testtest

Candelas, Lumens and Everything Else — All About Tactical Lights

A gun fight in the Dark, the first one that turns on a flash light loses, just sayin.....

Yes, there are reason for having them and situations where you have to use a flashlight and a pistol at the same time.... ...think before you turn it on.... ....it also shows how dangerous cops jobs are, they have to follow rules the bad guys don't that puts them at a disadvantage, some of those rules probably make it necessary to use a flashlight while a bad guy won't identify the target before shooting and could fire randomly through doors, walls and into the dark....

A gun fight in the Dark, the first one that turns on a flash light loses, just sayin.....

Yes, there are reason for having them and situations where you have to use a flashlight and a pistol at the same time.... ...think before you turn it on.... ....it also shows how dangerous cops jobs are, they have to follow rules the bad guys don't that puts them at a disadvantage, some of those rules probably make it necessary to use a flashlight while a bad guy won't identify the target before shooting and could fire randomly through doors, walls and into the dark....
Shoot the wrong person without properly identifying your target and see what happens.

Shoot the wrong person without properly identifying your target and see what happens.
Being shot dead to avoid legal problems is clearly a much better alternative....

That is why I said, "think before you turn it on"

and why cops jobs are so dangerous cause procedure probably requires them to turn it on regardless

Good article covering the basics, and the pluses & minuses of too much light in a confined area.

Hopefully, this will be a multi-part series since there's more to this subject for users, new & experienced, to consider.

There is training and fundamentals involved in it. The big one being a pressure switch, a quick on and off to see what's there while simultaneously moving and/or the all important using the light to momentarily blind your quarry. I have seen articles/studies on it and the effects of your eyes adjusting to light in total darkness. Even some that had a couple guys, one with a light and one without, out of doors in total darkness. There is a reason military and LEO use them and it isn't because they lose gunfights.

So this statement here:

"A gun fight in the Dark, the first one that turns on a flash light loses, just sayin....."

Is categorically false.

There is training and fundamentals involved in it. The big one being a pressure switch, a quick on and off to see what's there while simultaneously moving and/or the all important using the light to momentarily blind your quarry. I have seen articles/studies on it and the effects of your eyes adjusting to light in total darkness. Even some that had a couple guys, one with a light and one without, out of doors in total darkness. There is a reason military and LEO use them and it isn't because they lose gunfights.

So this statement here:

"A gun fight in the Dark, the first one that turns on a flash light loses, just sayin....."

Is categorically false.
Good to know, I let DoD know to come to you to rewrite all their categorically false tactics, techniques and procedures for using active sensor and night fighting.

Let me guess, "Tracers work both ways" is categorically false.

Its a very general statement, that would be false to claim is true for every situation. Which I made very clear by writing any entire paragraph afterwards to explain that.

You'll excuse me if I'll take my 20 years military experience over your opinion, the first lesson in active sensor technology, whether that be radar, sonar or lights, you will expose your position trying to acquire the enemy's position and very likely, by you going active first they will acquire your position before you acquire their position with active means.

I'll stand by for the claims exposing your position doesn't matter in combat. :cautious:

Screenshot_20221112-160428_Facebook.jpg

When I was working I carried a Fenix UC35 1000 Lumens/17000 candela and a Fenix RC05 300 Lumens/2000 candela.

Between the two I used the RC05 for most of my tasks, I only used the UC35 when I was approaching a vehicle at night or dealing with a trespasser. Any time I approached a suspicious person at night I'd bright beam them then apologize profusely while telling them I didn't realize they were there. They were still blind and I still had the advantage.

I was taught to NEVER walk around with my light on. I was taught to flash the area, get a general idea of what was going on, turn it off and move.

Good to know, I let DoD know to come to you to rewrite all their categorically false tactics, techniques and procedures for using active sensor and night fighting.

Let me guess, "Tracers work both ways" is categorically false.

Its a very general statement, that would be false to claim is true for every situation. Which I made very clear by writing any entire paragraph afterwards to explain that.

You'll excuse me if I'll take my 20 years military experience over your opinion, the first lesson in active sensor technology, whether that be radar, sonar or lights, you will expose your position trying to acquire the enemy's position and very likely, by you going active first they will acquire your position before you acquire their position with active means.

I'll stand by for the claims exposing your position doesn't matter in combat. :cautious:
You planning on going to war Rick? I don't think anyone else here is either.

And it goes without saying that if you deploy a light and you don't know what you're doing it could go very badly for you. Using all your awesome military night fire training and tactics to conclude that weapon mounted lights are nothing more than beacons to guide people to your location is ridiculous.

For the record I have no WMLs on any handguns. Just one I only recently put on a shotgun. Wanna know who does have them on their handguns though ? Almost all the guys I train under and with. Most of whom are military or LEO. Including one of my instructors who has 20+ years in each.

When I was working I carried a Fenix UC35 1000 Lumens/17000 candela and a Fenix RC05 300 Lumens/2000 candela.

Between the two I used the RC05 for most of my tasks, I only used the UC35 when I was approaching a vehicle at night or dealing with a trespasser. Any time I approached a suspicious person at night I'd bright beam them then apologize profusely while telling them I didn't realize they were there. They were still blind and I still had the advantage.
So you knew where the possible threat was before you turned on the flashlight. How else would you blind them shining it in their eyes. See this makes sense.
I was taught to NEVER walk around with my light on. I was taught to flash the area, get a general idea of what was going on, turn it off and move.
I have walked around with my flashlight on, in fact the one in the photo above, at night, on the goggles, walking down the flight line with turning and taxi-ing aircraft. I had a filter on the flashlight. But I wanted to make sure I was seen and not run-over by an aircraft at night.

That is one tactic for employing active sensors and lights. Perhaps not sonar, cause ships and subs don't move very fast and water transmits sound so well, they collect a lot of information remaining passive. You have to be very aware, you deploy the light, you reveal yourself before you find the enemy. Fire and Maneuver, except in this case you fire the light.
You planning on going to war Rick? I don't think anyone else here is either.
Umm, nothing carries over between a Gunfight in war and in civilian life? You seem to forget an entire paragraph acknowledging the differences and situations.
Seems to be an awful lot of post about carry and self-defense on this forum. Are you arguing flashlights are just a gucci toy for playing with on the range?
And it goes without saying that if you deploy a light and you don't know what you're doing it could go very badly for you.
You say it is categorically false, but now you say its goes without saying? Which is it?
Using all your awesome military night fire training and tactics to conclude that weapon mounted lights are nothing more than beacons to guide people to your location is ridiculous.
Please show me where I said that? Have you ever heard of a strawman argument?
For the record I have no WMLs on any handguns. Just one I only recently put on a shotgun. Wanna know who does have them on their handguns though ? Almost all the guys I train under and with. Most of whom are military or LEO. Including one of my instructors who has 20+ years in each.
Perhaps you should ask the guys you train under if this is categorically false?

"A gun fight in the Dark, the first one that turns on a flash light loses, just sayin.....

Yes, there are reason for having them and situations where you have to use a flashlight and a pistol at the same time.... ...think before you turn it on.... ....it also shows how dangerous cops jobs are, they have to follow rules the bad guys don't that puts them at a disadvantage, some of those rules probably make it necessary to use a flashlight while a bad guy won't identify the target before shooting and could fire randomly through doors, walls and into the dark...."

SO! Who's ready to yell out "over here" 1st ;) . A good position/strategy/defense before activating can help both. Not much difference on lasers.
Tracers work both ways, its the same for lasers....
Although depending on conditions you won't see the beam, but if you can see the dot, than someone near the dot can see the light in the laser.

You posted this as a sentence. Which I quoted and responded to. SO if you meant to add an 'Except when", you should have.

The sentence you posted as it's own stand alone paragraph is false since it very well could be " The first one to turn on the flashlight wins". And I'm pretty sure that's what I said.

It's like saying:

Carrying a gun with a manual safety will get you killed.

And then in the next paragraph going on about how that really isn't totally true or totally the whole story.

Why don't you read my post which has offended you. Particularly this part.

So this statement here:

Is categorically false."

Then tell me if that blanket statement is false.

Back