testtest

Review: XS Sights DXT2 Big Dot for the XD-S Mod.2 OSP

OK, I'm not alone here based on reading forum comments over time. Springfield Armory XD series sights are either nearly impossible, or impossible, to remove regardless of the sight pusher products one uses. I do not understand how a professional gunsmith is able to remove them ... sometimes. I've actually had one gunsmith give up on my XDM Elite and recommend that I send the slide in to Springfield Armory. Why in the world are Springfield sights so terrible to remove?

But, I just wanted to work on it myself. You know, satisfaction with a job well done. How much do you charge?
His prices are criminally low, his work is above reproach and his turn around times are ridiculously fast.

If you want to do the work yourself, there are a few threads around here detailing the trials and tribulations of the process with these guns. I would recommend acquiring the proper tools for the job.

His prices are criminally low, his work is above reproach and his turn around times are ridiculously fast.

If you want to do the work yourself, there are a few threads around here detailing the trials and tribulations of the process with these guns. I would recommend acquiring the proper tools for the job.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree that one should acquire the proper tools for the job. However, the research for the sight pusher tools reveals inadequate tools that can do the job that regular folks have access to. What sight pusher tools do professional gunsmiths use?

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree that one should acquire the proper tools for the job. However, the research for the sight pusher tools reveals inadequate tools that can do the job that regular folks have access to. What sight pusher tools do professional gunsmiths use?
For these guns I believe most of them are using brass punches and a BFH. I could be misremembering. That's why I suggest you use the search feature to find some of the threads on it.

For these guns I believe most of them are using brass punches and a BFH. I could be misremembering. That's why I suggest you use the search feature to find some of the threads on it.
Thanks again. Nothing appears in the search for gun sight installation tools. too, I have not been able to find a gunsmith who is willing to share information about what sight tool they use. Industrial secret apparently. One gunsmith that I used, and who was unable to remove the XDM sights, only offered to tell me the tool he uses removes everything and thus, if he can't remove it, it can't be removed. I finally did find a gunsmith who got the job done. A brass punch and BFH is cumbersome and also offers opportunities to damage the sights.

Thanks again. Nothing appears in the search for gun sight installation tools. too, I have not been able to find a gunsmith who is willing to share information about what sight tool they use. Industrial secret apparently. One gunsmith that I used, and who was unable to remove the XDM sights, only offered to tell me the tool he uses removes everything and thus, if he can't remove it, it can't be removed. I finally did find a gunsmith who got the job done. A brass punch and BFH is cumbersome and also offers opportunities to damage the sights.
What did the gunsmith use to get the job done ? Several people here who have had trouble getting the SA sights off reportedly had to use a brass punch and a hammer.

I was just speaking to the fact about the SA OEM sight removal being next to impossible, if downright impossible, without needing to send it to Springfield for removal.
I understand that, but I was speaking to the OP video where he says that XS has sights to fit "the full line of XD Springfield series.

OK, I'm not alone here based on reading forum comments over time. Springfield Armory XD series sights are either nearly impossible, or impossible, to remove regardless of the sight pusher products one uses. I do not understand how a professional gunsmith is able to remove them ... sometimes. I've actually had one gunsmith give up on my XDM Elite and recommend that I send the slide in to Springfield Armory. Why in the world are Springfield sights so terrible to remove?
David - for this article, I used the MGW Sight Pro mounted in a bench vise. Agree that the factory sights are stiff for sure, as are many brands (some are even more so!). This tool is very expensive if one is only interested in occasional use, but it is the best one made to my knowledge. I wrap a shop rag around the T handle or wear a glove and then give it all I've got. Once it breaks free, it gets better. I strongly advise against adding leverage to the T handle (and MGW warns that it will void their warranty if you do) - too much risk of breaking things. Most gun shops will install the sights for free or a small charge if you buy them through their store. Wishing you the best outcome! Thanks for reading/watching!

My first experience with this sort of thing was when I bought some Night Fision Tritium sights for my XD Mod.2 subcompact. Went to a local GS and he not only broke the old white dot front sight trying to get it out, he also broke the new front sight trying to get it in. To his credit, he went online (while I was in the shop) and ordered a Trijicon front sight to replace the one he'd broken. When I went to pick up the gun, front and rear sights were both in and centered, although there were still some brass marks on the front of the slide (which kind of ticked me off because it was a new pistol at the time). However, he only charged me for 30 minutes of work, so I felt like he did the right things to try and make it right.
I still haven't been back to him. But listening to others' experiences, it seems I'm not alone in knowing (and my local GS also remarked on it) that Springfield must hermetically seal their sights when they mount them, because those buggers are in their tight!

My XD-M .45 ACP, I gave up trying to punch the sights out of the slide, sight pusher was no go either....
There is a specific XD sight pusher that no kidding uses a wrench to turn the screw to push the sights...
I ended up cutting the sights out of my slide with a Dremel...

So, on my XD-M Elite 10mm that has the fiber optic front sight and "U" rear sight, I tried something different...
I assumed perhaps loctite might be used and that is the reason for the difficulty in removing the sights...
So I soaked the sights in acetone for a whole day, and since acetone evaporates quickly, I mean I kept re-applying acetone again and again over a day....

Methylene chloride is suppose to be the solvent to use with Loctite, but its been banned everywhere, its no longer used in paint stripper anymore....

The Acetone given enough time to soak in seemed to the trick. Or perhaps these sights are different than the others, but I was able to pound the sights out with minimal marks or damage (it took a lot of force, just short of what would marr the sights)...

I also pounded them out right to left and inserted new left to right....
I've seen half as many say it makes no difference and half as many say its designed left to right to go in, and right to left to go out...
Going left to right still fits in the advice that you can go either way.....

Back