added assisting an officer getting a suspect in Custody to the scenario.

That is a whole different situation than what the original poster implied. That was carrying handcuffs to use when encounter is over between normal Joe citizen and a bad guy

I respect and think I understand what you're saying.

I worked in the mental health field for many years. Restraining a person sometimes works, sometimes it escalates a situation. Just like putting someone in choke hold or arm bar (when not applied properly) can open up a can of worms.

There's a reason why there's procedures in place for monitoring someone placed in restraints(Law Enforcement and Mental Health). In the heat of battle, things get missed especially when you're involved It's easy to lose track of time and to not put on restraints properly and so forth and the restrained person suffering permanent damage or death. It's really a liability I don't want to deal with personally.

I think in self-defense situations it's sometimes easy to over-prepare. I try to keep things simple so my Marine brain doesn't get overloaded...:)

Nothing to do with handcuffs, but I’m sure these Officer appreciated the assist.
You keep moving the goalposts here…

Fact is, it makes precisely zero sense for anyone outside LE to have handcuffs as part of their EDC, and several reasons why it’s a very, very bad idea (you do NOT want to get painted as a wannabe cop in the event of a use of force event).

As far as having cuffs as carry in the exceedingly rare even t of having to aid an officer…

I do not need, nor want a chandelier o’ gear around my waist.
Money clip, credit card case, keys, olight aaa light, Microtech left hand accessible, Cricket right hand accessible, comb, firearm, spare ammunition, cell phone. That's more than enough for me to wear on my waste or in pockets.no desire to add more but sometimes I add Gerber multipliers.

In the event that I would need to restrain... as unlikely as that is. I would resort to that which is expedient, belt, boot laces, tie, extension cord... you get the idea. Whatever is handy. Having the items on your person seems to paint you as a nut from the outset. Then there's the whole "premeditated" thing which there is seemingly no defense from if you have produced a restraint that no normal, rational person would be equipped with. Just my opinion

In the event that I would need to restrain... as unlikely as that is. I would resort to that which is expedient, belt, boot laces, tie, extension cord... you get the idea. Whatever is handy. Having the items on your person seems to paint you as a nut from the outset. Then there's the whole "premeditated" thing which there is seemingly no defense from if you have produced a restraint that no normal, rational person would be equipped with. Just my opinion
The thing is…in what vaguely realistic situation are you going to restrain?

It’s just not there. You’re not a cop, and “citizens arrest” is a pretty iffy proposition…

Back