testtest

10mm vs 45 ACP — Which is Better?

I may be wrong, but didn’t Jeff Cooper help to get the 10mm going, even though he was a .45 man, personally I think what ever you prefer of can shoot proficiently is fine.
New cartridge in a new pistol designed after the CZ75, the Bren Ten. Jeff Cooper was part of the development team for both as my memory goes.

Probably the most famous use of the Bren Ten was its use in the first season of the tv show Miami Vice by the lead character.

Cooper was a fan of the Cz75 design, he said it was so good it was a shame it was not an American design. He must have really liked it, he chose it over his beloved 1911 for the bren ten.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the Glock 29. Apparently it will take the full sized Glock 20 15-round mags and they make a sleeve for the mag. The Glock 29 looks to be at least decently concealable.
I like the Baby Glocks and have several in different calibers (including the G29), for just that purpose (being concealable). Much better to do than the full size in my opinion, and it can use the higher capacity 10mm glock mags as you mentioned.

Oh, and I guess I'd better offer my 2 cents on the cartridges in question. For ballistics, the 10mm wins, no question. However, I carried a 45 ACP for 15 years and love it. I also like that I can carry a 10mm that holds more rounds than a 45 ACP. When I carried and shot the XDS 45, it hurt my hand quite a bit. Shooting the Glock 29 for the first time was a stark revelation that I need to change pistols. So I traded the XDS 45 for an XDS 9 and carry both the 9mm and 10mm. Not sure I'll ever look back.

In my opinion the 10mm is a died in the wool shooter's gun, and more suited to hunting and critter defense. I often use mine to dispatch wild hogs caught in my traps and it drops them like a stone. Although my .45 acp will also get the job done. The weight of most 10mm guns is such that most folks won't be comfortable carrying it as an every day carry gun. Then there is the pounding one takes from recoil-not so noticeable from a couple mags but run through a high round count course of fire with it and you will feel it. Recoil, report, and muzzle flash have always been a barrier to getting recruits trained and qualified with magnum-class calibers. The difficulty of getting recruits qualified with the 10mm and weight was the reason the FBI dropped it. That brought about the .40 S&W, but even that presented training challenges, so now we are back to the 9mm in policing. I will continue carrying my P220 in 45 for my daily carry, and the P220 10mm comes out for hunts and hog killing. Here are a couple 10 mm slugs I dug out of hogs-the flat one hit bone, and the other one passed through the hog and was just under the hide on the other side.

Very nice!
They didn't stray from the original concept, did they?
I still believe the SA/DA action has the best features of all worlds.

The Colonel was invested in the 10mm because he was looking for a cartridge that gave less drop and more punch at extended range. He also advocated the single/double action pistol design of CZ and what was then called the Bren 10.
He envisioned this as the best all round cartridge for LE and military use. It was roundly rejected by both as standard issue due to the average Joe and Jane's difficulties in handling the additional recoil generated by the higher velocities.
Some would have you believe it is the ballistic equivalent of the 44 Remington Magnum for use as bear defense; however, it is my opinion this contention is false AND the 44 is marginal at best when dealing with angered/protective brown bears.
Of course, anything (including the 22) is better than resorting to harsh language!
Ok, long story cut short, back in the 80's I was at a gun show in WVA, I live in Ohio, this vender had a NIB Bren Ten pistol with 2 factory mags, price was good, but at that time I didn't know you could have the gun transferred over to me in Ohio, so I let it pass......what a dumbazz I was then.......:confused:

Ok, long story cut short, back in the 80's I was at a gun show in WVA, I live in Ohio, this vender had a NIB Bren Ten pistol with 2 factory mags, price was good, but at that time I didn't know you could have the gun transferred over to me in Ohio, so I let it pass......what a dumbazz I was then.......:confused:
One of the gun shows I attended back in those days turned up an FBI model Thompson submachine gun, in a leather covered, red felt lined, cantilever case with nickel plated hardware, owner's manual, two stick magazines, a drum magazine, cleaning rod with brushes, jag, and lubricating oil...and a weapon with a mirror polished blue finish!
All of that for $1,000!
It may as well have been a million dollars as that was so far out of my reality as to be impossible.
During that same time I found a mint condition 1964 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud six cylinder with the asking price of $19,000.
Again, way out of my range.
I begin sobbing whenever I think about what they would be worth today.
Excuse me while I go blow my nose.

One of the gun shows I attended back in those days turned up an FBI model Thompson submachine gun, in a leather covered, red felt lined, cantilever case with nickel plated hardware, owner's manual, two stick magazines, a drum magazine, cleaning rod with brushes, jag, and lubricating oil...and a weapon with a mirror polished blue finish!
All of that for $1,000!
It may as well have been a million dollars as that was so far out of my reality as to be impossible.
During that same time I found a mint condition 1964 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud six cylinder with the asking price of $19,000.
I bought a used Thompson 1927-A1 for around $900 a few years back. Their MSRP at the time was around $1500 and my buddy the gun counter manager told me the guy that was the previous owner would buy firearms, shoot them once or twice, and then trade them in for something new and the whole process repeated itself. They originally wanted $1000 for it and it only included one stick mag. Since I do a lot of business there, I asked if they could come down on the price, so they took $100 off.
I will say, that it one heck of a heavy son of a gun (pun intended ;)), especially with a full drum mag that I had to purchase separately. Fun to shoot though.

I bought a used Thompson 1927-A1 for around $900 a few years back. Their MSRP at the time was around $1500 and my buddy the gun counter manager told me the guy that was the previous owner would buy firearms, shoot them once or twice, and then trade them in for something new and the whole process repeated itself. They originally wanted $1000 for it and it only included one stick mag. Since I do a lot of business there, I asked if they could come down on the price, so they took $100 off.
I will say, that it one heck of a heavy son of a gun (pun intended ;)), especially with a full drum mag that I had to purchase separately. Fun to shoot though.
Woe be unto him who faces a mad Thompson inside of 100 yards!
I still want one...

All of that for $1,000!
I was at a party with a friend and he introduced me to a big collector. During the conversation it came out that he owned a water cooled 1917 browning .30 machine gun he was thinking of selling. When I asked him how much, just curious as I was in college, he said a lot. I joked and said it's OK, I can add my wife in. He said the amount, cannot remember 40 years later. I said, oh wow, she's not worth that much.

She happened to be standing behind me, I think it took about 3 weeks before she even let me talk to her...

I was at a party with a friend and he introduced me to a big collector. During the conversation it came out that he owned a water cooled 1917 browning .30 machine gun he was thinking of selling. When I asked him how much, just curious as I was in college, he said a lot. I joked and said it's OK, I can add my wife in. He said the amount, cannot remember 40 years later. I said, oh wow, she's not worth that much.

She happened to be standing behind me, I think it took about 3 weeks before she even let me talk to her...
So much for"Indecent Proposal"🤣!

Accuracy and training

when you cannot hit me with the 10mm or the .45 because you have no clue on handguns and didnt train, it really doesnt matter.

when I hit you double tap in the head with the .22 , the coroner doesn’t really care.

not an attack on any post or member, but all dialogue on caliber is irrelevant if you miss

all the caliber vs caliber go out the window daily unless in a controlled environment and target
Wow, one minute we’re talking mankinis and the next you’re double tapping people. That got dark fast.

Back