testtest

1911 for Home Defense — The Best Choice?

accidental discharge 1911. Ive had 2 accidental discharges in 55+ years. one involved holstering NEW .45 in the holster, yep you guessed it , learning to handle it and getting familar I loaded the mag, pushed it down tight in the leather holster . drew the pistol and did a dry fire. BANG . nice .45 hole in bed and wall. The tight leather holster pulled the slide back engaging a round, pulling it out, chambered the round.....I know none of you would ever do such a stupid thing ,but just saying, muzzle control all the time everytime is great insurance.

accidental discharge 1911. Ive had 2 accidental discharges in 55+ years. one involved holstering NEW .45 in the holster, yep you guessed it , learning to handle it and getting familar I loaded the mag, pushed it down tight in the leather holster . drew the pistol and did a dry fire. BANG . nice .45 hole in bed and wall. The tight leather holster pulled the slide back engaging a round, pulling it out, chambered the round.....I know none of you would ever do such a stupid thing ,but just saying, muzzle control all the time everytime is great insurance.
Why, lord, WHY would you put a loaded magazine in a pistol you intended to dry fire?!?

IMG_3550.gif

I had an accidental discharge with a 1911 about five years ago. Really don't like admitting it, but it did. I had just finished cleaning the pistol, loaded it, round in the chamber. Raised it up looked down the sight and pulled the trigger. Boom, it fired hitting a square in the calendar I was aiming at. Scared the crap out of me. Immediately I was worried where the bullet ended up. The 230 grain Speer Gold dot went through the wall, found it laying on my concrete patio floor. Boy was I relieved. Will never let something like that happen again.

ask myself same question a couple times. muzzle control saved me.
God knows Im not perfect. Making a mistake like I did could've ended horribly, someone being injured or killed. As I'.ve already said something like this will never happen again. I wouldn't be surprised if a member in this forum has had an accidental discharge, for obvious reasons won't admit it. If telling my story could help a shooter be more careful in their gun handling, that's a good thing.

6-9 intruders and one would be hard pressed to get more than 2-3 if they pressed the attack.
I would asses that when shot are fired by a homeowner in a home invasion that two things could happen:
- perps flee even if its 6-9 as they prob dont want to get shot
-perps shoot back, but still flee
When shots are fired , the gig is up, so intruders beat feet. No sense of a robbery now that the whole world knows the cops are coming.

A 10 round micro compact, 8 round .45 or 6 round revolver will all get the job done.

If I feel I need 30 rounds of anything, it would be an SBR, as my AR-15’s are unwieldy in cqb and I go for short

^^THIS^^

As the well respected Pat Rogers use to say the mission should drive the gear.

At the risk of someone taking offense I’ll say this.
Nothing against a Glock or Sig super macro comped whatever with a 17 round mag however folks get too wrapped up around magazine capacity. A 6 shot revolver or 1911 is fine for most mortal boring life homeowners. As we won’t be responding to somebody else’s 911 emergency. With any home issue you will run out of time before you run out of rounds.

And if you go through a 10,15 or 17 round mag your statement will be an interesting read. I’d also presume the drywall repair would be extensive!

.45 Combat Commander for me. Certainly not my only HD/SD carry, but one I love and trust, there's something "eternal" about it. God bless JMB and bury a Colt CC with me!(y)
For home defense, realistically, if possible I would grab my Mossie 500 (by the bed) or the Mforgery I keep handy in my TV-watching seat... The pistols are handy tho and readily available.

Last edited:
here in my state, we have that insipid magazine ban of only 10 rounds.

i'd like at least that many. so i'd not use any of my 1911's, but rather i have a G-30, with 10+1.

as well as my G-17, and Hellcat.

i love all my 1911's, but not to carry, and not for home defense.

i have a few other 45's for that duty, if i wish to.
ok, do your research, 1911's are not limited to 7 or 8 rounds, and i would take a springfield XDM over a crap glock any day, i have a couple, .40 cal and 10mm. they shoot better than a glock hands down(my nephew has glocks, highly modified yet still dont shoot as good as the XDM's). what you see here are a couple items that are way better than a "G" series gun that both use 10 round mags. #1 is a springfield 1911 with a rare springfield 10 round mag. #2 is a para ordnance P-10 subcompact (smaller that a colt officer size) that holds 10+1. so why not carry a 1911 ? no reason not to. oh by the way, my pic is of 2 springfields, 1 is a fullsize 1911 double stack, 14+1 and an officer size 12+1, gotta love not having mag restrictions.

Attachments

• 20240105_010209.jpg
    20240105_010209.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 20240105_010318.jpg
    20240105_010318.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
I keep my 15+1 P365 next to my pillow, plus an AK-47 (Zastava ZPAP M70 with a 30-round mag) at hand.

Love my 10mm 1911, but it just doesn't have the capacity for an assault I hear about with 6-9 mauraders on a home invasion.

The 16" barrel and short OAL of the AK vs. my AR seems better for my HD. JIMO.
XDM .40 16+1 and an AR in 7.62x39 with 7.5" barrel and 30 round mag by my bed. and yes,i have a romanian AK and standard AR both in 7.62x39 also. none of that weak 5.56 crap for me.

ok, do your research, 1911's are not limited to 7 or 8 rounds, and i would take a springfield XDM over a crap glock any day, i have a couple, .40 cal and 10mm. they shoot better than a glock hands down(my nephew has glocks, highly modified yet still dont shoot as good as the XDM's). what you see here are a couple items that are way better than a "G" series gun that both use 10 round mags. #1 is a springfield 1911 with a rare springfield 10 round mag. #2 is a para ordnance P-10 subcompact (smaller that a colt officer size) that holds 10+1. so why not carry a 1911 ? no reason not to. oh by the way, my pic is of 2 springfields, 1 is a fullsize 1911 double stack, 14+1 and an officer size 12+1, gotta love not having mag restrictions.
i'm happy for you....you can carry a bazooka if you want to...

here as i stated, i guess you cannot read..?? we are LIMITED to 10 rounds....as far as magazine capacity is concerned.....

understand and hear me now..>??

further, 1911's ARE HEAVY FOR SOME OF US OLDER PEOPLE......hear me now..>???

you think i wanna carry a heavy gun, with the added weight of more rounds.....??? are you HEARING ME NOW..????

further, the police SEIZE our gun in a shooting event, and only from what i heard, (i have no absolute proof of LEO here in MY AREA), police mark up a gun that they seize, for evidence...

you think i'm gonna sacrifice an expensive 1911 that I OWN for something like that to happen to any of my 1911's...??

i'd rather it be any of my PERFECTLY GREAT GLOCKS, or Hellcat, over any 1911 that i own...HEAR ME NOW..????

as i said, i am happy for you

you do what makes you happy

i'll do what i want to do...hear me now..????

do your own damned research........i do enough for what i want/need to know.....

Glocks aren't "crap". They are in use privately and by public agencies around the free world. For a reason.

Glocks aren't "crap". They are in use privately and by public agencies around the free world. For a reason.
becuause they are cheap. Glock gives LEOs a great deal.

They aren't crap, but they ain't great either. Their soulless pieces of plastic with subpar triggers and a horrible grip angle.

The only thing good about Glocks is that they are reliable. Which is a great feature in a handgun. But there are plenty of other options on the market that are, too

becuause they are cheap. Glock gives LEOs a great deal.

They aren't crap, but they ain't great either. Their soulless pieces of plastic with subpar triggers and a horrible grip angle.

The only thing good about Glocks is that they are reliable. Which is a great feature in a handgun. But there are plenty of other options on the market that are, too
i don't find a Glocks grip angle to be an issue.

if i can shoot any gun, as i have shown with posted pics of my targets, then i can shoot a Glock as well

i think it's just "some sort" of hate for a gun company, such as Glock, that is not expensive, does the job, and does it dependably, that irks people, cuz they think a better or greater gun, NEED to cost more..??

this target is from my first few months of owning my G-17....you can see the date.....other than some "fliers", could you deny that i hit center, many times..?? and remember, i only bought the gun around jan/feb of 2020....when i FIRST started, meaning, (i think) not bad shooting a gun, with what did you say..??? a "horrible grip angle"...????

1704460025530.png

Back