testtest

.257 Roberts: Is It Time To Bury Ol’ Bob?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Performance-wise, .257 Roberts can keep up with the best of them, so why is this cartridge so overlooked?

1695775034798.png

The 257 Roberts is an under appreciated cartridge. Most people persist in under loading the thing to their own detriment. Load it up to 62000 psi in your good bolt action rifle and you will get 3100 fps with a really good 110gr Accubond. Take that to the deer stand.

I'll keep my 257 Roberts. It is a great cartridge.
I have dies for it, I shot the Sierra 75 gr HP for varmints and the Sierra 87 gr Spitzer for larger sized game.
It is on a Sako L579 action.
Not long after I had it built you could buy a Remington 700, Ruger 77 or Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts.

The article should have compared it to the sister cart., the 6mm Remington. :)

I have a Remington 700 Classic in 257 Roberts. My go to load is a 115 gr BT at 3100 fps from the 24" barrel. Being a long/Magnum action, my coal is 2.900" which allows for more case capacity and lower pressure. It is essentially a 25-06. Case life is very good too.

Last edited:
I use a Savage 99 in 250 Savage, a down powered Roberts. Nothing wrong with either round. If you need a .257 Bee or such, maybe you need a larger caliber for hunting.

The only thing wrong with it is the name. Rename it the 6.5 Whittington Ultra (or 6.5 Super Slayer😳) and it’d fly off the shelves🙄. Way too many folks simply must have the latest and greatest. Frankly, in cartridges there’s really nothing new Capability wise over what’s existed for years. The “Creedmore” won’t do much a 6.5 Swede form over 100 years ago doesn’t do equally well except fit in a shorter action. The .30 Super Carry is a glorified 7.5French Long, etc. The old .257 remains what it’s always been-a darn fine round.

Back