testtest

Do we have any "smart" homes out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have cameras both inside and out, and motion detection devices place about the house that will light up two red light bulbs in the bedroom while I sleep. In addition, the indoor cameras will also awake the monitor and sound an audible alarm, thus awaking me. I'm Leery of any voice command devices, (as with what other posters mentioned), you don't know who's listening in. I was in IT Security (and other areas) for over 30 years before retiring. I'm a bit paranoid about hackers getting into my network. Cameras are a good example. I believe it was the the company that makes the Ring cameras, that got hacked losing customers names, IDs and IP addresses. This allowed hackers to try to access those cameras using default password if the customer never changed it (much the same as router passwords). If the cameras were set up with the neighbor share option, the hacker could then see through those camera as well. I've locked down my router and attached devices pretty well, but it only takes one device on the network for someone to break in and then have access throughout. The concept of a smart house is great, with the Internet Of Things (IOT), it makes it convenient. But they are coming out so fast with these devices (and security is an afterthought), a lot of them are highly unsecured.

But they are coming out so fast with these devices (and security is an afterthought), a lot of them are highly unsecured.
Exactly! What can one expect in security from Rinky Dink Gadget when the OS's and Banks can't/won't even stop it.
Especially when the Hacker is in another country. Crazy! 😟

I have cameras both inside and out, and motion detection devices place about the house that will light up two red light bulbs in the bedroom while I sleep. In addition, the indoor cameras will also awake the monitor and sound an audible alarm, thus awaking me. I'm Leery of any voice command devices, (as with what other posters mentioned), you don't know who's listening in. I was in IT Security (and other areas) for over 30 years before retiring. I'm a bit paranoid about hackers getting into my network. Cameras are a good example. I believe it was the the company that makes the Ring cameras, that got hacked losing customers names, IDs and IP addresses. This allowed hackers to try to access those cameras using default password if the customer never changed it (much the same as router passwords). If the cameras were set up with the neighbor share option, the hacker could then see through those camera as well. I've locked down my router and attached devices pretty well, but it only takes one device on the network for someone to break in and then have access throughout. The concept of a smart house is great, with the Internet Of Things (IOT), it makes it convenient. But they are coming out so fast with these devices (and security is an afterthought), a lot of them are highly unsecured.
I agree. Wyze and Ring cameras, to name a very few, have had security issues. You would understand the importance of firewalls, DMZ's, and other security measures that can be put into play. Not something your average homeowner would know and not a guarantee that someone wouldn't try to breach. I find my inside cameras convenient to check on the dogs. Hopefully I would never need it for identifying an intruder but that is a main reason for having them.

I agree. Wyze and Ring cameras, to name a very few, have had security issues. You would understand the importance of firewalls, DMZ's, and other security measures that can be put into play. Not something your average homeowner would know and not a guarantee that someone wouldn't try to breach. I find my inside cameras convenient to check on the dogs. Hopefully I would never need it for identifying an intruder but that is a main reason for having them.
Agreed jmcd. With the Wyze and Ring, users should change the default password and set up Two factor Authentication (2FA), which I think is availbale with their product. This way, any changes (whether my homeowner or Hacker), would require an addition verification such as a code sent to their cell phone that they must then also enter to complete the change. I believe the instructions that come with these products also describe how to change password, and to make it more secure. And as somewhat paranoid as I am, I accept the risk to use indoor cameras for potential intruders, as I have no pets as of yet, so again I agree with you there.

How to wipe out humans

roomba-evil.jpg

ac4.jpg

Last edited:
I have 5 or 6 Zwave switches (smart light switches) in the main living area of our home, as my previous employer had me install them for testing a lighting control system we developed for a restaurant chain. I have them all hooked to a Wink hub now, and an Amazon Echo, and it is nice to be able to turn the lights on when coming in from the garage with an arm load of groceries, but that’s about it.

I have 5 or 6 Zwave switches (smart light switches) in the main living area of our home, as my previous employer had me install them for testing a lighting control system we developed for a restaurant chain. I have them all hooked to a Wink hub now, and an Amazon Echo, and it is nice to be able to turn the lights on when coming in from the garage with an arm load of groceries, but that’s about it.
You are on your way. I find it very convenient to have the lights come on when I am carrying something or my hands are a mess from working on one of the kids cars.

Just a FYI for anyone that has the RING doorbell camera w/App. I came across this article that I found alarming, but I guess companies selling private user data behind their customers back is now common place.

Only camera I trust to be inactive is the one with a lens cover on it. My laptop camera has a piece to electrical tape over it. Smart phone apps can have complete control of the camera and microphone. Of course any time it is powered up it is giving away, with in a foot or two, exactly where I am. My vehicle is doing that and more. Electric/Gas meter reports my usage and when. Compares my usage to the residents of my community and the energy efficient residence. Won't even go in to the internet. I intend to keep my home as dumbed up as possible. Never know what those smart homes are plotting.
I kept getting random pictures showing up on my phone. So I put some velcro on the back of my phone case and cover the cam with morale patches.

When i need it I just take the patch off. Now if there's a random pic its just black.

Facebook is also collecting info on folks that even don't belong to Facebook by getting your info from places you do business with.

There's got to be a law in there some where.
That‘s the reason I don’t do any social media......someone is always watching.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back