testtest

Why People Hate the 1911 (and Why They’re Wrong)

Go look at my lawn mower LOL...

Well maybe not so funny as I walk by the vehicles to do so and the workbench and tool box. Yeah I have OCD, now I know owning a 1911 is a sure sign... I do, but it is a 1916 version and lives a live a life of leisure and damn it is a pretty thing sitting next to working stiffs in .45 ACP. The 645, USP and 45 Tactical are jealous as they go to the range and get dirty, but the Colt never sees that due to the OCD thing. Yep Great Great Grandpa's gun can, in a world of poly, still turn heads and a record time on steel. Over a hundred years later Browning's brain child is still Boss...

One thing I will disagree with is that there are plenty of inexpensive, well built 1911s out there these days. My $479 Tisas Duty BR9 is a fantastic pistol that looks dead sexy, shoots as accurately as anything I have, has an 3.5lb trigger and has never given me a second’s grief. It has earned its place next to my Prodigy. I’m not convinced that the axiom - You get what you pay for necessarily applies to 1911s because they are mechanically proven.

Starting with a revolver and running DA/SA hammer fired (still use them today) and working as a instructor seeing a lot of the Tacticool crowd coming and going I hear a lot of them complain about revolvers and 1911’s and DA/SA’s. Everything from they aren’t dependable, they are old and nowadays they don’t hold enough rounds (they should probably research realistic probabilities and after actions in civilian shootings but John Wick is a thing with some)

Sure striker fired guns are a great tool and yea you can go shoot a 1,000-1,500 round 3 day course but is that a realistic comparison?

We had great quality courses back in the day that never went above a 4-500 round count in a 2 or 3 day weekend. And it was Quality training over all the Ballistic Masterbation drills today! And while you might have wiped down and ran a rod down the barrel or cylinder 1911’s and revolvers ran fine (IF one did their part with quality ammunition like any platform crappy ammo isn’t the guns fault)

Where they have an issue is running a 1,000-1,500 round so if that’s what one is into and they treat their gun like a lawn mower a striker is probably better for them!

1911’a are more dependable than a lot want to believe. plenty of people have issues with strikers I’ve seen with their home made YouTube armorer attempts at an match or any of the training courses I attend each year from many top name relevant teachers!

The US Military used the 1911 for 70+ yrs. It worked.
I think folks dont like a 1911 because its harder to train on than a 9mm due to recoil. It takes most a bit longer to master a .45 than a 9mm .
The Browning Hi Power and German semi autos were prevalent during and after WW2. If the 1911 was not good, it would not have made it thru so many conflicts of war and US would have switched to another design like our peers or enemies

I dont carry a .45 daily due to weight of a nice fully loaded 1911. Has nothing to do with round count.
Heck for a long time I carried a 10 rd 228 and hi-power.

It boils down to training and mastery. Most cant master a 9mm plastic wonder let alone a heavier .45 and recoil.

Only thing I hate about the 1911 is, I don’t have enough of them…….😬
One Saturday morning I was sitting on the floor in front of the closet when the wife walked in. She asked what I was doing. I told her I was trying to decide which guns to take to the range. She said I had too many and walked out. Monday morning I walked in on my wife standing in front of the closet. I asked what she was doing and she told me she was trying to decide which dress to wear to work. I said she had too many dresses to which she replied she couldn't have too many. So short story long Annihilator you can't have too many 1911s.

Unlike many here, I only have one 1911. I love to carry it and shoot it. I have one complaint about the 1911. It’s a PITA to take down to clean. I just don’t like having to compress the recoil spring, put that compression tool in the little hole and keep it from falling out, line up the slide release and then put that slide release back in its tiny little groove to reassemble. Didn’t stop me from getting one or stop me from shooting and cleaning it, but it would be nice if were a little less troublesome to work on.

Unlike many here, I only have one 1911. I love to carry it and shoot it. I have one complaint about the 1911. It’s a PITA to take down to clean. I just don’t like having to compress the recoil spring, put that compression tool in the little hole and keep it from falling out, line up the slide release and then put that slide release back in its tiny little groove to reassemble. Didn’t stop me from getting one or stop me from shooting and cleaning it, but it would be nice if were a little less troublesome to work on.
oooohh.....you have a bull barrel

i had the Emissary that had that, and i really did HATE that cuz of my age, and it was hard for me to compress that recoil spring as well.

in the end, it was sold off.

no more bull barrels for me.

AFTER I learned about idiot scratching (don't ask...you already know), I've come to find a 1911 deep clean to be the most satisfying gun-cleaning I do. I only have GI guide-rod designs, and don't think I'll buy anything that requires a paperclip, but even a simple field-strip is now almost as much fun as shooting...in fact I've been known to do it for no good reason once in a while...now where did I leave that Ronin....?

One Saturday morning I was sitting on the floor in front of the closet when the wife walked in. She asked what I was doing. I told her I was trying to decide which guns to take to the range. She said I had too many and walked out. Monday morning I walked in on my wife standing in front of the closet. I asked what she was doing and she told me she was trying to decide which dress to wear to work. I said she had too many dresses to which she replied she couldn't have too many. So short story long Annihilator you can't have too many 1911s.
And you survived...

I have a few. I carry them occasionally. Certainly don't hate them.

Obviously there are exceptions. Usually on a gun by gun basis, but generally speaking off the shelf 1911s are going to need a little more love and maintenance to perform flawlessly. They're definitely more picky about ammo and unless you get a custom job you very often will have to polish and even change parts to get the kind of performance you want out of them.

Generally, if I am carrying a gun that only holds 8 rounds it's something small enough to conceal under a t-shirt. Like a Shield. If I'm carrying full size it's going to be a minimum of 13. Generally.

I have a few. I carry them occasionally. Certainly don't hate them.

Obviously there are exceptions. Usually on a gun by gun basis, but generally speaking off the shelf 1911s are going to need a little more love and maintenance to perform flawlessly. They're definitely more picky about ammo and unless you get a custom job you very often will have to polish and even change parts to get the kind of performance you want out of them.

Generally, if I am carrying a gun that only holds 8 rounds it's something small enough to conceal under a t-shirt. Like a Shield. If I'm carrying full size it's going to be a minimum of 13. Generally.
I have one that holds 15 in the Mag and 1 in the pipe and I don't think I can hide it on my skinny butt, anywhere... Maybe a skinny 1911 might work.

Back