testtest

9mm — Is it great or does it suck?

I've been reading gun mags since I was a kid and forums more these days, and I remember when the 9mm was absolute "garbage" and worthless. If you didn't have a .45 you didn't have nuthin'... Then the .40 appeared and "fixed" everything. Now, the 9mm is back on top. The .40 is a waste, the .45 is too big and slow, and the 9mm is the greatest thing in the world. Now I know the "experts" are saying the 9 is fine now, but is it really? Has there really been any testing of new 9mm ammo to support this notion that the 9 is fine now? What do you all think?
The 9mm is my caliber of choice for carrying EDC I carry the Springfield Hell Cat and the ammo of choice is the Speer 124 Grain Gold Dot Hollow Point +P and a carry 4 spare 13 round mags the firepower is a plus over the 8 round XDE 45 I did carry with 4 7 round mags .and the velocity and penetration of the 9mm outperform the .45 ACP in the urban environment where you might have to shoot through cover like a car door most of the time 45 ACP will not penetrate a car door proven in a junkyard the 9mm would go through both car doors and the 45 ACP would make a dent or go thru only part of the door. I carried both the .45 & 9mm in combat as an Infantryman in two conflicts and had to defend my self with both calibers and both did the job the enemy combatant was DRT Dead Right There.🔫🇺🇸💯

I think its a solid round, but shot placement is key (as is picking a good laoding and making sure it shoots well in your gun). Heck, the right shooter with a .22 can be deadly.....
A shot from a .22 LR to the right place like the brain or heart, for the most part, is fatal in most cases. I would not want to be shot at or shot by a .22 LR. Most who argue one caliber over the other never had to shoot someone in self-defense. If all I had was a .22LR its better than a nothing!🔫🇺🇸💯%

I don't have a science lab or high dollar electronics. Quickload was to erratic too show results even from published data for comparison. I know so I don't have to believe, so you keep on believing that you know! The 3rd law doesn't account for pressure difference. The force is different because of the pressure (gas volume) being a changed value. 3rd law is not exact only a guide. He's out dated by the way. Try Newton's 2nd law since you want too go there.

It just clicked where the disconnect is here.

I’m not talking about using the same powder charge in each case...of course case volume will change things.

I’m talking about having an identical velocity, with an identical bullet.

The recoil will be the same.

If I download a .44 mag to .44 special velocity (say, 200gr @ 1000fps) and randomly load both in the cylinder...you won't be able to tell which is which on the shooter's end.

The 9mm is my caliber of choice for carrying EDC I carry the Springfield Hell Cat and the ammo of choice is the Speer 124 Grain Gold Dot Hollow Point +P and a carry 4 spare 13 round mags the firepower is a plus over the 8 round XDE 45 I did carry with 4 7 round mags .and the velocity and penetration of the 9mm outperform the .45 ACP in the urban environment where you might have to shoot through cover like a car door most of the time 45 ACP will not penetrate a car door proven in a junkyard the 9mm would go through both car doors and the 45 ACP would make a dent or go thru only part of the door. I carried both the .45 & 9mm in combat as an Infantryman in two conflicts and had to defend my self with both calibers and both did the job the enemy combatant was DRT Dead Right There.🔫🇺🇸💯
Ground-pounder, HOOAH!

Plenty of people who clearly don't spend enough time with their rifles wound deer with a 30-06 or a 30-30 leaving it running around to suffer and either slowly bleed to death or get eaten by coyotes. On the other hand my cousin never misses with his .223.
It's all about shot placement into a vital .head shots with a .22Lr from a 10/22 Carbine Rifle at 50 & 60 yards on Feral Hogs are no problem the Pigs are DRT DEAD RIGHT THERE. A 9 mm 115 grain ball round hit center mass will strike the heart and spine and exit the human torso not to mention the stretch wound cavity as the round passes other vitals like Lungs Arteries. The 9mm is a deadly round anyway you spell it.

I listened to a GunTalk podcast recently where a LEO shot a guy 14 times with a .45 ACP before he was stopped. I think the officer fired over 100 rounds total during the encounter.

I listened to a GunTalk podcast recently where a LEO shot a guy 14 times with a .45 ACP before he was stopped. I think the officer fired over 100 rounds total during the encounter.
Must have been on CNN! Everybody knows that .45ACP stops them in their tracks, no matter where you hit them.;)

I used to have a sp101 38 . it is a great protection round and I like it better than most other calibers. People say more rounds of 9mm is better than less rounds of bigger caliber but I disagree but wouldnt argue about it unless it was a fun bar room arguement. I would also tell you everything wrong in the world and inbetween beers how I alone possess the knowledge to fix it. The more I drink the smarter I get. all kidding aside the type of gun and caliber is something you are betting your life on so listen to what everyone says but then make your own choise. I like revolvers ,bolt action , shotguns lever action and waiting for my M1A. Where I live in NY the cops will be here very quickly so any gun I would use is great. I vote 38

unless you are isolated and live in rural area any gun shots will bring lots of police. There are cameras on every other house where I live. The police can go house to house, store front to store front for video tape. The crooks know this. Big problem is that NYC is arresting crooks and letting them go on bail and they commit more crime. I live a few blocks outside nyc and they are tough on crime still. even if you live in a town with 10k people gun shots will send crooks running. I have heard a gun shot go off in a garage and it is unbelievable loud. carry what you know best , for me it is long guns or 38. I was reading about derrengers for when you arent in your house. walking down the street and someone makes you nervios. cant pull a gun out in case you are wrong but your hand on a derrenger in your pocket ready to rock is comforting. you didnt scare anyone if you were wrong because they saw nothing but you were protected and had the element of suprise over crook if something did happen, look up bond derrengers. people laugh at derrengers but the element of suprise with a 357 or 45 is something else and no one will know you have one. crooks always relay on suprise and they will be shocked at a derrenger

unless you are isolated and live in rural area any gun shots will bring lots of police. There are cameras on every other house where I live. The police can go house to house, store front to store front for video tape. The crooks know this. Big problem is that NYC is arresting crooks and letting them go on bail and they commit more crime. I live a few blocks outside nyc and they are tough on crime still. even if you live in a town with 10k people gun shots will send crooks running. I have heard a gun shot go off in a garage and it is unbelievable loud. carry what you know best , for me it is long guns or 38. I was reading about derrengers for when you arent in your house. walking down the street and someone makes you nervios. cant pull a gun out in case you are wrong but your hand on a derrenger in your pocket ready to rock is comforting. you didnt scare anyone if you were wrong because they saw nothing but you were protected and had the element of suprise over crook if something did happen, look up bond derrengers. people laugh at derrengers but the element of suprise with a 357 or 45 is something else and no one will know you have one. crooks always relay on suprise and they will be shocked at a derrenger

So will you, when you shoot one in .357 or .45 Colt.

I’ve tried the Bonds, and even though they are massive heavy, the recoil is pretty wicked.

I can have my hand on a pocketed J-frame in .357, and have a controllable, 5-shot platform that I don’t have to remember to cock before I shoot.

I dont have a bond derrenger but like what I have seen. . sp101 is great. I ad one . very solid. I am saying there are times when you have nothing and that would be great. I am not saying I know more about guns than anyone just talking from my experences

I carry all different calibers. If your shot placement is good the caliber does not matter. My 9mm's go from a Sig P365, H&K P30sk, H&K VP9, Kimber Stainless Target, CZ Phantom, and Kimber Aegis Pro on order. I shot more .40 and .45 when competing (Major as opposed to minor) so I carried them more. You shoot and carry the gun and caliber you are most comfortable with. The gun you can get into action quickest and fire accurately with accurate follow up shots.

I dont have a bond derrenger but like what I have seen. . sp101 is great. I ad one . very solid. I am saying there are times when you have nothing and that would be great. I am not saying I know more about guns than anyone just talking from my experences
Check the price of a Bond Derringer they are as high as a cats back $$$$! Bond is sure proud of their name. But if that's all ya got it's better than nothing. I would rather carry a cheaper higher firepower HI-POINT 9mm than a 2 shot Over priced High Dollar derringer.

Last edited:
I subscribe to the mantra that I have heard from people in the community for whom I have the highest regard:

"Proper placement and proper penetration are all that matter."

YMMV

I subscribe to the mantra that I have heard from people in the community for whom I have the highest regard:

"Proper placement and proper penetration are all that matter."

YMMV

This is very, VERY true. However I’m sure we can all envision a situation where due to immediate circumstances your ability to accurately place a shot becomes compromised. Carrying something more substantial than an LCP or other small caliber handgun is a little extra edge in a situation like that. Provided you shoot your .45 as well as you do a 9mm ( I do. Better in fact since that’s what I’ve always carried and trained with) I see no disadvantage in carrying one.

This is very, VERY true. However I’m sure we can all envision a situation where due to immediate circumstances your ability to accurately place a shot becomes compromised. Carrying something more substantial than an LCP or other small caliber handgun is a little extra edge in a situation like that. Provided you shoot your .45 as well as you do a 9mm ( I do. Better in fact since that’s what I’ve always carried and trained with) I see no disadvantage in carrying one.
Too true. Even seasoned officers, be it State, local or FBI, statistics show in an officer involved shooting, the first round is in the ground 10 feet in front of them as they are bringing the the gun up to pointing on target. There is no use of sights or sight picture with in 15 yards. It's just point and empty the mag or until the threat is no longer a threat.

Back