testtest

1911 not staying open on last round sometimes?

If you get a hankering for new mags check out the Vickers mags sold by Wilson. I've had a lot of experience with the .45 Vickers and it's the only mags I use now. I've had no experience with the Vickers 9mm mags but if they are anything like the .45 you may have found your last mags. They're expensive but worth every penny.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/MAGAZI...-SIZE-8-ROUND-STEEL-BASE-PAD/productinfo/800/

Ok thank you sir I will. Thanks for the site

Hey took the gun out and only had time to run a few mags but I guess you're right. I was careful where my thumb was and four out of four mags the slide stayed open. So I'm going to say that's it. Strange never had that happen in many years and different gun . Thanks for the help
You're welcome. I hope that was the issue since it is easy enough to fix by adjusting your grip. I use a high grip with both my M&P9 and my mil-spec 1911 without issue. It was only when shooting the PDP that I had an issue with the slide not locking back on the last round. I shot 3 different PDP's at 3 different times and this happened with each one. The RSO (owner of PDP #3) pointed out that my grip was interfering with the slide release. Changed my grip a bit and problem solved. Now I know that is something to consider when shooting a new gun. Learned something new.
Enjoy shooting that Garrison!

I exclusively use Kimber mags in my 9mm Custom II 1911 in 9mm and there .45 mags in my Pro Carry II,

You're welcome. I hope that was the issue since it is easy enough to fix by adjusting your grip. I use a high grip with both my M&P9 and my mil-spec 1911 without issue. It was only when shooting the PDP that I had an issue with the slide not locking back on the last round. I shot 3 different PDP's at 3 different times and this happened with each one. The RSO (owner of PDP #3) pointed out that my grip was interfering with the slide release. Changed my grip a bit and problem solved. Now I know that is something to consider when shooting a new gun. Learned something new.
Enjoy shooting that Garrison!

Agreed, it could be that you are riding the slide lock release. But if it is not that, it may be the magazine spring or the follower.
Randomhero thank you also. you both solved my problem I hope lol . Like the other I learned something new. Now if I can remember lol

Something or me is screwing up the posting?
ANYWAYS if any ones intrested the factory mag that spits ammo also I looked closer the mag has scrape marks top and bottom on one side . So the mag is definitely messed up. Thanks everyone Im glad I joined this site. Been shooting for many years and sometimes I still need help
Thanks

Agreed, it could be that you are riding the slide lock release. But if it is not that, it may be the magazine spring or the follower.
👆👆 my thought 👆👆

I’m a small guy, and not stocky or with big hands. I had same experience as OP described, and after some cleaning of both 1911s and the mags, and then some head scratching, I started paying attention to my grip and…
Lo & behold, it’s my support hand (left hand) thumb that was interfering with the slide stop. It was esp noticeable on my Wilson which has an extended slide release.
Just something I’ve got to be conscious of, and develop a slightly modified habit of grip.

I called and they are sending me a new mag soon free. Thanks for the tip
From what you said I guess getting a extended release wouldn't help me ?
Well, I can’t say for certain obviously… but I’ll put it this way: I wanted the extended release when I ordered my Wilson on the expectation I’d be able to release with my right hand thumb (shooting hand). Still can’t quite reach it ! And now I’m interfering with the last-round rear lock…
I’ll be ordering a regular size Bullet Proof release from Wilson.
I think I was messing around too much with different grip-memories between my Wilson and other 1911s. Too old for that. Will be reverting to my original grip for all of them.

Well, I can’t say for certain obviously… but I’ll put it this way: I wanted the extended release when I ordered my Wilson on the expectation I’d be able to release with my right hand thumb (shooting hand). Still can’t quite reach it ! And now I’m interfering with the last-round rear lock…
I’ll be ordering a regular size Bullet Proof release from Wilson.
Guess I really don’t want two different grip-memories between my Wilson and other 1911s. Too old for that.
Thats the second time I've heard someone say something good about the Wilson bullet proof release ? Care to tell me what the reason is ? (Not being a smart ass)

Thats the second time I've heard someone say something good about the Wilson bullet proof release ? Care to tell me what the reason is ? (Not being a smart ass)
Well, since it’s a Wilson (CQB) I thought I’d use their part.. if that’s what your asking. I think their Bullet Proof line has some sorta advantages (or so they claim?).

But I did notice they offer a ‘regular’ slide release (and other non-Bullet Proof parts). It’s about half the cost.

My CqB has a few other BP parts so guess I’ll stick with it. ;)

Back