testtest

10 ‘Must Have’ Calibers and Platforms

Talyn, only 10 ? To me the real question is if you owned several hundred guns which ten would you take if that's all they allowed on the spaceship taking you to another galaxy?
Of the 10 calibers/cartridges in the article the only one I disagree with is the .30 carbine.

It's not readily available in my area, and there are calibers/cartridges that do the job better than the .30 Carbine.

Lastly, the Rocinante has a small cargo bay. So I'd have to be selective on what I bring. ;)

1694966873101.png

Last edited:
I think many items on any gunowner's list will be dictated by the sentimental feelings that they attach to members of their collection. For me, my list would be based on the ammo I had on hand. If I couldn't use it why take it.

I am curious why he said this > My second choice, again only because of availability and the numbers, would be the .223 Remington. Notice I said .223 and not 5.56x45mm. The reason for that is weapons chambered in either caliber will all safely fire the .223 Remington. However, those chambered in .223 cannot safely fire the 5.56.

He then shows a picture of a 5.56... I assume in the above statement he meant he recommends 5.56 so that he can shoot either caliber? Seems like a weird statement.

The one I do not personally agree with in his list is the 30 Carbine. Sure it may be fun to have but it is almost redundant with all of the other calibers he list, so why have to buy yet another caliber of ammo.

308, 12 ga, 45 and 9 tend to suit my TEN pretty well

308 is great at all around stuff i do, i dont shoot past 150 or so yards, to much stuff you cant see in the woods, so i really try to stay at 100 yards or less.

article might have mentioned...hey what works best for you...and then list the stuff
as far as when the crap hits the spinning blades and zombies or the fbi come a calling?

As a reloader I-like the .30 carbine. Maybe not long range, but up to 300 meters, good to go. Had one in the Nam, traded Scotch for ammo from a Loach crew, although it was a M-2. Never jammed and was more comfortable to carry than a M-16.

308 is great at all around stuff i do, i dont shoot past 150 or so yards, to much stuff you cant see in the woods, so i really try to stay at 100 yards or less.

article might have mentioned...hey what works best for you...and then list the stuff
as far as when the crap hits the spinning blades and zombies or the fbi come a calling?
If the FBI comes a calling, just yell “hey look, theres Trump over there!”
Then quietly go the other way while they’re busy trying to dig up dirt on Trump 😜

I will take the. 30 carbine over the .223 simply for the firearm it is known for. The carbine is my favorite military rifle all time. I will take one over an AR platform any day. Unpopular opinion sure but there it is.

As far as my must have calibers. 22 lr and. 357/38 special in handguns. These are top 2 and a carbine and handgun in each would be choice for list of two calibers that could handle my needs.

If allowed more than two, .30 carbine, 12 guage, 30/06 or .308, toss a coin, and .50 round ball will suffice for my other needs.

If allowed one more toss in an additional handgun caliber 9mm.

Last edited:
As much as I love my M1 carbine, I think the author is acting like a liberal. Letting his heart talk not his head.

Ok Here I go!
.308 / 7.62X51 M1A & AR-10, .45 & 9mm, 10MM for the really big guys, 7.62X39 just because of all the ammo that is available, and last but certainly not the least 5.56X45 and lots of it. Just to be sure. And throw in 6.5CM you know for long distance stuff to keep them at 8 blocks or more. Well maybe a flame thrower for just in case.

I plead guilty to owning everything on the list. They all have their uses and will cover any need one can think of.
And yes! I am very fond of the M1 Carbine. I think its a better choice for urban environments where over penetration can be of some concern. Short, light and fast handling. I really think that in the role of house rifle, its better than an AR type.
I actually own two of them. One is just like Uncle Sam issued and the other has been modified a bit for the 21st century. ;)

A suppressed .22 (LR or WMR) for close work might come in handy.

I will take the. 30 carbine over the .223 simply for the firearm it is known for. The carbine is my favorite military rifle all time. I will take one over an AR platform any day. Unpopular opinion sure but there it is.

As far as my must have calibers. 22 lr and. 357/38 special in handguns. These are top 2 and a carbine and handgun in each would be choice for list of two calibers that could handle my needs.

If allowed more than two, .30 carbine, 12 guage, 30/06 or .308, toss a coin, and .50 round ball will suffice for my other needs.

If allowed one more toss in an additional handgun caliber 9mm.
The 30 carbine was the first military rifle I fired as a kid and I loved it. Beyond my sentimental reasons, French paratroopers in Indochina swore by the carbine. I'll take their word for it.

Back