testtest

10mm for Self Defense: Is It Too Powerful?

I enjoy mine (same model) and use it for my home self defense weapon with a light. I did add Talon Pro Grips to mine and enjoy the new texture. I also have the RO Elite 10mm which I really enjoy shooting and find this gun to be very accurate. My wife shoots both with no complaints. I will say the round really smacks steel plates. Nice article

I have the XDM 10 in the 5.25 barrel with target sights. It's super manageable, I practice a lot support hand only. There's a vid of an Alaska guy comparing it to a 357 for bear protection. Surprisingly the 10 outperformed the 357 magnum in every test from velocity to penetration. They used similar buffalo bore ammunition. My next 1911 is gonna be the TRP in 10mm.

Too powerful?....
6B6F259E-DEF5-4795-B054-9F405F68CA8F.gif

I have a full size 1911 in 10mm. It is my favorite to carry. I don't personally feel the recoil to be that of my .45 in a 4.25" barrel. My first 1911 in 10mm was a Wyoming Arms with a 6" barrel. (weren't around for too long). That pistol made me a 10mm fan, glad to see it come back around. I reload for it, and enjoy shooting the caliber. I personally don't feel that the 10mm is overpowered at all. I agree with southtex, the 10mm is a very accurate caliber, and is a hard hitter as well. I guess you either love em,or hate em. I guess I'm a lover...

I have a full size 1911 in 10mm. It is my favorite to carry. I don't personally feel the recoil to be that of my .45 in a 4.25" barrel. My first 1911 in 10mm was a Wyoming Arms with a 6" barrel. (weren't around for too long). That pistol made me a 10mm fan, glad to see it come back around. I reload for it, and enjoy shooting the caliber. I personally don't feel that the 10mm is overpowered at all. I agree with southtex, the 10mm is a very accurate caliber, and is a hard hitter as well. I guess you either love em,or hate em. I guess I'm a lover...
DD7C0000-7D7A-4A81-B228-0C692AFB32AC.jpeg
FD416CA4-494A-41EC-AEB2-5BA9FF943A06.jpeg
76BDC42F-4CC2-409C-BEBB-C0DAE7CC62C3.jpeg

Anyone think it possible to add a blended magwell feed like on the TRP .45 PC9105L18 to a TRP 10mm PC9610L18 as an add on enhancement? Curious that is not standard on all TRP models...

It's entirely possible, and not that difficult.

Go to Brownells and look at 1911 magwells...tons of options.

And the reason the aren’t standard? There’s plenty of people (yours truly being one of them) that don’t find them necessary...or want them. I can see their utility, but in thousands of mag swaps, I’ve never had an issue with a plain old beveled magwell...so I don’t feel that they are required.

And as far as 10mm being too powerful?

Even though I’m not a huge 10mm fan, I will say one of it's strongest selling points is that it can be loaded from mild to wild—and there are commercial loads available that meet those criteria.

Want something just a touch warmer than .40? The Federal HydraShok 180gr @ 1050 fps fits that bill. Want hot, but not boutique hot? Winchester 175gr Silvertip @ 1285fps. Hornady's XTP loaD’s fall in between...and those are just off the top of my head.

So...there are plenty of options.

Lord no, it's not too powerful. I did some comparison versus a true magnum, the .44, a month and a half ago. The 10mm with hot Underwood hardcasts penetrates well, but a .44 with some warm hollow points blows the 10mm away. The 10mm packs some punch for an auto, and I love it for that, but if you can handle any magnum wheelgun there's no way the 10mm should be too powerful for you.

In the 10mm defense they like to compare it to the .41 magnum. I said “they”. Also y’all are eight mild to wild which is why I like it. 220gr hardcast at over 700ft/lbs of energy is not to shabby.

Then “They” are seriously cherry-picking loads (and are therefore intellectually dishonest). Apples to apples, .41 mag stomps 10mm in the dirt.

Fact is, up to 180gr loads? 10mm is equivalent, or slightly under, .357 mag in velocity.

Then “They” are seriously cherry-picking loads (and are therefore intellectually dishonest). Apples to apples, .41 mag stomps 10mm in the dirt.

Fact is, up to 180gr loads? 10mm is equivalent, or slightly under, .357 mag in velocity.
I agree 100% more in line with the .357. I will see if I still have the magazine, it was published in a American Handgunner magazine or something similar. As you know they compared this load with that load that came to a close comparison. I will say, there are some out there that are pretty stout, but “not too powerful”

I agree it's a very powerful round, but too powerful for what? I have had a Glock 21 for years, and the only thing I carry it for is when I'm hunting or fly fishing the back country in Montana or Wyoming. That's the only reason I have it. I hope I never have to see if it's "enough gun" for a cantankerous Grizzly, although I have been assured it is by many.;)

Regards,
Bill

Back