testtest

Let's see your AR setups...

I was 17 then, probably in 75
1786663806322.gif
 
Yes, as did all of English territories except India. Most of Europe used metric. Africa was a hodgepodge depending on who supplied the rifles

Actually India's Ishapore 1A1 was a inch/metric hybrid.

India used a unique variant of the inch-pattern FAL.

However, it is not a pure "inch-pattern" rifle. Officially designated as the Rifle 7.62mm 1A1 (commonly known as the Ishapore 1A1), India's service rifle is actually an inch/metric hybrid.

The Backstory

In the early 1960s, India wanted to upgrade to a modern service rifle and chose the Belgian FN FAL. They wanted to manufacture it locally at the Ishapore Rifle Factory. However, licensing negotiations with the Belgian company Fabrique Nationale (FN) fell through because India did not want to purchase the expensive, proprietary Belgian tooling.
Instead, Indian engineers took existing samples of the British L1A1 (an inch-pattern rifle) and the original Belgian FAL (a metric-pattern rifle) and reverse-engineered their own blueprint.

The Indian 1A1 is a "mut" by mixing elements of two different designs, the Indian 1A1 is a fascinating mechanical "mut". Most of its parts are not interchangeable with standard British inch or Belgian metric rifles.
  • Inch-Pattern Features:
    • Magazines: It uses standard inch-pattern magazines, featuring the wide front locking lug.
    • Fire Selector: It copied the British Commonwealth style, limiting the infantry rifle to semi-automatic only (Safe and Fire).
    • Charging Handle: It features the folding charging handle typical of Commonwealth L1A1s.
    • Sights: The front sight and gas block follow the Commonwealth layout.
  • Metric-Pattern Features:
    • Bolt Release: It uses the distinct, small plunger-style bolt release from the Belgian metric design.
    • Rear Sight Lock: The rear sight folds flat like an inch-pattern rifle, but uses the metric spring-loaded button for range adjustment.
    • Internal Pins: Several lower internal components (like the trigger and sear holes) match metric dimensions rather than the larger, sleeved inch-pattern dimensions.
    • Unique Indian Features:
      • The Buttstock: The wooden stock utilizes a trapdoor buttplate taken directly from old Lee-Enfield bolt-action rifles to house an oil bottle and cleaning pull-through.
      • Pistol Grip: The grip features a unique, removable front section designed to accommodate a full-hand winter trigger for freezing mountainous terrain.
The Ishapore 1A1 served as the backbone of the Indian military for decades—notably during the 1971 Indo-Pakistani War—with over a million units produced before the assembly lines finally shut down in 2012.





All my "metric" FALs have modified "inch" folding charging handles since they are far better than the fixed metric ones.

I also have one modified 30 rd "inch" mag but it's a monster.
 
Actualy India's Ishapore 1A1 was a inch/metric hybrid.

India used a unique variant of the inch-pattern FAL.

However, it is not a pure "inch-pattern" rifle. Officially designated as the Rifle 7.62mm 1A1 (commonly known as the Ishapore 1A1), India's service rifle is actually an inch/metric hybrid.

The Backstory

In the early 1960s, India wanted to upgrade to a modern service rifle and chose the Belgian FN FAL. They wanted to manufacture it locally at the Ishapore Rifle Factory. However, licensing negotiations with the Belgian company Fabrique Nationale (FN) fell through because India did not want to purchase the expensive, proprietary Belgian tooling.
Instead, Indian engineers took existing samples of the British L1A1 (an inch-pattern rifle) and the original Belgian FAL (a metric-pattern rifle) and reverse-engineered their own blueprint.

The Indian 1A1 is a "mut" by mixing elements of two different designs, the Indian 1A1 is a fascinating mechanical "mut". Most of its parts are not interchangeable with standard British inch or Belgian metric rifles.
  • Inch-Pattern Features:
    • Magazines: It uses standard inch-pattern magazines, featuring the wide front locking lug.
    • Fire Selector: It copied the British Commonwealth style, limiting the infantry rifle to semi-automatic only (Safe and Fire).
    • Charging Handle: It features the folding charging handle typical of Commonwealth L1A1s.
    • Sights: The front sight and gas block follow the Commonwealth layout.
  • Metric-Pattern Features:
    • Bolt Release: It uses the distinct, small plunger-style bolt release from the Belgian metric design.
    • Rear Sight Lock: The rear sight folds flat like an inch-pattern rifle, but uses the metric spring-loaded button for range adjustment.
    • Internal Pins: Several lower internal components (like the trigger and sear holes) match metric dimensions rather than the larger, sleeved inch-pattern dimensions.
    • Unique Indian Features:
      • The Buttstock: The wooden stock utilizes a trapdoor buttplate taken directly from old Lee-Enfield bolt-action rifles to house an oil bottle and cleaning pull-through.
      • Pistol Grip: The grip features a unique, removable front section designed to accommodate a full-hand winter trigger for freezing mountainous terrain.
The Ishapore 1A1 served as the backbone of the Indian military for decades—notably during the 1971 Indo-Pakistani War—with over a million units produced before the assembly lines finally shut down in 2012.



All my "metric" FALs have modified "inch" folding charging handles since they are far better than the fixed metric ones.

I also have one modified 30 rd "inch" mag but it's a monster.

Uhhh.. you do realize I’ve built more FALs from around the world in the last 15 years than most guns stores ever saw come thru their store. all 922 compliant
I’ve built a model from every major country that used them. Minus all the crazy knock off models or models sold to a country from a main maker . I still have a ton barrels and related parts. Just tired of making them and buying all the compliant parts to finish them off
 
Uhhh.. you do realize I’ve built more FALs from around the world in the last 15 years than most guns stores ever saw come thru their store. all 922 compliant
I’ve built a model from every major country that used them. Minus all the crazy knock off models or models sold to a country from a main maker . I still have a ton barrels and related parts. Just tired of making them and buying all the compliant parts to finish them off

I started building FALs in the latter half of the 90's during the Golden Age of parts kits, so I have a few more operating years vs. you.

All mine are upgraded "Metrics", Imbel lowers with a mix of Stg and Imbel parts, so they're all "Mutts". Full-sized 21" ers, fixed-stock 18" Congo's and 18/16" Para's.

Never was interested in the "inch" family.

The herd is still complete except for two that I let go.

I still have enough parts to build another 21", and have ALOT of mags (steel & aluminum) but that era is long gone now & I've moved on to better AR-10 types.

When the Klingons attack I'll but them back on "the line".
 
Last edited:
I started building FALs in the latter half of the 90's during the Golden Age of parts kits, so I have a few more operating years vs. you.

All mine are upgraded "Metrics", Imbel lowers with a mix of Stg and Imbel parts, so their all "Mutts". Full-sized 21" ers, fixed-stock 18" Congo's and 18/16" Para's.

Never was interested in the "inch" family.

The herd is still complete except for two that I let go.

I still have enough parts to build another 21", and have ALOT of mags (steel & aluminum) but that era is long gone now & I've moved on to better AR-10 types.

When the Klingons attack I'll but them back on "the line".
Then you didnt need to bore me with your India Fal wikipedia rant
 
Back
Top