testtest

Should I Run My Hellcat Without an Optic?

i have no optics, on any of my guns. i don't know for sure if an optic is going to be a good thing to have, when one is in a hurry to "point and shoot" at an aggressor.
With all due respect, generally speaking when the time comes to "point n shoot", even without the RDS I don't think my BUIS's comes into play anyway. It's more just instinctive pointing than actually sighting isn't it?

And as of now, when actually aiming, I've gotten on target far faster while using the RDS than the BUIS sights. Works for me 'due to' the tired, old eyes. Maybe that's not common but just me. I dunno!!! Thanks.

With all due respect, generally speaking when the time comes to "point n shoot", even without the RDS I don't think my BUIS's comes into play anyway. It's more just instinctive pointing than actually sighting isn't it?

And as of now, when actually aiming, I've gotten on target far faster while using the RDS than the BUIS sights. Works for me 'due to' the tired, old eyes. Maybe that's not common but just me. I dunno!!! Thanks.
what is BUIS..???

i still don't have the alphabet soup acronyms learnt yet.

I could knock off both sights and have no trouble hitting bad guys from 10 feet away.
I have a Uberti Stallion SA .38 that I shoot by pointing, like a finger. I don't even raise it up to eye level.
It's a cowboy game I do at the range. It's fun if you can afford to waste a little ammo. I don't try that with any other handguns, though. Pointing the little SA comes naturally to me.
So RDS, Irons, that's all up to you and more power to ya.

"Should I run my Hellcat without an optic?" What kind of ridiculous question is that? As if it's "wrong" NOT to use a red dot. News flash: everyone got along fine without them until a couple of years ago. Got nothing against them. But standard sights are just fine. Like many others, I sometimes still carry a five shot .38 snub with very rudimentary sights. I don't feel particularly vulnerable being thus armed.

I don't know who this guy in the video is, but he seems to think it clever to carry his spare mag on the same side as his pistol, even though he reloads from the opposite side when he's shooting. Nonsense like that just bugs me. He'll go on about his holster, but acts like he's never heard of a mag pouch.

Sorry about ranting, but this video just pushed my irritation button for some reason.

"Should I run my Hellcat without an optic?" What kind of ridiculous question is that? As if it's "wrong" NOT to use a red dot. News flash: everyone got along fine without them until a couple of years ago. Got nothing against them. But standard sights are just fine. Like many others, I sometimes still carry a five shot .38 snub with very rudimentary sights. I don't feel particularly vulnerable being thus armed.

I don't know who this guy in the video is, but he seems to think it clever to carry his spare mag on the same side as his pistol, even though he reloads from the opposite side when he's shooting. Nonsense like that just bugs me. He'll go on about his holster, but acts like he's never heard of a mag pouch.

Sorry about ranting, but this video just pushed my irritation button for some reason.
my buddy, took his brothers AR 15, then later his brothers G-19. both had red dot sights.

BOTH red dot sights, were from good companies.

BOTH could NOT stay on target, and had to be constantly readjusted.

the RSO at the outdoor rangem looked at BOTH red dot sights. he was former military, and as a private person, knows his "stuff". he said something to the effect of, "remove them and use the factory sights"

as i said earlier, in a self defense situation, red dot sights are kinda useless. all you got time for is, "point and shoot"

Although I didn’t watch the video I read the article, I found it informative as Mike’s articles are but that being said I remember saying at one time I’d never use a red dot on a pistol but then buying the gun that was ready to accept one I figured why not. Well I’m happy I did and the transition from iron’s to an optic was easy for me, I do still have guns with just iron sights and I’m ok with that as well. To each his own I say.

my buddy, took his brothers AR 15, then later his brothers G-19. both had red dot sights.

BOTH red dot sights, were from good companies.

BOTH could NOT stay on target, and had to be constantly readjusted.

the RSO at the outdoor rangem looked at BOTH red dot sights. he was former military, and as a private person, knows his "stuff". he said something to the effect of, "remove them and use the factory sights"

as i said earlier, in a self defense situation, red dot sights are kinda useless. all you got time for is, "point and shoot"
With a good red dot it's easy to point and shoot. I use multiple red dot sights on different firearms without any loss of zero.

I shoot a .22lr pistol 50yds at a 4in spinning target with consistent hits using a red dot sight. I also shoot 5.56 and .308 rifles out to 200 yds on a torso sized steel target with consistent hits also.

Alot of people don't know how to properly zero a red dot sight. Sights like the Vortex Viper need to be zeroed then have the locking screws set to maintain zero.

Another thing that inexperienced red dot users don't consider is the MOA of the red dot.

A 3 MOA red dot covers 3 inches at 100yds and a 6 MOA red dot covers 6 inches at 100yds which can make it appear that you are losing zero because your red dot MOA is too large for the distance you are shooting.

With a good red dot it's easy to point and shoot. I use multiple red dot sights on different firearms without any loss of zero.

I shoot a .22lr pistol 50yds at a 4in spinning target with consistent hits using a red dot sight. I also shoot 5.56 and .308 rifles out to 200 yds on a torso sized steel target with consistent hits also.

Alot of people don't know how to properly zero a red dot sight. Sights like the Vortex Viper need to be zeroed then have the locking screws set to maintain zero.

Another thing the inexperienced red dot users don't consider is the MOA of the red dot.

A 3 MOA red dot covers 3 inches at 100yds and a 6 MOA red dot covers 6 inches at 100yds which can make it appear that you are losing zero because your red dot MOA is too large for the distance you are shooting.
👆👆👆

Another thing that inexperienced red dot users don't consider is the MOA of the red dot.

yeah, i don't know what you mean by saying, MOA....

the brother went and bought the red dot, a Holson? i believe for the AR...then a different brand for the G-19. i have no knowledge of adjusting a red dot. but the range officer at the outdoor range, like i said was former military (and a young man at that, not old like me) , and said to remove it. i do recall he only looked at the sight, not try to adjust it.

yeah, i don't know what you mean by saying, MOA....

the brother went and bought the red dot, a Holson? i believe for the AR...then a different brand for the G-19. i have no knowledge of adjusting a red dot. but the range officer at the outdoor range, like i said was former military (and a young man at that, not old like me) , and said to remove it. i do recall he only looked at the sight, not try to adjust it.
MOA is minute of angle. Most scopes and sights use this measurement as a means to adjust for zero. For every 1 MOA you have 1 inch at 100yds. Like I mentioned previously that if you have a 6 MOA red dot sight it will shine as a 6 inch dot on a target at 100yds. Being slightly off center to a bullseye with each shot can have a major effect on group sizes with an MOA so high. Now if your shooting at 50yds your red dot will cover half the amount of inches.

I'm sure someone else here may have a better way to explain my point.

And I hear what you're saying but military service doesn't automatically make you an expert on every topic firearms related.

There's a large portion of the general population that feel police are firearms experts also and as most of us here know that's not the case.

The red dot market wouldn't be so hot if they didn't perform so well.

Red dot sights are not precision tools and they are mostly made for quick reflex shooting.

MOA is minute of angle. Most scopes and sights use this measurement as a means to adjust for zero. For every 1 MOA you have 1 inch at 100yds. Like I mentioned previously that if you have a 6 MOA red dot sight it will shine as a 6 inch dot on a target at 100yds. Being slightly off center to a bullseye with each shot can have a major effect on group sizes with an MOA so high. Now if your shooting at 50yds your red dot will cover half the amount of inches.

I'm sure someone else here may have a better way to explain my point.

And I hear what you're saying but military service doesn't automatically make you an expert on every topic firearms related.

There's a large portion of the general population that feel police are firearms experts also and as most of us here know that's not the case.

The red dot market wouldn't be so hot if they didn't perform so well.

Red dot sights are not precision tools and they are mostly made for quick reflex shooting.
no, not saying a former military is an expert, but they do shoot more than the average person in combat.....so don't they have "some knowledge" on how to set up a sight..??

Back