BassCliff
Ronin
Hey gang,
It was a cool, wet afternoon when I made my way over to the older facility after lunch. Following a double bacon cheeseburger and onion rings I was ready to punch holes in paper.
When I arrived someone was in my favorite lane! Can you believe it? The nerve of that guy!
Oh, but it's OK. He was just finishing up. I told the clerk I would wait patiently for the gentleman to vacate the premises, then take that lane. It was fortuitous timing. Ahh, now I feel at home.
I'm still dirtying up the pistols from last week, my new XDM Elite 4.5" OSP 10mm and the Ruger Mark IV. I brought a couple of different .22 ammo to test for consistency. The XDM gets the Freedom 180 grain 10mm.
I had emailed Springfield about the magwell/basepad/magazine conundrum I was having. I bought the pistol new with two magazines. Included in the box was a couple of extra basepads and the magwell kit. However, all the basepads were the same and none of them fit when the magwell is installed. The response from Springfield said I should not have received the magwell with my purchase and they don't sell the basepads for the 16-round magazines. I'm pretty sure the 16-round magazines will work with the magwell but I want to make sure before I order five of them. I know folks like Springer Precision make basepads but they're not exactly cheap and for a few bucks more I can just get new magazines. I'm not sure if the Springer basepads will work with the factory magwell either. Oh, what's a bass player to do?
But I digress.
Anyway, I found myself alone on the range for a few minutes so I made the mistake of trying a cold 10-10-10 drill with my new 10mm pistol. It did not go well.
At the beep I fired off 10 shots and you can see that NONE of them hit the black, plus I was over par time. I'll have to work with this pistol a little bit more before I try that again. Yuck! I stuck with slow fire (1-2 seconds) mediocrity for the rest of the session. A patched-up target #2 got a few hits near the center, and one waaaay off.
I do believe target #3 was the best target of the day. Yes, there are 10 hits on this target, three in the 9 ring, three in the 10 ring, and four in the X ring. I wish I could get more hits touching together.
Well, you know me. After a pretty good target I tend to get a little cocky and start shooting a little faster and looser. The next two targets showcase my mediocrity, #4 and #5.
For target #6 I told myself to settle down and shoot a string of twenty hits, concentrating on all the fundamentals. I guess it helped a little.
If you give me a couple of line breaks, only one is out of the black. Am I starting to get the hang of this thing? Tell you what, let's try a shoot-n-see target. This makes me really pay attention because everyone on the range can see my hits. I'll try to put 20 more holes in target #7.
Well, I'd say I came dangerously close to getting all those hits inside the 9-ring of a regular B-8 target. That's not too bad, considering who's working with a fairly new 10mm pistol. It looks like I have ten rounds left out of the 200 I brought today. I'm going to patch this up and try to group a little tighter.
Pooh. I let three get off of my "aim small, miss small" sticker. Let's go back to the good target for a glam shot.
I'll finish up my range day in the next post. The forum is complaining about too many characters. Be right back.
Thank you for your indulgence,
BassCliff
It was a cool, wet afternoon when I made my way over to the older facility after lunch. Following a double bacon cheeseburger and onion rings I was ready to punch holes in paper.
When I arrived someone was in my favorite lane! Can you believe it? The nerve of that guy!
Oh, but it's OK. He was just finishing up. I told the clerk I would wait patiently for the gentleman to vacate the premises, then take that lane. It was fortuitous timing. Ahh, now I feel at home.
I'm still dirtying up the pistols from last week, my new XDM Elite 4.5" OSP 10mm and the Ruger Mark IV. I brought a couple of different .22 ammo to test for consistency. The XDM gets the Freedom 180 grain 10mm.
I had emailed Springfield about the magwell/basepad/magazine conundrum I was having. I bought the pistol new with two magazines. Included in the box was a couple of extra basepads and the magwell kit. However, all the basepads were the same and none of them fit when the magwell is installed. The response from Springfield said I should not have received the magwell with my purchase and they don't sell the basepads for the 16-round magazines. I'm pretty sure the 16-round magazines will work with the magwell but I want to make sure before I order five of them. I know folks like Springer Precision make basepads but they're not exactly cheap and for a few bucks more I can just get new magazines. I'm not sure if the Springer basepads will work with the factory magwell either. Oh, what's a bass player to do?
Anyway, I found myself alone on the range for a few minutes so I made the mistake of trying a cold 10-10-10 drill with my new 10mm pistol. It did not go well.
At the beep I fired off 10 shots and you can see that NONE of them hit the black, plus I was over par time. I'll have to work with this pistol a little bit more before I try that again. Yuck! I stuck with slow fire (1-2 seconds) mediocrity for the rest of the session. A patched-up target #2 got a few hits near the center, and one waaaay off.
I do believe target #3 was the best target of the day. Yes, there are 10 hits on this target, three in the 9 ring, three in the 10 ring, and four in the X ring. I wish I could get more hits touching together.
Well, you know me. After a pretty good target I tend to get a little cocky and start shooting a little faster and looser. The next two targets showcase my mediocrity, #4 and #5.
For target #6 I told myself to settle down and shoot a string of twenty hits, concentrating on all the fundamentals. I guess it helped a little.
If you give me a couple of line breaks, only one is out of the black. Am I starting to get the hang of this thing? Tell you what, let's try a shoot-n-see target. This makes me really pay attention because everyone on the range can see my hits. I'll try to put 20 more holes in target #7.
Well, I'd say I came dangerously close to getting all those hits inside the 9-ring of a regular B-8 target. That's not too bad, considering who's working with a fairly new 10mm pistol. It looks like I have ten rounds left out of the 200 I brought today. I'm going to patch this up and try to group a little tighter.
Pooh. I let three get off of my "aim small, miss small" sticker. Let's go back to the good target for a glam shot.
I'll finish up my range day in the next post. The forum is complaining about too many characters. Be right back.
Thank you for your indulgence,
BassCliff