63.8 KB · Views: 553
  • C1E58E44-B9DF-44AE-96BD-505F4C3F0B0B.jpeg
    C1E58E44-B9DF-44AE-96BD-505F4C3F0B0B.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 459
  • B34CD015-FBC4-4CBA-8EC1-2D0E992AC569.jpeg
    B34CD015-FBC4-4CBA-8EC1-2D0E992AC569.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 491
Around $500 give or take some.

That's healthy, regardless whether it's a budget with a mount or not.

If that budget doesn't include a mount, I'd recommend that you look for a fixed mount (versus quick-detach) so that you can insure quality. Good Q/Ds tend to get a bit spendy, and can eat up a significant amount of your budget.

I guess the easy way to say would be close shooting and plinking.

Plinking makes it easy, but with your budget (mindful of the need for a good mount), you can step-up to quite a few "proven" optics.

If you want to pursue LPVOs, the Vortex Strike-Eagle should easily fit into this budget *with* even a good Q/D mount. Daylight, it'll punch well above its price-point in terms of performance, but if you intend to varmint hunt in low-light, you'll want to spend more and up the glass quality. If you're looking to bump up a bit but still stay within your budget, the Vortex PST Gen2 1-6x have been favorably reviewed since they overcame their initial teething problems - but you may actually be able to save a bunch by looking for a second-hand first-generation PST 1-4x, ditto for the Steiner P4xi, which are both time-proven choices.

RDSs, that budget will easily allow you to get your hands on a Trijicon MRO - which can typically be had with either the factory mount or a number of rather nice aftermarket mounts (even Q/D) for either just inside your budget or only *slightly* over. The same can be said of the Trijicon RMRs.

Alternatively, the Aimpoint PRO can be had new, with factory Q/D mount (which can be problematic, but Aimpoint's excellent warranty service will take care of you and renders this only an inconvenience, if it happens out-of-the-box), for typically $50 south of your budget cap. You can knock this price down even further if you're willing to spend a little time to look for second-hand PROs, which typically trade on the secondary market at the ~$350 price-point (again, with factory mount).

I have both the PRO and the MRO, and both are excellent. The PRO is a time-proven bomb-proof (vetted by none other than Larry Vickers) alternative to the Comp-series sights, and are still a viable choice even in today's market. Meanwhile, the MRO has really reset the field, making it the aspirational product upstream of the Holosun derivatives (more below), while punching far enough above its weight to sway buyers from the Aimpoint T/H-series.

A number of the EOTech holographic sights can also be had within this price-range, and depending on your selection, they can include mounts (you may or may not want a riser to achieve lower-1/3 cowitness).

Various Holosun, Primary Arms, and Sig Sauer-branded RDSs can be had for only a fraction of this budget, and they are more than sufficient for plinking use. My daughter's 15-22 has enjoyed the old PA MD-ADS for close to 4 years, now. And while I'm careful to turn the sight off after range days, it's been on its original battery during this whole time - and we just enjoyed a two-hour long outing with it two Mondays ago. Both me and my buddy each bought one after playing with the one that's mounted on our good friend's 10/22 - and his has resided on his AK for about just as long (and he's taken a couple of classes with that gun, to-boot). If all you are doing is plinking, this option can save you quite a lot of money.

Hope this helps!

Around $500 give or take some.
For not much more OP has a good deal on the MRO Patrol model with a co witness mount. If you decide to go this route.

Tsi is right with the Aimpoints too. They are fantastic. I had a Compm5, that I sold in November after not running it for a while after getting the triji. Lol. The only real gripe I had with it was the battery housing. I prefer the sleekness of the MRO. Not a deal breaker by any means though.
Regardless of what model you go with, try to stay in the 200 range at the least. I learned the hard way over the years with buying 100 dollar optics that, for the most part, you do get what you pay for. Although sometimes people get more lucky than I and get one that’s ridiculously robust despite its price. Happy hunting!!

That's healthy, regardless whether it's a budget with a mount or not.

If that budget doesn't include a mount, I'd recommend that you look for a fixed mount (versus quick-detach) so that you can insure quality. Good Q/Ds tend to get a bit spendy, and can eat up a significant amount of your budget.

Plinking makes it easy, but with your budget (mindful of the need for a good mount), you can step-up to quite a few "proven" optics.

If you want to pursue LPVOs, the Vortex Strike-Eagle should easily fit into this budget *with* even a good Q/D mount. Daylight, it'll punch well above its price-point in terms of performance, but if you intend to varmint hunt in low-light, you'll want to spend more and up the glass quality. If you're looking to bump up a bit but still stay within your budget, the Vortex PST Gen2 1-6x have been favorably reviewed since they overcame their initial teething problems - but you may actually be able to save a bunch by looking for a second-hand first-generation PST 1-4x, ditto for the Steiner P4xi, which are both time-proven choices.

RDSs, that budget will easily allow you to get your hands on a Trijicon MRO - which can typically be had with either the factory mount or a number of rather nice aftermarket mounts (even Q/D) for either just inside your budget or only *slightly* over. The same can be said of the Trijicon RMRs.

Alternatively, the Aimpoint PRO can be had new, with factory Q/D mount (which can be problematic, but Aimpoint's excellent warranty service will take care of you and renders this only an inconvenience, if it happens out-of-the-box), for typically $50 south of your budget cap. You can knock this price down even further if you're willing to spend a little time to look for second-hand PROs, which typically trade on the secondary market at the ~$350 price-point (again, with factory mount).

I have both the PRO and the MRO, and both are excellent. The PRO is a time-proven bomb-proof (vetted by none other than Larry Vickers) alternative to the Comp-series sights, and are still a viable choice even in today's market. Meanwhile, the MRO has really reset the field, making it the aspirational product upstream of the Holosun derivatives (more below), while punching far enough above its weight to sway buyers from the Aimpoint T/H-series.

A number of the EOTech holographic sights can also be had within this price-range, and depending on your selection, they can include mounts (you may or may not want a riser to achieve lower-1/3 cowitness).

Various Holosun, Primary Arms, and Sig Sauer-branded RDSs can be had for only a fraction of this budget, and they are more than sufficient for plinking use. My daughter's 15-22 has enjoyed the old PA MD-ADS for close to 4 years, now. And while I'm careful to turn the sight off after range days, it's been on its original battery during this whole time - and we just enjoyed a two-hour long outing with it two Mondays ago. Both me and my buddy each bought one after playing with the one that's mounted on our good friend's 10/22 - and his has resided on his AK for about just as long (and he's taken a couple of classes with that gun, to-boot). If all you are doing is plinking, this option can save you quite a lot of money.

Hope this helps!
Yes and no. So many but i'm going to look into the PA MD-ADS for now. If I can save a little on this that leaves more funds for other extras. THANKS

For not much more OP has a good deal on the MRO Patrol model with a co witness mount. If you decide to go this route.

Tsi is right with the Aimpoints too. They are fantastic. I had a Compm5, that I sold in November after not running it for a while after getting the triji. Lol. The only real gripe I had with it was the battery housing. I prefer the sleekness of the MRO. Not a deal breaker by any means though.
Regardless of what model you go with, try to stay in the 200 range at the least. I learned the hard way over the years with buying 100 dollar optics that, for the most part, you do get what you pay for. Although sometimes people get more lucky than I and get one that’s ridiculously robust despite its price. Happy hunting!!
THANKS.

Not sure if I want a red dot that looks like a scope or one that is a RMR type. I only get to shoot it 2 too 3 time a year work a lot.
Well thd good thing is that you have options, and time to decide what you prefer. Id look into some review videos on yt. Theres a lot products that knowledgeable guys will give performance reviews on such as mrgunsngear. His vids are pretty good and does a good job describing the products pros and cons, and many are budget friendly.

Back