testtest

“Displaying” a firearm

Thanks for all the input, guys.

I don’t open carry except maybe while in the woods like some of you. Despite all the negatives, though, I can see one advantage to open carry — anyone planning an attack would know they might be shot, and the carrier could not be charged with misdemeanor brandishing or felony assault as long as his gun stayed in the holster. There seems to be a lot of gray area with the brandishing issue!

Thanks for all the input, guys.

I don’t open carry except maybe while in the woods like some of you. Despite all the negatives, though, I can see one advantage to open carry — anyone planning an attack would know they might be shot, and the carrier could not be charged with misdemeanor brandishing or felony assault as long as his gun stayed in the holster. There seems to be a lot of gray area with the brandishing issue!

The sad thing is that is open carrying is not the great deterrent folks think it is. Simply having it on your side alone will not ward off evil. Real criminals don’t care and don’t think like we do!

But everyone can carry however they want.

I was always under the assumption that if you carried open, it was to (1) to show off that you have a gun (2) Your actually looking for trouble, just my thoughts

I delt with inner city gang bangers for 20 years. Many BGd,s VL LK’s AB Surieno Nortieno BB TS MM TMM DC Blacks Dirty South etc on the Federal level. they all laughed about areas where folks open carried and that was their gun store. It’s been well documented guns stolen when the carrier is pre occupied.

And sadly most folks have zero clue how fast that can happen and how little weapons retention skills an average gun person has. Also unlike the Theory bad guys don’t verbalize what they intend or when they intend it!!!

I delt with inner city gang bangers for 20 years. Many BGd,s VL LK’s AB Surieno Nortieno BB TS MM TMM DC Blacks Dirty South etc on the Federal level. they all laughed about areas where folks open carried and that was their gun store. It’s been well documented guns stolen when the carrier is pre occupied.

And sadly most folks have zero clue how fast that can happen and how little weapons retention skills an average gun person has. Also unlike the Theory bad guys don’t verbalize what they intend or when they intend it!!!
Good buddy of mine is a former LEO.
While hunting, he said to me that at some point he will snatch my OWB pistol during the hunt to show how fast an open carry person can be disarmed.

I knew he would try it. About 2 hrs into the hog hunt, while I was glassing the fields with the thermal, he snatched it from my Safari land holster and with his other hand took the thermal as well. Blink… gone !!!!

And I knew he would do it and was always watching …
Point is, it only takes a fraction of a second if you are armed to be disarmed.

I don't open carry and I don't show my hand unless I'm fixing to shoot something. I don't think pulling a gun in a situation where you would be justified in shooting someone, but you don't should be a crime though. It's just that it's not something I would do. According to John Lott millions of crimes are deterred every year by merely showing a weapon.

It's a tricky situation for sure. I mean you really, REALLY don't "Want" to shoot someone if you can avoid it. But most of us won't pull a gun unless we have already decided to use it.

Scenario. You're walking to your car after a baseball game downtown with your 12 year old daughter. A guy armed with a big knife pops up in front of you and demands your money. You draw your weapon and are trained on him in 1.4 seconds flat. He puts his knife away, raises his hands and starts backing off. You gonna shoot him ? See, there could be exceptions, but generally speaking by the time you decide to draw your weapon you should have already decided to discharge it.

H
I don't open carry and I don't show my hand unless I'm fixing to shoot something. I don't think pulling a gun in a situation where you would be justified in shooting someone, but you don't should be a crime though. It's just that it's not something I would do. According to John Lott millions of crimes are deterred every year by merely showing a weapon.

It's a tricky situation for sure. I mean you really, REALLY don't "Want" to shoot someone if you can avoid it. But most of us won't pull a gun unless we have already decided to use it.

Scenario. You're walking to your car after a baseball game downtown with your 12 year old daughter. A guy armed with a big knife pops up in front of you and demands your money. You draw your weapon and are trained on him in 1.4 seconds flat. He puts his knife away, raises his hands and starts backing off. You gonna shoot him ? See, there could be exceptions, but generally speaking by the time you decide to draw your weapon you should have already decided to discharge it.
He brought a knife to a gunfight...

In Florida momentary uncovering is not a violation provided it is not done in an angry, threatening manner. If my gun becomes visible say in a gust of wind, or when I get out of my truck, or getting up from a restaurant booth (which is getting harder and harder), for example, it is not a violation of anything. Your state may vary
I live in Florida too, Constitutional Carry goes hot on July 1st last I heard. No open carry, but I think the Florida super majority will give it a try next go round. I'm maintaining my CWP for the benefits it provides. The law in Florida does allow for "momentary" exposure of a concealed weapon in a non threatening manner. All said, with the number of nut jobs we have down here it's gonna be an interesting summer.

By display I am assuming you are referring to what is generally termed brandishing in some areas regarding firearms.

There are several definitions of brandishing. The Webster definition is to wave an object around. The generally used definition described in Cornells law edu. refers to showing all or part of a weapon with intent to intimidate a person.

In Michigan brandishing a weapon is generally using the second definition. It is considered a misdemeanor and can be punished with jail time.

Obviously there is a degree of interpretation of intent in this.
Same thing in my state. Went to a seminar by US Law Shield and this topic came up. They used the example of a big guy and small guy arguing in parking lot. It escalates to the point where the larger guy starts coming towards the small guy threatening to whoop his butt. Smaller guy is carrying and just lifts his shirt to show the larger guy he is carry as a deterent and it stops the agressor. The big guy calls the cops and the small guy is arrested for brandishing...

Same thing in my state. Went to a seminar by US Law Shield and this topic came up. They used the example of a big guy and small guy arguing in parking lot. It escalates to the point where the larger guy starts coming towards the small guy threatening to whoop his butt. Smaller guy is carrying and just lifts his shirt to show the larger guy he is carry as a deterent and it stops the agressor. The big guy calls the cops and the small guy is arrested for brandishing...

1 why you should be the first one to call the police
2 that is a perfect example why you should go to OC spray as plan A!

Back