testtest

Ayoob: Springfield Echelon Review

Great review, all spot on. I purchased my Echelon back in Sept. 2023 and have been very pleased with my purchase, it is now my fourth Springfield pistol, and holds true to Springfields quality and desire to produce top of the line firearms. Another great piece for Springfield.
Upon receiving my Echelon I checked the trigger pull with the Lyman Digital trigger pull gauge. 5 pulls averaged 5.8lbs. A few forum members told me their Echelons ran from 4.5-5.5 lbs. After installing the Powder River trigger kit 4.2lbs is the average. Initial take-up is almost no movement at all, over travel around 1/16". The reset was about the same as the stock trigger.

i like how he states in many pistol reviews to leave trigger pull close to stock. His reasoning is if you get caught up on a court case, your pistol is not seen as modified to shoot easier. he mentions to use the first joint on the booger pick to gain more leverage and trigger control ( i greatly paraphrased )

i like how he states in many pistol reviews to leave trigger pull close to stock. His reasoning is if you get caught up on a court case, your pistol is not seen as modified to shoot easier. he mentions to use the first joint on the booger pick to gain more leverage and trigger control ( i greatly paraphrased )
I've heard a fair amount of chatter about defending against a non-intentonial discharge. In a real life deadly encounter your firing was very much intentional & the light trigger pull had no bearing whatsoever. My trigger pull of 4.2lbs is not what I would consider as "hair triggered". I'm not a lawyer, can't give you legal advice. I know its often said that it's better to be tried by 12 VS carried by 6.

I've heard a fair amount of chatter about defending against a non-intentonial discharge. In a real life deadly encounter your firing was very much intentional & the light trigger pull had no bearing whatsoever. My trigger pull of 4.2lbs is not what I would consider as "hair triggered". I'm not a lawyer, can't give you legal advice. I know its often said that it's better to be tried by 12 VS carried by 6.
Arthritis in finger joints makes a lighter trigger pull necessary as one has issue pulling the stock trigger , thus the modifications. 😉😉

Arthritis in finger joints makes a lighter trigger pull necessary as one has issue pulling the stock trigger , thus the modifications. 😉😉
That is an EXCELLENT point I hadn't thought of, nor ever heard anyone, anywhere, discuss, not even Booya Sam. I would advise getting some documentation to that effect from a doctor, and filing it away in case you ever need it, so you can't be accused of pulling that rationalization out of your ass after the fact. If you're "on record" with it BEFOREHAND, you take the whole issue off the table. (Booya Sam has taught me how to THINK about this whole subject) Great post! ;)

No writer, gun expert or citizen has ever provided proof that an armed citizen lost a court case due to a legal modification of a gun. Ever.
I'll stipulate that your premise is true, just for the sake of argument. We live in a time where people get accused of and convicted of things every day that they've never had any trouble with before. I have no desire to be the very first one, EVER, ANYWHERE, to lose a court case on such an issue, correctly or not. I'd prefer to just take the damn issue off the table to start with.

First thing I did when I got home from LFI-1 in 1988 was take the light mainspring out of my "house" 1911 and put in a heavier one. This brought my trigger pull up from just under four pounds to just under five. I figger in the "heat of battle," I'll never notice the extra pound. ;)

I told you Booya Sam taught me HOW to think about this stuff. ;)

No writer, gun expert or citizen has ever provided proof that an armed citizen lost a court case due to a legal modification of a gun. Ever.

Triggers are legal to modify with a lighter pull.
In fact they are safer as they make you more likely to hit your target.

Also all the writers are parroting other writers and the ones they are parroting work or get paid to promote carry insurance outfits like USCCA.

Feel free to show me one example. And feel free to give your money to whatever scheister lawyers you want to . It's a free country.
One example of what? With all due respect, Bob, you're the one making assertions and allegations of various sorts. I'm just sitting here with my popcorn. Or feel free to give the name(s) of the source(s) of your legal advice. Maybe you've gotten better legal advice than I have. I'm willing to listen. ;)

While I can understand where Ayoob is coming from and respect his experience. I do think you could justify a modified trigger. You are responsible for every round fired and the placement of those rounds, thus a modified trigger was installed to improve accuracy. I would like to think this is a pretty reasonable defense. Granted I am not a lawyer hell bent on prosecuting someone for protecting themself.

Although if you were to be involved in a shooting, and your defense was “the gun just went off” then I could see a modified trigger being a liability. That seems like a poor defense in general.

Although personally, running stock triggers on my EDC and HD guns. This is why the xdm with 3lb PRP trigger now sits in the safe and comes out for range days :). Hopefully soon for some competition shootings if I ever get more free time. Currently choose to spend my free time with my kiddos Cept for a range day once a month and hunting season of course.

Having an attorney or the defendant testifying the gun just went off rates pretty high as extremely stupid. I have been carrying a handgun for most of my adult life and have never seen or heard of one going off by its self. Dropping one or bumping into something could possibly cause an accidental discharge. Holding a handgun pointing at someone saying it went off by its self might well send you to prison. PacNwvike I guess have to say just about anything is possible, but in this case not probable.

Having an attorney or the defendant testifying the gun just went off rates pretty high as extremely stupid. I have been carrying a handgun for most of my adult life and have never seen or heard of one going off by its self. Dropping one or bumping into something could possibly cause an accidental discharge. Holding a handgun pointing at someone saying it went off by its self might well send you to prison. PacNwvike I guess have to say just about anything is possible, but in this case not probable.
As others have said a lighter trigger pull enhances accuracy. Old hands like mine get a little stiff (arthritis ) and the lighter pull helps. Keeping your finger off the trigger is the best safety for not firing before identifying a real threat to you or others.

I need to figure out the sarcasm/joking font lol. But there was that one recently, I want to say Nashville. Guy shot girlfriend, and yes used the “gun just went off” defense. Although pretty sure criminally convicted. I agree it’s not a bad defense. Unless it’s a p320 apparently lol.

Back