testtest

Top 5 Tips for First-Time Gun Buyers

Good article and good timing with all the new gun buyers out there, thanks Mike
Thanks! I have some more pieces in the works along these same lines (gun handling, etc.) for all the new buyers out there. Please feel free to share with anyone you all know that might be getting into buying their first gun. And keep an eye out for those other pieces as well!

I’ve been asked recently, several times, by casual friends who know I’m a “gun guy” about defensive guns.

My response is: let’s go to the range, and go from there...

Had precisely 2 takers on the offer.

Of those two?

One bought a 870 and a Ruger Security 9...and has yet, afaik, shot them...despite multiple offers on YT's end to hit the range.

The other?

Has asked for more range time—please bring more black rifles, explain why I like my AUG over an AR, why I like revolvers for carry, semi-auto vs pump for a HD shotgun...we've had 4 sessions at the range so far, she's bought a VP9sk, a Benelli Nova Tactical (but wants a M2 or M4), and is trying to decide if she wants a 5.56 or .300 for her first AR...she's one of us.

I’ve been asked recently, several times, by casual friends who know I’m a “gun guy” about defensive guns.

My response is: let’s go to the range, and go from there...

Had precisely 2 takers on the offer.

Of those two?

One bought a 870 and a Ruger Security 9...and has yet, afaik, shot them...despite multiple offers on YT's end to hit the range.

The other?

Has asked for more range time—please bring more black rifles, explain why I like my AUG over an AR, why I like revolvers for carry, semi-auto vs pump for a HD shotgun...we've had 4 sessions at the range so far, she's bought a VP9sk, a Benelli Nova Tactical (but wants a M2 or M4), and is trying to decide if she wants a 5.56 or .300 for her first AR...she's one of us.
Good work,America needs more informed and armed citizens.

One thing I can say to you is everyone had zero experience when they shot there first time! But we all learn to make the right moves or we give up but most make it!

True...but sometimes learning the right moves ends up hurting themselves or others...the learning curve can be very steep.

I don’t think it should be required to get proper training in order to buy a firearm, that whole 2nd Amendment thing and all (;)), but I do think it would be better if people did remember that rights come with responsibilities, and got training by choice.

Oh—of the two people mentioned above, the first finally went to the range, and actually didn’t do too badly; unfortunately, his 870 has extraction/ejection issues, so he’s trying to get that dealt with...told him to just bring it to a gunsmith and get it fixed, but he’s trying to get Remington to fix it...good luck with that.

The second lives not far from where the rioting started in Minneapolis. She did fine,nothing happened in her neighborhood (besides a bunch of teens in pickups with Wisconsin plates driving through the streets, that were confronted by armed neighbors and left in a hurry—she described them as farmboy jocks looking for trouble, and they nearly got it). She went her own way and picked up an AK variant as her rifle of choice, and seems pretty confident...

Last edited:
Back