testtest

Girlfriend's gun — suggestions?

Kage-Maru

Operator
Hey gang, new to the forum and wanted to get advice on something. My girlfriend wants a CCW gun, and I was wondering if any of you have any advice (either from guns your wife/girlfriend has, or any female shooters here). I was thinking a S&W J-Frame, Springfield Hellcat or maybe a Ruger LC9. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately, all my local ranges don't have any rental options. The Hellcat is really catching my eye (but I'd like for her to be able to shoot it first). Any of you all have any experience with females shooting that gun (is it manageable for a reasonably petite woman)?

Has your friend done any shooting before? If so , what firearms has she shot? This is a determining factor before knowing what she might be comfortable with.

My ex-wife couldn't rack the slide of a pistol so she went with a snub nose revolver. Everyone is different.

Has your friend done any shooting before? If so , what firearms has she shot? This is a determining factor before knowing what she might be comfortable with.

My ex-wife couldn't rack the slide of a pistol so she went with a snub nose revolver. Everyone is different.
Agreed. I seriously considered the S&W Shield EZ for my wife for that very reason....

I would look hard for a range that also sells guns, as there is no substitute for actually shooting the firearm or something similar to it. Ask people at the ranges you go to, maybe they can help too, or ask friends who might have weapons you can let her try.

Case in point is my 22 year old daughter. She had shot my Ruger Mark II (.22LR) some growing up, and was always one of the better shots in the family with it. She is 5'1" on a good day in heels, and decided she wanted a pistol she could carry with her, and applied for and got her CCW permit. So, I took her to the range, where we tried my Ruger LCP (.380ACP), which she could not handle, as even with the 380acp, its only a 9 ounce gun. She fired her great-great-grandfathers .38 S&W M&P 5", which she also felt had too much recoil. Then we moved on to a XDM 5.25 9mm, which she loved, and had zero issues with. Carrying a full sized 9mm was out of the question though. So from the range, we rented (by buying a box of ammo in 9mm and 380acp) and tried the S&W 380EZ, and the Ruger LC9s. She liked the 380EZ best, and had some FTF's due to limp with the LC9s.

In the end I got her a Ruger LC380, as it reduces the recoil felt in the LC9S/EC9S frame, and is more manageable for her, and its a pretty concealable pistol. If I had to do it again, probably would have gotten the S&W Shield EZ 380, but it would have exceeded the 2018 Christmas gift budget my wife had established.

You need to let your girlfriend try the various guns you can, and I would not invest in a small 9mm of any sort until you know she can handle the felt recoil without limp-wristing and causing failure to go into battery and such issues.

I would look hard for a range that also sells guns, as there is no substitute for actually shooting the firearm or something similar to it. Ask people at the ranges you go to, maybe they can help too, or ask friends who might have weapons you can let her try.

Case in point is my 22 year old daughter. She had shot my Ruger Mark II (.22LR) some growing up, and was always one of the better shots in the family with it. She is 5'1" on a good day in heels, and decided she wanted a pistol she could carry with her, and applied for and got her CCW permit. So, I took her to the range, where we tried my Ruger LCP (.380ACP), which she could not handle, as even with the 380acp, its only a 9 ounce gun. She fired her great-great-grandfathers .38 S&W M&P 5", which she also felt had too much recoil. Then we moved on to a XDM 5.25 9mm, which she loved, and had zero issues with. Carrying a full sized 9mm was out of the question though. So from the range, we rented (by buying a box of ammo in 9mm and 380acp) and tried the S&W 380EZ, and the Ruger LC9s. She liked the 380EZ best, and had some FTF's due to limp with the LC9s.

In the end I got her a Ruger LC380, as it reduces the recoil felt in the LC9S/EC9S frame, and is more manageable for her, and its a pretty concealable pistol. If I had to do it again, probably would have gotten the S&W Shield EZ 380, but it would have exceeded the 2018 Christmas gift budget my wife had established.

You need to let your girlfriend try the various guns you can, and I would not invest in a small 9mm of any sort until you know she can handle the felt recoil without limp-wristing and causing failure to go into battery and such issues.
Good point on the small size 9mm. I suspect it would be a handful for someone new to shooting. A .380 might be a better bet....

My wife has a S&W M&P 2.0 compact 9mm and a S&W shield 2.0 performance center .45acp. My wife is an ER nurse and takes no crap. So...grain of salt with what she has...if you don’t have a rental option try some friends....I would not start her on a subcompact my bodyguard .380 does it’s job but would not be a starter gun. If you can’t let her try anything. I would go with a .22 lr get the basics down. Get her interest up (fun).

Its so hard to make suggestions without some background on her. When my gf was looking for her first pistol we tried all the compacts like sig 365, s&w ez, beretta px4, etc. Turns out she hated the way they felt, she thought they all felt too small. Crazy I know, but turns out she ended up getting a full size Cz75 as she absolutely loved shooting it and how easy everything was to access on it. I never would of saw that coming and its not something she anticipated either but its why trying a bunch is super important.

She was raised around guns, but pretty much only shot .22 rifles. She has not shot since she was little, but wants to get a CCW gun. We have not been dating long, so I have not really had a chance to take her out shooting (and all my guns are a bit much to start a beginner with).

So, long story short, she is someone who is not afraid of guns, but does not have any real experience with modern CCW guns. I carry an XD45, but she wants something smaller.

Is something like an XDe too big for her? I know of a young lady who carries a S&W Airweight in 38 Spcl +P. The +P might be a little heavy at first, but you could shoot straight 38 Spcl. The Airweight is small and is a revolver so it pretty much will shoot when you need it. I have an old Beretta Cheetah in 380 that shoots really nice and is small enough for a lady's hand as well. Some of the autos stage the trigger so far forward that it can be difficult for smaller hands to comfortably get the trigger finger in the correct place on the trigger. You may want to take her somewhere like Bass Pro to the gun counter and let her try the fit for several different brands (go when they are not too busy).

Last edited:
Good suggestion on the XDE. I was thinking the 3.8 might be an option. I was concerned the trigger system might be too complicated? Does that one have it as a long double action pull on the first shot and then short single action pulls after?

I bought a few different pistols thinking my wife would like them but I was wrong. You are better going to a store with her and try a few in hand. Just make sure she doesn't have an issue racking it if she has her eye on a semi auto.

Thanks, guys. I'm going to head over to the local gun store with her this weekend and let her handle some of them. Not sure if it'll be a wheelgun or an auto at this point...

Good suggestion on the XDE. I was thinking the 3.8 might be an option. I was concerned the trigger system might be too complicated? Does that one have it as a long double action pull on the first shot and then short single action pulls after?

It does. The first shot it a little harder on the trigger, and the trigger is quite a bit farther forward. Be sure to check that she can handle that.

Rule #1 - let HER pick.

Rule #2 - do not infringe upon, or attempt to influence, Rule #1.

Rule #3 - have her take a training course, from an objective, non-personally-involved, person.

I learned rule 3 when I was selling motorcycles for years. Guys teaching their gals to ride? Great way to guarantee a divorce. No joke. You DO NOT tell her how to do...ANYTHING. If YOU teach her, any criticism will be taken as a personal attack - constructive, or not. If a 'stranger' teaches her, it becomes objective instruction. Trust me. I've seen it in action.

She needs to be comfortable with whatever she's going to carry. If she isn't comfortable wearing, carrying, handling, cleaning, and shooting it...she will lose interest and it will sit on a shelf. If the comfort level is there...she'll be dragging YOU to the range!

Let her try various guns. If you go to a range, I can pretty much guarantee other folks there will let her try a few rounds if you explain the situation. If you're in Maryland, she can run as many rounds as she wants through my XDs.

Do not tell. ASK. Don't try to steer her opinion, simply ask "how do you like that?" How does it feel. How does it make HER feel. What does she NOT like about it? Asking questions makes her analyze it, which will in turn help her pay attention to each and every round she puts through each and every weapon, and ultimately help her make her decision. Ask her the questions about details she needs to pay attention to. Do NOT give her those answers...just help her learn the right questions to ask, so she can make the right decision for herself.

HER decision.

If she asks...answer honestly. But don't voluntarily try to tell her anything - just ASK. Guide her to her own answer.

I'm going through a similar situation with a close friend. She hates guns. Terrified. Her 18 year old daughter shoots (quite well, actually). Her ex husband shoots. I shoot, and I carry daily. When I started carrying, I was very explicit with her about it and we went over the "if something happens to me and I'm incapacitated, here's how you handle/clear/safe my weapon without hurting yourself or anyone else". I found out months later that my gun scared her, and she hated me wearing it.

Last week, I found out she took a range class. We were working on a house I'm selling, she walks up to me, and says "hey, show me your grip when you shoot your gun". I was dumbfounded, and through that exercise I learned about the class, about the grip she was told to use (basically the "B" grip from the "does your grip make you miss" thread), and about how her ex, her daughter, and I, all use the same grip as each other, but it's not a "B" grip. And, she wants to try our grip, now that she understands some more reasoning behind it (which basically validated what she was thinking anyway).

Different reason for her to start shooting, to be sure, but she took it with ZERO influence (or knowledge) on my part. She took it for HER reasons, and she took it so she could stop being afraid of the machine that I wear on my hip every day.

Turns out, she actually likes shooting, and the photo I got of her first target (full-frame Glock rental) was pretty damned good. Not sure if she'll actually buy a gun, or start to carry one (that's a hurdle-from-hell here in the Republik of Maryland, but she has the advantage of being a single mom and having an employer who'll sign off on it as well)...but she has interest. For HER reasons, not mine.

Rule #1 - let HER pick.

Rule #2 - do not infringe upon, or attempt to influence, Rule #1.

Rule #3 - have her take a training course, from an objective, non-personally-involved, person.

I learned rule 3 when I was selling motorcycles for years. Guys teaching their gals to ride? Great way to guarantee a divorce. No joke. You DO NOT tell her how to do...ANYTHING. If YOU teach her, any criticism will be taken as a personal attack - constructive, or not. If a 'stranger' teaches her, it becomes objective instruction. Trust me. I've seen it in action.

She needs to be comfortable with whatever she's going to carry. If she isn't comfortable wearing, carrying, handling, cleaning, and shooting it...she will lose interest and it will sit on a shelf. If the comfort level is there...she'll be dragging YOU to the range!

Let her try various guns. If you go to a range, I can pretty much guarantee other folks there will let her try a few rounds if you explain the situation. If you're in Maryland, she can run as many rounds as she wants through my XDs.

Do not tell. ASK. Don't try to steer her opinion, simply ask "how do you like that?" How does it feel. How does it make HER feel. What does she NOT like about it? Asking questions makes her analyze it, which will in turn help her pay attention to each and every round she puts through each and every weapon, and ultimately help her make her decision. Ask her the questions about details she needs to pay attention to. Do NOT give her those answers...just help her learn the right questions to ask, so she can make the right decision for herself.

HER decision.

If she asks...answer honestly. But don't voluntarily try to tell her anything - just ASK. Guide her to her own answer.

I'm going through a similar situation with a close friend. She hates guns. Terrified. Her 18 year old daughter shoots (quite well, actually). Her ex husband shoots. I shoot, and I carry daily. When I started carrying, I was very explicit with her about it and we went over the "if something happens to me and I'm incapacitated, here's how you handle/clear/safe my weapon without hurting yourself or anyone else". I found out months later that my gun scared her, and she hated me wearing it.

Last week, I found out she took a range class. We were working on a house I'm selling, she walks up to me, and says "hey, show me your grip when you shoot your gun". I was dumbfounded, and through that exercise I learned about the class, about the grip she was told to use (basically the "B" grip from the "does your grip make you miss" thread), and about how her ex, her daughter, and I, all use the same grip as each other, but it's not a "B" grip. And, she wants to try our grip, now that she understands some more reasoning behind it (which basically validated what she was thinking anyway).

Different reason for her to start shooting, to be sure, but she took it with ZERO influence (or knowledge) on my part. She took it for HER reasons, and she took it so she could stop being afraid of the machine that I wear on my hip every day.

Turns out, she actually likes shooting, and the photo I got of her first target (full-frame Glock rental) was pretty damned good. Not sure if she'll actually buy a gun, or start to carry one (that's a hurdle-from-hell here in the Republik of Maryland, but she has the advantage of being a single mom and having an employer who'll sign off on it as well)...but she has interest. For HER reasons, not mine.
PegLegJoe, thanks for all the insight. What you say makes a LOT of sense. I'll be sure to follow those rules when we look.

Hey gang, new to the forum and wanted to get advice on something. My girlfriend wants a CCW gun, and I was wondering if any of you have any advice (either from guns your wife/girlfriend has, or any female shooters here). I was thinking a S&W J-Frame, Springfield Hellcat or maybe a Ruger LC9. Any suggestions/thoughts?
My Girl was scared Sh__tless to try a firearm- Lucky for me a young lady was at the range teaching a CCDW class and i asked her what would be the best Firearm for my girl to try - She said if shes scared dont be a DUM DUM and give her a 9mm or 357mm etc start her off with a 22 cal and see what happens ,mind you my Girl is 68 and after 4 months of harping she agreed to give it a try -Yippy she loved it and said wow thats not as bad as i thought , after 8 months she now has her Ccdw and carrys a Walther ppk 380 and shoots my Glock 19 and Springfield 1911 9mm at the range , Sad part she starting to shoot better groups than me -BRAT

Back