testtest

1911 Caliber Choice

Everyone may and will probably have different opinions on this based on their personal use of their 1911.
However, I personally like the 1911 in the .45ACP.
Reason being is the 1911 was originally designed in this caliber. So I feel the reliability is proven in this caliber. The availability of the .45 ammunition can be found anywhere you buy ammunition. Though 10mm is a great round. It's a hot load and would be best in a six inch 1911 only. Just my opinion. The 9mm though very accurate in a 1911, I just feel the 9mm would be better suited for a polymer platform pistol.
But as always all of this is just ones personal preference. What works for me may not work for someone else.

I have a EMP CCC in 40 cal. love it. I Have 5 1911 in 45 acp If I were to get a new one it would be in 40 cal or 10mm full size

All of mine are 9mm. I did this for two main reasons. One, it's hard to argue with the efficiency of stocking up on a single type of ammunition. Two, I prefer more rounds per magazine. I figure a 9mm will do just about anything you need it to assuming you're capable of decent shot placement. I know I'm consistently more accurate with 9mm and knowing I have a few more rounds available before needing to reload both go a long way toward feeling prepared.

Must say i really like my 1911 4 inch barrel -9mm -pretty accurate lil sucker i do carry once in a while = not as bad as i thought it be - personal preference is the key word , Being Retired you need to save every penny you can with this Enjoyable hobby

I personally like having a variety of calibers. Reason being for example: If ammunition becomes scarce and the only thing available is .40 and I don't own a .40 I have no recourse but to go home empty handed. Again just ones preference.

If we are talking standard pattern single stack 1911, then a DW or LB in 10mm are then only things still calling to me. Although I am eternally tempted by some of the STI 2011 guns in 9mm. And then I look at the price of the relatively finicky mags I would be dropping on concrete over and over and talk myself right back out of it until the itch flares back up...

If you were going to get a new 1911 what caliber would you choose? 9mm, 10mm or 45acp.
I did get a new one recently and the only Cal I would consider at the time is 45acp of course!:cool:
Now I have other Cals and have fallen in love with the 357 SIG.... A little tricky to reload but
my goodness what a nice round to shoot. Sooooooo I have told the wonderful woman that
married me if she gets in a gifting mood a 1911 in 357 SIG would be totally acceptable.

I like variety so I have 1911s in 45 ACP, 9mm, 38 Super and 10mm.

I got into the 10mm early last year and it has become a favorite caliber. I usually carry a 10mm with me when deer hunting and managed to ruin a feral hogs day with one last year.

My 1911 is .45. I just look at it as traditional and effective. Unfortunately it’s more expensive to shoot than 9mm.

I have 1911's in 45, 10mm, 9mm, and 38 Super. I reload, and cast my own bullets, so ammo cost is not a factor. If I was to get another 1911, I would opt for a lightweight commander to carry on my hip during walks with the dog.

I know 9mm is insanely popular right now in the 1911 (and I get why, with cheaper ammo and lighter recoil), but for me the 1911 just seems like it should be in .45. However, I do get an itch for a 10mm one from time to time, I have to say....

I would more then likely get one in 9mm, I used to have several 1911’s in 45acp, all Springfields, but due to an injury on my wrist, I can’t manage one in 45 anymore, had surgery to repair several torn tendons and reattached a ligament. I am currently looking at the Springfield EMP right now, like the way it looks and the way it handles, tried a rental at the gun range.

Have them in .45 and 9mm, each has their place, and would like to get a .38 super just because. I saw a colt chambered in .38 special at a LGS on consignment several months ago and had never heard of it before, evidently they were popular years ago for competitions.

Back