testtest

1 Gallon of CLP

I've had it in my wish list for a year or two now but I finally found a rationalization to purchase the gallon size of CLP! I'm installing a large solar array in the back yard and the support system is made of 3 inch schedule 40 steel pipe. I think it'll look great with a nice coat of CLP instead of paint and bonus, I've got all this CLP. Now for more firearms, to get more ammo, to use all this CLP....lol.
:D

I've had it in my wish list for a year or two now but I finally found a rationalization to purchase the gallon size of CLP! I'm installing a large solar array in the back yard and the support system is made of 3 inch schedule 40 steel pipe. I think it'll look great with a nice coat of CLP instead of paint and bonus, I've got all this CLP. Now for more firearms, to get more ammo, to use all this CLP....lol.
How would CLP make it look great, it will wear off fast out in the weather, it will give little or no protection after a heavy rain and the sun beating down on it. Also an FYI, after you open CLP it has an expiration date on it, usually a year once it’s open, it still will work after this time, but not as good, yes there is no date on the product, but a call to the manufacturer will mention this when you ask how long is it good for after opening, Lucas Oil will tell you, this only applies when the product is open, but I have used it after a year with no issues, it’s to expensive to just pitch

Ditto to Annihilator, they make lacquers specific for steel pipe to prevent rust during transport and storage that would better, although even those wash off after a few good rains. Prime and paint is all you can do for a semi-permanent solution on black steel pipe. Unless you want to get crazy with fusion-bonded epoxies and other coatings that require heat. CLP will wash right off.

Ditto to Annihilator, they make lacquers specific for steel pipe to prevent rust during transport and storage that would better, although even those wash off after a few good rains. Prime and paint is all you can do for a semi-permanent solution on black steel pipe. Unless you want to get crazy with fusion-bonded epoxies and other coatings that require heat. CLP will wash right off.
Above ground, paint is the way to go. Below ground is a whole different protocol. There are 70 year old steel gaspipes in the ground, and I bury more all the time, that CANNOT rust. By that I mean it is imperative that they don't rust. They all get primed and then either covered with Mastic or greenline. The new steel pipes are fusion bonded epoxy coated. These pipes will be obviously laying directly in water sometimes.

We are in the process now of removing all the bare steel services. They're old. Mostly intact and leak free-ish.

I hear CLP is good for cleaning steel baffles on suppressors. Time to get a couple rimfire cans!!

Luckily Colorado is really dry and rust isn't much of an issue here...just dust :(
Ya'll took the wind right outta my sails but I'm gonna be stubborn and try it anyways. I'll have to sand either way if I paint so we'll just call it an experiment. Thank you for the heads up on the 1 year expiration for CLP. The clock is always ticking isn't it?!?!?

Luckily Colorado is really dry and rust isn't much of an issue here...just dust :(
Ya'll took the wind right outta my sails but I'm gonna be stubborn and try it anyways. I'll have to sand either way if I paint so we'll just call it an experiment. Thank you for the heads up on the 1 year expiration for CLP. The clock is always ticking isn't it?!?!?

Hmm. I thought you were joking.

Think about this. CLP is a solvent that cleans adequately, lubes adequately and protects adequately. Notice I used the word adequately and not well. You are making a trade off. Convenience in exchange for superior performance. That being the case it is a waste of money to buy a gallon of CLP and apply it on something that is going to sit outdoors in the elements. Even the minimum protection it would afford will be gone inside a month or more likely within a week.

Also it is my opinion that the expiration date on these solvents is largely a tactic to get you to buy more product. As Anni said, it still works, just allegedly not as well. Which was never as well as a dedicated cleaner or a dedicated lube in the first place. I have and use CLP that is older than that, but by and large I buy CLP in aerosol cans so it is never "Open" in the first place.

Far be it from me to tell anyone how to spend their money brother, but as I see it the only benefit in your case to buying a gallon of CLP is the experience of justifying buying a gallon of CLP. Which isn't actually a benefit at all. Do yourself a favor and buy a large size aerosol can of your favorite CLP for $13 and use the money you saved to buy more ammo.

If you want to actually protect your steel solar array I am going to tell you the best way to do it. It's fairly simple, fairly inexpensive and more effective than anything you can imagine.

Step one: Buy a 17 lb Magnesium anode. Bury it 1' deep alongside of your solar array and cad weld the wire to the leg. This will cathodically protect the steel for many, many years. I have one lb. anodes protecting my chain link fence right now and it is something we use to cathodically protect buried steel gas lines. And it's cheap ( free for me). Here is a link to an anode.
Here is a link to where to buy this anode.

Step two: Prime and paint your steel with high quality outdoor paint.

Step three: Don't worry about it ever again.

Hmm. I thought you were joking.

Think about this. CLP is a solvent that cleans adequately, lubes adequately and protects adequately. Notice I used the word adequately and not well. You are making a trade off. Convenience in exchange for superior performance. That being the case it is a waste of money to buy a gallon of CLP and apply it on something that is going to sit outdoors in the elements. Even the minimum protection it would afford will be gone inside a month or more likely within a week.

Also it is my opinion that the expiration date on these solvents is largely a tactic to get you to buy more product. As Anni said, it still works, just allegedly not as well. Which was never as well as a dedicated cleaner or a dedicated lube in the first place. I have and use CLP that is older than that, but by and large I buy CLP in aerosol cans so it is never "Open" in the first place.

Far be it from me to tell anyone how to spend their money brother, but as I see it the only benefit in your case to buying a gallon of CLP is the experience of justifying buying a gallon of CLP. Which isn't actually a benefit at all. Do yourself a favor and buy a large size aerosol can of your favorite CLP for $13 and use the money you saved to buy more ammo.

If you want to actually protect your steel solar array I am going to tell you the best way to do it. It's fairly simple, fairly inexpensive and more effective than anything you can imagine.

Step one: Buy a 17 lb Magnesium anode. Bury it 1' deep alongside of your solar array and cad weld the wire to the leg. This will cathodically protect the steel for many, many years. I have one lb. anodes protecting my chain link fence right now and it is something we use to cathodically protect buried steel gas lines. And it's cheap ( free for me). Here is a link to an anode.
Here is a link to where to buy this anode.

Step two: Prime and paint your steel with high quality outdoor paint.

Step three: Don't worry about it ever again.
Thank you Bassbob! A+ on the proper solution AND the links. I'm totally sold on it. It may have to wait until spring though. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Back