testtest

New Handgun Suggestion

Lchtus

Master Class
Maybe I should be spending more time on my huge honey do list, or maybe even my real work, but I have been contemplating getting a new handgun. I know I should list out my “needs” but common I really dont need another... I currently have a hellcat OSP. It’s been great but funny thing after making it tacti-cool. I found I enjoy carrying it more without the optic and light. At least I have the options. My only other firearm is a Moss 500 for general home D as well.

I think I would like it for more fun and practice than anything else (and to compliment my home D scenario). I thought about:

-LCP 22LR
- Glock 44 22LR
- SIg 938 (but do I really want another little carry, but I see many of you rotate so maybe I would too)
- SA 911 Same as above
- Glock 17/19 in 9mm
- Entry 1911

I wanted to go .45 or try out a 380 Acp but with the ammo squeeze...

I am currently on the possibly an XD of some kind if I can find a fair deal. Not looking to spend a fortune, but I would be okay with a ~500ish.

Forum has always been great so your suggestions are welcome for ideas!

IWI Masada 9mm. Gets great reviews. Is optic ready with 3 or 4 plates for all the popular red dots. It’s a great choice as an SD gun, but also fun at the range. IWI has a rock solid reputation. Most important you can pick one up fo $450 right now. It’s a lot of gun for that price.

I don't like recommending "What firearm should I to get" questions as it's really up to one's own personal preference, taste and fit. That said, I do own the Glock G19 and Several 1911's. If switching to .45 for the Glock, it would be the G21. Both the G19 and G21 are nice if you ever want to put them into a CAA MCK (Micro Conversion Kit), to make them into braced Pistol Caliber Carbine type weapons. Easy to install with out modifications to the pistol and easy to uninstall to go back to regular pistol version.
1911's become some what of an obsession with me, I have several in .45 and 10mm. But none at or under $500. The cheapest SA looks to be the 1911 Mil-Spec at prices of $549-$872 (that's MSRP, so you maybe able to find one under $500, but in this current environment, probably not). I own 3 SA 1911s, the TRP in 45, TRP 6" 10mm, and their Range Officer (which I got several years ago at Cabelas for $850 ish). There are probably some $500 +/- 1911s from other manufacturers out there, I've read some reviews that say some of them are decent considering their low price point.
As far as SA's XD go, I have the XDs, XDe, and XD Mod.2 all in .45. I got the sub-compact 3.3" bbl versions and they were $500 or below when I bought them. I believe I paid about $449 for the Mod2 .45 about a year ago.
Anyways, @Lchtus, I wish you luck in your pursuit.

I don't like recommending "What firearm should I to get" questions as it's really up to one's own personal preference, taste and fit. That said, I do own the Glock G19 and Several 1911's. If switching to .45 for the Glock, it would be the G21. Both the G19 and G21 are nice if you ever want to put them into a CAA MCK (Micro Conversion Kit), to make them into braced Pistol Caliber Carbine type weapons. Easy to install with out modifications to the pistol and easy to uninstall to go back to regular pistol version.
1911's become some what of an obsession with me, I have several in .45 and 10mm. But none at or under $500. The cheapest SA looks to be the 1911 Mil-Spec at prices of $549-$872 (that's MSRP, so you maybe able to find one under $500, but in this current environment, probably not). I own 3 SA 1911s, the TRP in 45, TRP 6" 10mm, and their Range Officer (which I got several years ago at Cabelas for $850 ish). There are probably some $500 +/- 1911s from other manufacturers out there, I've read some reviews that say some of them are decent considering their low price point.
As far as SA's XD go, I have the XDs, XDe, and XD Mod.2 all in .45. I got the sub-compact 3.3" bbl versions and they were $500 or below when I bought them. I believe I paid about $449 for the Mod2 .45 about a year ago.
Haha. I like your style Bet7. You don’t do recommendations and then you list a dozen pistols you like. Remind me not to ask you for a recommendation on cars! Make you right on 1911s though. It’s kind of hard not to get obsessed with them. I didn’t know what the big deal was until I bought one and then the light went on big time.

Haha. I like your style Bet7. You don’t do recommendations and then you list a dozen pistols you like. Remind me not to ask you for a recommendation on cars! Make you right on 1911s though. It’s kind of hard not to get obsessed with them. I didn’t know what the big deal was until I bought one and then the light went on big time.
Well, not really recommending, more like making suggestions using what I currently own :sneaky:.
Let's see, for Cars & trucks, how about what I own. A 1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo T-Top roofs and a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 :unsure:.
I just read an article that Nissan is coming out with a retro Proto Z, to come after the current 370Z. Its to have some features of the old 240Z but with the back end resembling the 300ZX and the front end resembling the 350Z Nismo. Plus it will be a Twin Turbo 6 cylinder like the 300ZX with 400HP (mine is 300hp which was a lot back when I bought it for a 6 Cyl.). So there's my recommendation for you SimonRL:

Appreciate the comments @BET7 . While certainly not recommending, it helps to diversify the options to hear a persons reasons and choices. You have quite the collection, so the comments are even more worthwhile.

I know how opinions are, but I personally like hearing various perspective.

Anyway, I handled a few 1911’s from SA and Sig the other day. I would TOTALLY give it a chance, but finding .45 would just **** me off. Maybe if things calm down, or if I run into a stash somewhere.

Now I am going to go look into more 1911’s because why not... thank you!

On your list?
Entry level 1911, definitely. RIA, Springfield Defender, etc. .45 is still on shelves around here, and not bad for ball, around .40-.50/rd.

And, you can get a .22 conversion kit for it to scratch that .22 itch.

Offlist—HK VP9. In my experience, the best overall package in a 9mm striker going right now.

Or—get a revolver. A nice classic 4” Model 10 or 66.

Let's see, for Cars & trucks, how about what I own. A 1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo T-Top roofs and a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 :unsure:.
Clearly, we are both men of excellent taste. We both like 1911s and sports cars. I have a Porsche Cayman S and Mazda Miata which has seen plenty of track time. I saw the Nissan Proto on Jalopnik. It’s really nice looking - you can definitely see the 240Z DNA.

Clearly, we are both men of excellent taste. We both like 1911s and sports cars. I have a Porsche Cayman S and Mazda Miata which has seen plenty of track time. I saw the Nissan Proto on Jalopnik. It’s really nice looking - you can definitely see the 240Z DNA.
Always wanted getting a Miata. When they first came out, I talked to a sales person who said they couldn't even get the cars and they'd be well over MSRP. I told him I'd wait and never revisited the idea. At my age 65, I can hardly get in and out of my 300ZX which still has under 100k miles on it. I hardly drive it, just a few times a year to keep it in running condition. Still drives like a champ. Yes, I must say you have good taste, I would have seriously consider a Porsche, but if I recall it was a bit more $$$ then the 300ZX, which was fully loaded when I got it for close to 40K in December of 1990.

On your list?
Entry level 1911, definitely. RIA, Springfield Defender, etc. .45 is still on shelves around here, and not bad for ball, around .40-.50/rd.

And, you can get a .22 conversion kit for it to scratch that .22 itch.

Offlist—HK VP9. In my experience, the best overall package in a 9mm striker going right now.

Or—get a revolver. A nice classic 4” Model 10 or 66.
Thank you Hans. Added the HK.

now I am rethinking that 1911 itch I had no idea you could convert to 22...

Last edited:
Back