• Maybe

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • There's a better choice

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Is the 1908 vintage .380 ACP cartridge still a good choice for personal protection or has it reached its expiration date?

Is the .380 Auto Obsolete?

380-Obsolete-1-840.jpg

IMO....

#1 - the existing & new "real" single-stack micro 9mm's (Kahr & new Savage) make the .380 obsolete.

#2 - the new .30 Super adds to #1 with the ability to have extra mag capacity over the .380 in a single-stack.

Imo. Nope, sorry folks its not going anywhere. Much to your dismay the .30 Super is just not going to gain enough traction to obsolete the. 380. The options disparity and popularity of the .380 is too strong.

I have yet to meet a single. 30 super user. Where I have seen 3 different people recently buy new .380s, and that does not include at least two in this forum.

Both Beretta and Sig came out with new .380s, not .30 Supers, one happens to be one of the most popular carry pistols extant, sounds alive and kicking to me.

I think both Beretta and Sig have pretty decent research teams, with a pretty fair idea of the market.

Last edited:
I think it’s amusing that it’s considered acceptable in summer, and not winter.

Do people really think that a winter jacket is going to slow down the bullet that much? If anything, it’s going to increase penetration in a hollow point due to a plugged nose…moot for me, since all my .380’s use FN-FMJ.

And, no, it’s no more obsolete than the calibers that came out at the same time frame…9mm and .45acp.

What will you go to if you can’t handle a 9mm due to physical limitations?

Don’t think it can’t, or won’t, happen to you…
Good advice, Mr. Gruber!

In my worst-case scenario, I do not envision a protracted gun-battle. I've read that self-defense scenarios are usually over in roughly 6 or so shots. In this case, I wouldn't worry about fatigue.

To your point, I am not a youngster anymore and now find it painful to shoot 200 9mm at the range. My time is coming!

Thanks for your comment! It is taken to heart!

G

Good advice, Mr. Gruber!

In my worst-case scenario, I do not envision a protracted gun-battle. I've read that self-defense scenarios are usually over in roughly 6 or so shots. In this case, I wouldn't worry about fatigue.

To your point, I am not a youngster anymore and now find it painful to shoot 200 9mm at the range. My time is coming!

Thanks for your comment! It is taken to heart!

G

Don’t forget—despite only a few rounds being typical…you still need to be able to perform failure drills…and some of those can also be affected by hand/grip strength.

It’s not just about recoil.;)

I think it’s amusing that it’s considered acceptable in summer, and not winter.

Do people really think that a winter jacket is going to slow down the bullet that much? If anything, it’s going to increase penetration in a hollow point due to a plugged nose…moot for me, since all my .380’s use FN-FMJ.

And, no, it’s no more obsolete than the calibers that came out at the same time frame…9mm and .45acp.
Agreed, my uncle lives in mobile home, not the sturdist of homes to be sure but. His neighbor had an AD with his .380 with a FMJ of some type. Went thru his wall, both of my uncles right over his sleeping body and thru a 4th wall into another neighbors house. I am comfortable carrying mine all seasons. It rides in my leather jacket pocket all winter loaded with Buffalo Bore solids.

20221108_124102.jpg

I prefer my Browning black label 1911 .380 over all the micro 9mm all day everday. Hate a micro 9mm. All of them. Shot 9 brands at a range rental. My disdain is right there with Turkish pistols. I’m a Sig fanboy and even hated that one
No thanks
I'm a Sig fanboy too! My only non-Sig pistol is a Ruger GP100.

As noted in my response to HansGruber:

My carry gun will most likely be larger than a micro. To your point, I would not want to fire more that 6 rounds with a 9mm micro,

G

Agreed, my uncle lives in mobile home, not the sturdist of homes to be sure but. His neighbor had an AD with his .380 with a FMJ of some type. Went thru his wall, both of my uncles right over his sleeping body and thru a 4th wall into another neighbors house. I am comfortable carrying mine all seasons. It rides in my leather jacket pocket all winter loaded with Buffalo Bore solids.

View attachment 38442
So much for mobile homes!

What will you go to if you can’t handle a 9mm due to physical limitations?

Don’t think it can’t, or won’t, happen to you…
I used to be a huge big bore fanboy, enter arthritis in my thumbs and had to completely rethink my handguns per my shooting partners advice, also my Dr. He said my thumbs were not too bad yet, but they would continue to get worse, and heavy recoil would just make it faster. He recommended 380s tops, but I just still have to have my 357/38s especially for handgun hunting at the very least. But really the 60 is now my all around favorite.

Last edited:
Back