testtest

10mm anyone

In Illinois it must be straight walled case with a minimum foot pounds. Some 357 Magnum cartridges make the grade others do not. Although I'm pretty sure when you turn your deer in and you take with a handgun they don't make you go do a chronograph test to make sure you're using the right cartridges... lol but hey it's Illinois never put anything past them.

I enjoy shooting mine and really don't discuss effectiveness much since I feel most anything center forehead to be effective. I shoot Buffalo Bore Heavy Ammo frequently 180gr JHP. I do feel this adequate if needed. If I was in an area with real critters probably have my 4570 on the sling. Get one and enjoy the heck out of it.

Those 10mm Buffalo 220s are where it's at for me. Lots of power right there. In my Longslide it's more of a good shove almost straight back.....not a lot of muzzle rise. I don't own a 357 but have absolutely nothing against the cartridge. Maybe some day I will get one.

The 10mm is a very versatile cartridge, especially if you spend time in the woods with large dangerous critters in your area.

You can buy/load it in a variety of power levels from .45 acp level to nuclear Underwood/Buffalo Bore loads.

It shoots far flatter than a .45, and while the .45 Super is pretty good it's really a semi-wildcat round needing mods to a platform to handle it. I know one gent that uses & likes one in a modified 1911, but its a handful because of the 1911 design.

Semi-auto .357s & 44 mags are few & far between.

My .02

I've had a Ronin in 10mm since close to its launch...several thousand rounds and no major issues. As regular readers here have heard me complain before, the FO rod (front sight) on mine was breaking regularly from recoil. That issue seems to have calmed down over the last 500-1000 rounds (maybe my recoil spring needs changing, or I've gotten lots of practice cutting and melting the rods during installation). I shoot almost exclusively cheap Magtech and S&B 180grain FMJ, a notoriously light load. I can't "feel" a difference between these 2 and a couple of different .40 S&W loads I fired in this platform once upon a time. It's been a solid 1911 for me. I'd like a lighter trigger in a 1911, but I have other platforms to fill that need. BTW, I do not use this pistol for CC or HD...just a range toy.

Too bad SA stopped making the XDm 5.25 in 10mm because it shoots very smoothly with "nuke" loads, while providing the extra performance from the longer barrel.

My Lone Wolf long-slide (6" barrel) 10mm also shoots very smooth with "nuke" loads.

Lone Wold LS10_1s.jpg

Last edited:
For an easier shooting round try the Buffalo Bore tactical Low recoil and flash. Around 1300fps with 600lbs energy. Both the wife and i enjoy shooting this round. Like the drive back recoil instead of the snap/flip recoil.

Then there were the idiots that claimed “10mm = .41 Magnum”…ignorant gits.
Says the 41mag lover.

Regardless it's whatever your flavor is! I care less about the 357 and the 41! Numbers are always fudged in favor of 1 or another..........period. You can't go by what's on the box or published reloading data! Most will favor their cartridge(s) over the other. Example: Hornady's claim to fame 6.5creed compared to 260rem. I reload both cartridges and the 260rem WILL outperform the 6.5creed. Using the same bullet (143edl-x for example or 147edl-m if you want) with the same twist and barrel length seated the same depth the 260 will be faster. Although the 260rem has less max pressure by about 2,900psi. 1 is just as accurate as the other. Nosler plays their data to their cartridges as to appear faster than the Hornady line and vise versa. Where the 10 fails is it's a semiauto round and case capacity of the 41 edges it with a 1,500psi less pressure. Next, you'll say the 41mag has more power that the 44mag...................nope!

Peeps need to talk the whole truth. I'm partial to the 10, but being more honest about its capabilities. For those who want speed that translates to more energy just get a longer barrel and save powder. Another reason I just stick with the 300wm and not 300lm, 300nm, 300rum, 30-378wby, 30nosler or 300prc.

10mm.............heck ya!

10mm pcc (AR style)
10mm carbine conversion (mech-tech for Glock, best money ever spent)
10mm 5.25"xdm
10mm s&w 4"
10mm s&w 5.6" performance center
10mm G20
10mm G40
Well Mr. "The Real Life (TRL)" 😁, so we want to play "whose got some 10mm pistols ?" I'll try my hand:
CMMG MK10 Banshee 8"
Colt Delta Elite 5"
Dan Wesson Bruin 6"
FNH 510 Tactical 4.7" 22 rounds
Glock G29,G20,G40 (6") (Complete series to date)
Kimber Rapide Dawn 5"
Magnum Research Desert Eagle 5"
RIA Rock Ultra HC 16 rounds
S&W 610 revolver
S&W M&P 2.0 4", 4.6" & PC 5.6" (complete series to date)
Sig p220 Hunter 5"
Sig P320 X_TEN 5"
SA XDM Elite 3.8"
SA XD(M) 5.25"
As one may note, I'm a fan of the 10mm round

Well Mr. "The Real Life (TRL)" 😁, so we want to play "whose got some 10mm pistols ?" I'll try my hand:
CMMG MK10 Banshee 8"
Colt Delta Elite 5"
Dan Wesson Bruin 6"
Kimber Rapide Dawn 5"
S&W 610 revolver
Sig p220 Hunter 5"
Sig P320 X_TEN 5"
SA XDM Elite 3.8"
SA XD(M) 5.25"
I haven't seen a baby deagle in 10, I've thought about the 510, care less about 1911's or any full size stick mag of 8 or less (there's lots of them) and glad too see you got your 5.6"pc! Didn't know you had acquired the 5.25"xdm either? I've come soooooooooooo close on getting the RI, but you know why I wouldn't do it in no way, form or fashion!

I haven't seen a baby deagle in 10, I've thought about the 510, care less about 1911's or any full size stick mag of 8 or less (there's lots of them) and glad too see you got your 5.6"pc! Didn't know you had acquired the 5.25"xdm either? I've come soooooooooooo close on getting the RI, but you know why I wouldn't do it in no way, form or fashion!
It's their 1911 10mm (so you wouldn't like it :().
Picture of mine:

Link to Magnum Research page:

It's their 1911 10mm (so you wouldn't like it :().
Picture of mine:

Link to Magnum Research page:

Oh ya, I've seen their 1911, but thought there was a baby deagle version?

Says the 41mag lover.

Regardless it's whatever your flavor is! I care less about the 357 and the 41! Numbers are always fudged in favor of 1 or another..........period. You can't go by what's on the box or published reloading data! Most will favor their cartridge(s) over the other. Example: Hornady's claim to fame 6.5creed compared to 260rem. I reload both cartridges and the 260rem WILL outperform the 6.5creed. Using the same bullet (143edl-x for example or 147edl-m if you want) with the same twist and barrel length seated the same depth the 260 will be faster. Although the 260rem has less max pressure by about 2,900psi. 1 is just as accurate as the other. Nosler plays their data to their cartridges as to appear faster than the Hornady line and vise versa. Where the 10 fails is it's a semiauto round and case capacity of the 41 edges it with a 1,500psi less pressure. Next, you'll say the 41mag has more power that the 44mag...................nope!

Peeps need to talk the whole truth. I'm partial to the 10, but being more honest about its capabilities. For those who want speed that translates to more energy just get a longer barrel and save powder. Another reason I just stick with the 300wm and not 300lm, 300nm, 300rum, 30-378wby, 30nosler or 300prc.
If anything, the boutique ammo makers (BB, DT, Underwood) all built their reps on hot 10mm loads…if they were fudging anything, it’d be to make their 10 look hotter than their magnums.

Apples to apples…10mm is to .41 mag what .40 is to 10. You can mumble on about other calibers all you what, but that’s a stone fact.

CMMG MK10 Banshee 8"
Colt Delta Elite 5"
Dan Wesson Bruin 6"
Kimber Rapide Dawn 5"
S&W 610 revolver
Sig p220 Hunter 5"
Sig P320 X_TEN 5"
SA XDM Elite 3.8"
SA XD(M) 5.25"
I feel the need to reply... DAMN

Back